Finishing Finals games early

This is from left field.....While watching both one sided prelim finals games l thought about coaches resting some of their players early, preparing them for the Grand Final and reducing the chance of them getting injured . If a team is so far in front towards the end of the final quarter like Melbourne and the Bulldogs were and unable to be beaten why not give the losing coaches the opportunity to conceed the game before the required end time. l know it might not been seen as the right thing to do but the whole winnning team could then be saved from the chances of injuries. Being 8 goal up with 5 minutes to play l cant see the losing team winning from there and it would naturally start with 5 minutes to go in the last quarter. We dont want players being injured in the final moments of the game and not being able to play in the Grand Final when there is nothing left to play for...especially when percentage is not an issue...

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It already has been happening in a defacto way for years. The team that's winning takes it a bit easier, puts their guns on the bench.

I even think sometimes players have eased up a bit early, leading to comebacks that don't quite make it. Adelaide and Port vs Hawks last decade come to mind. So you need to be careful.

However, a grand final place is to be earned. So we don't finish the game early. The reward for taking a massive lead into the final quarter is that it probably won't be too intense anyway.

It already has been happening in a defacto way for years. The team that's winning takes it a bit easier, puts their guns on the bench.

I even think sometimes players have eased up a bit early, leading to comebacks that don't quite make it. Adelaide and Port vs Hawks last decade come to mind. So you need to be careful.

However, a grand final place is to be earned. So we don't finish the game early. The reward for taking a massive lead into the final quarter is that it probably won't be too intense anyway.

Resting gun players l understand but l was thinking more of the whole team just in case a "Josh Bruce situtation occurs" in the final minutes of a game thats already decided and a players misses out playing in a GF because of an injury or report that could have been avoided....if the other team cant win then why continue. l understand betting could be affected but isnt betting a gamble anyway...and this would only happen in finals..

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
In the 1980 QF Richmond were leading Carlton 18 goals to 5 with about 5 minutes to go, and, quite obviously, the call from the bench came out 'No injuries, no suspensions!'. It was quite bizarre - Richmond basically stoped tackling or putting any pressure on. I reckon I could have got a kick out there. Carlton kicked 5 goals in those 5 minutes.

It happens in the NFL where they have basically an unlimited bench - in the weeks leading up to the playoffs (and indeed, during the playoffs), every year there is at least one occasion where a QB is injured in the last 5 minutes of a game that is already won, and the media narrative is 'Blame the Coach for leaving him out there'!

If you are going to have this 'only for finals' then what about 'week berfore finals' if a side has already wrapped up a finals berth?

In the 1980 QF Richmond were leading Carlton 18 goals to 5 with about 5 minutes to go, and, quite obviously, the call from the bench came out 'No injuries, no suspensions!'. It was quite bizarre - Richmond basically stoped tackling or putting any pressure on. I reckon I could have got a kick out there. Carlton kicked 5 goals in those 5 minutes.

It happens in the NFL where they have basically an unlimited bench - in the weeks leading up to the playoffs (and indeed, during the playoffs), every year there is at least one occasion where a QB is injured in the last 5 minutes of a game that is already won, and the media narrative is 'Blame the Coach for leaving him out there'!

If you are going to have this 'only for finals' then what about 'week berfore finals' if a side has already wrapped up a finals berth?

Because ladder positions can change during the last week of the season in regards to wins, loses and percentage this is when its up to the playing clubs to decide who gets to be benched during the final minutes of the game . Season games should go the full distance. This should only be for finals...

Back