Opinion Finishing skills in the AFL are embarassing

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
For professional athletes in the sport's elite code, finishing skills i.e. kicking for goal either in general play or via set shot are embarrassing. This is highlighted more when you compare the finishing skills (scoring skills) to pro basketball, American football field goals, rugby league spot kicks, ice hockey, golf, soccer (a dubious one but the very best players can do some ridiculous things).

I know AFL players do a lot of things well, but actually putting the ball between the big sticks and scoring is continuously terrible, in most games, most weeks, the overall standard is shocking in this area. Not all the time, but far too often.

Last edited:

Funny that, always happens. We just saw something pretty rare though, did you see the rest of the match? The point still stands.

Skill wise the quality is down from 10 years ago. Losing count of how many times players miss time kicks, have to go to their preferred side to get a kick across as no left which then causes an error and constant kicks our on the foul.

I know AFL players do a lot of things well
Such as? Definitely not running, compared to pro track sprinters and marathoners. Definitely not tackling, compared to rugby players and wrestlers. Definitely not marking, compared to random-catchy-bally-game or some-other-s**t-example-just-to-back-up-my-dumb-point.

No sport has the variable of "the ball drop" that's where error comes in.
You could say the same about a lot of sports though, they practice their skill whatever it be, it's not as if the ball drop is a new thing on gameday, these guys just don't seem to execute what should be fairly basic shots.

Is it a lack of repetition? People often say fatigue or pressure, but fatigue and pressure aren't unique to AFL, and they don't apply all the time

Such as? Definitely not running, compared to pro track sprinters and marathoners. Definitely not tackling, compared to rugby players and wrestlers. Definitely not marking, compared to random-catchy-bally-game or some-other-sh*t-example-just-to-back-up-my-dumb-point.
No, marking they certainly do better than other similar skills like the NFL and NRL, the AFLs aerial skills are better than most, so your retort doesn't apply.

I think the coaches are implementing a complicated game plan that is beyond most players. If they stripped it back and let the players play on instinct than you might see an improvement. I see so many players miss open shots on the run that i'm convinced they do not practice this skill set at training.

No sport has the variable of "the ball drop" that's where error comes in.
Agree - that's the thing that makes AFL set shots unique - makes the skill much harder than kicking off a tee.

For that reason, I think the AFL should make another(!!!:mad::mad:) rule change - remove the place kick from theLaws (technically you can still do one). I guess the 30-second rule pretty much excludes it, but the NRL can squeeze another couple of ads in while the player is setting up the shot.

BTW, the overall success rate for field goals in the NRL (which are generally taken less than 30 metres out, straight in front - average is about 24 metres out) is less than 40%. Past 30 metres out, the average is less than 20%. Only 5 players have had a better than 50% success rate in the last 7 years.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06...field-goal-tips-secrets-jamie-soward/12371212

Last edited:
I think the coaches are implementing a complicated game plan that is beyond most players. If they stripped it back and let the players play on instinct than you might see an improvement. I see so many players miss open shots on the run that i'm convinced they do not practice this skill set at training.
And that training of the game plan takes time. Time from skill training. Biggest difference I noticed as a Geelong supporter was the return of Gary Ablett. His finishing skills compared to our current crop is ridiculous. With limited opportunities he was becoming our most valuable player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

finishing skills are poor on traditional drop punts but players seem to get round the corner goals from the pocket multiple times a match.

Some of those kicks that are now routine would have been talked about as goal of the year type kicks a generation ago.

Even seeing some of Daicos' highlights recently i was thinking those dribbles happen way more often too.

It’s 100% fatigue. They run end to end now at sprint speed over and over again. Not comparable to basketball since they shoot with their arms (and run with their legs). Not comparable to soccer where there’s far fewer strikes. AFL guys are absolutely pumped full of lactic acid when they kick now - even more than ten years ago. Another reason why I think they should trial zones - players skills would be better as they’d be fresher when executing them

For professional athletes in the sport's elite code, finishing skills i.e. kicking for goal either in general play or via set shot are embarrassing. This is highlighted more when you compare the finishing skills (scoring skills) to pro basketball, American football field goals, rugby league spot kicks, ice hockey, golf, soccer (a dubious one but the very best players can do some ridiculous things).

I know AFL players do a lot of things well, but actually putting the ball between the big sticks and scoring is continuously terrible, in most games, most weeks, the overall standard is shocking in this area. Not all the time, but far too often.

Most of your comparisons are highly flawed.

It’s 100% fatigue. They run end to end now at sprint speed over and over again. Not comparable to basketball since they shoot with their arms (and run with their legs). Not comparable to soccer where there’s far fewer strikes. AFL guys are absolutely pumped full of lactic acid when they kick now - even more than ten years ago. Another reason why I think they should trial zones - players skills would be better as they’d be fresher when executing them
How do you explain players missing goals in the 1st quarter when they're fresh?

Good question. I would say probably because they start to get lactic acid build up as soon as they are doing sustained sprint efforts, which happens from the first bounce. Whereas a plugger or a loyd never did. But would be interesting to measure, to see if goal kicking accuracy does actually drop off as games progress, or even if it drops off as quarters progress

I think if Tony Lockett had to run 10 - 15km a game his accuracy would have suffered.
The quote above is the question owen87 , players haven't run 10-15km early in the game, when accuracy is just as big an issue.
How often do people comment "they should be up by 5 goals if they kicked straight" by quarter time? Fatigue isn't the only issue here.

They are all about repeatable skill execution, but ignoring them then, what do you think of the goal kicking standards in the AFL?

Sure, repeatable skill execution, but not all skills are equivalent in difficulty and impressiveness.

As for goal kicking, accuracy rose consistently up until about 2000, after which it has leveled out and perhaps gone down a tad, the stats show.

A lot of it actually comes down to not players getting worse but the spread of goalkickers becoming more broad.

On average, people who take more shots are more accurate. Makes sense... forwards practice more than midfielders and definitely more than defenders. The difference though is that the spread of goal kickers is increasing, and so if you have more midfielders and even defenders having shots at goal, this will bring down the average.

The quote above is the question owen87 , players haven't run 10-15km early in the game, when accuracy is just as big an issue.
How often do people comment "they should be up by 5 goals if they kicked straight" by quarter time? Fatigue isn't the only issue here.

Good question. I would say probably because they start to get lactic acid build up as soon as they are doing sustained sprint efforts, which happens from the first bounce. Whereas a plugger or a loyd never did. But would be interesting to measure, to see if goal kicking accuracy does actually drop off as games progress, or even if it drops off as quarters progress

This would be part of the answer; players are doing hard running pretty much from the outset.

The other side is that if players can't handle the running workload then they simply won't make it at AFL level, there'd be a number of state league guys who are likely more accurate set shots than AFL players, but lack the rest of the skills required.

If you're a dead-eye set shot but can't do the repeat sprints to lead, offer a defensive presence, contest a mark, or work in a full-ground zone, then you're not going to have a long career.

Also consider that with modern defences they're quite good at protecting the 0 - 35m corridor so it might be that forwards are getting less high quality looks at goal.

There's more to being a forward than just kicking for goal, as silly as that sounds, and someone like Lockett may not make much impact in the modern game.

This article provides a reasonable overview of some of the factors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back