Finishing your side - reserves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
So now most people would be close to having a complete side. What are people's plans for the final run home? Will you be wanting to keep a decent D7, M9, R3, F7 for insurance? Or will you keep cashing those guys out and finish off upgrading those slightly less premos on the field to the most expensive super premos available?

Personally I got burnt twice in 2 weeks by planning on keeping Mitchell as M8 and not having anything better than Hrovat as emergency when Barlow and Ablett missed a game each. My reserves this week - McKenzie, Mitchell, Nicholls and Staker averaged 96 points. Im very happy to just keep those guys as backup for now. Stokes and Buddy both pulled out this week so it was worth having decent cover.

But coming into finals I think it really could be worth the risk downgrading your bench and going for glory in the grand final win.

What plans does everyone else have?

Like you, I am happy with my reserves. I think it's always good insurance to have solid guys on your bench. Especially in the last few weeks. My team is where I want it so I plan on upgrading my bench spots to guys who have dropped a bit but have the scope to score well

Looking at the following guys to warm the bench

Def: Ellis, grimes

Mid: currently have cotchin there with Neade as a m/f link

Ruck: Nichols

Forward: currently Dwyer as a m/f link and will probably look at getting in another premo to switch for fixturing

At the moment my reserves are

Back: Ellis/Clisby
Mid: Luke Ball/Hrovat
Ruck: Nicholls/Currie
Fwd: Staker/Lee

Upgrading Staker to a premo once at high cash point and team done, just upgrading premos to super premos to go.

I'm trying the have a least one player that can score a 70+ in each position, so far:

DEF: Clisby (planning to upgrade)
MID: Titchell, Wines
RUCK: Nichols
FWD: Gray

I think that's reasonable, a decent score for a surprise out. With the extra DT trades I think that's enough as you can always sideways trade a premo who's being rested.

At the moment though

DEF: Clisby (Frost)
MID: Arnot (Neade M/F)
RUC: Blicavs (Naismith)
FWD: Zorko M/F (McBean R/F)

Coverage works quite well, Zorko and Blicavs can cover Mid,Fwd and Ruck if there is an out that I don't want to trade away.

Zoko could easily get pgrade to a DPP in the future and act as an even better swingman, but i'll be focussing on the Heartless/Jack upgrades ratyher than Zorko by that stage.

Vlastuin
Mitchell
Nicholls
Gray

I chose to keep Vlas over Goodes as my backup and it was not the right decision to make.
Really glad I kept Robbie Gray though I've used him the last 3 or 4 weeks to cover SJ, Buddy etc and been solid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Def: Clisby Colquhoun
Mid: Mitchell Crouch
Ruck: Nicholls Currie
Fwd: Lee Daniher

DEF: Terlich, B. Richmond (DEF/FWD)
MID: Crouch, Hrovat
RUCK: Nicholls, Rowe
FWD: Rockliff, Staker

Eventually Rowe will become McBean.
With the 2 DPP Fwd/Def (Staker, Richmond) I've got coverage in case there are emergencies in either lines.
I've decided that sacrificing R4 and D8 is the easiest and safest way to go, even with 2 trades per week...

Thoughts?

My current bench after this weeks trades is:

B: Staker, Clisby

C: Wines, Neade

R: Nicholls, Moller

F: Rowe, McBean

I've currently got 2 m/f links and about 165k in the bank so next week the plan is to get rid of Rowe for a mid rookie and Wines for Barlow/Griffen/Stanton so I can move Rockliff to f7. Then in 3 rounds or so I should be able to downgrade the mid rookie I pick next week and upgrade Clisby which will leave me with:

B: Ellis, Staker (F)

C: Rookie (B), Neade (F)

F: Rockliff, McBean (R)

Cox & McBean f/r link, Neade & Rockliff m/f link. My mid rookie will probably be a non playing m/b so that I'll have access to all my m/b premiums in my backline. At this stage Mitchell will stay as my m8 but he may either be upgraded or relegated to m9 depending on how he goes in the next few rounds

B- Webster, Coloquin
M- Hutchings, Mckenzie
R- Rowe, Gorringe
F- Lee, Menzel

Might need to upgrade a few as no doubt like usual once it gets to finals teams will start resting so will need to ensure I have decent coverage.

Yeah im worried about sides resting players. Guess by that stage you will have 2 trades that are only really useful for sideways trading rested or injured players so it might not be so bad. My plan is to have 1 semi decent player as emergency then have a rookie thats playing as the last spot - just incase.

If you were in with a shot at winning the whole thing I would be getting all the cash onto the ground and not worrying too much about bench. Playing it safe won't win you the prize. All or nothing!

In all honesty it has been stupidly easy to make $$ this year.

I just did a double down grade this week and have $700k in the bank with a team worth just under 12.9 mill

Unless something goes massively wrong this is my planned bench cover towards finals:

Ellis/Goodes (yes I kept Goodes this whole time and will buy Ellis back after his next price drop)
Delidio/Hutchings (seems mental)
Nichols/Blicavs (I just dont need the money from Blicavs downgrade...)
Kennedy/Dwyer (this one not set in stone as may still d/g dwyer)

My aim is to have a premium as a reserve in all 4 departments. (or at least someone who regularly gets 100's)

Whats the value of other teams out there?

It's getting to stage where we will start having premiums on the bench if you play your cards right.

B: Wilson, Clisby
M: S.Mitchell, Hunter
F: Staker, Rowe

Next week it will hopefully be
R: Rowe, Moller
F: Premium, McBean

My Bench

Def: Ibbotson, Blayne Wilson
Mid: J P Kennedy, Mark Hutchings
Ruck: Leuenberger, Grundy
Fwd: Daniher, Burbury

My Forwards are lacking at the moment but will look to downgrade Hutchings to upgrade a to a semi-premium F9 next week. Been putting it off as I feel cover for the other areas has been more important for me so far and I'm waiting to cash in on my F9 or F10's BE

This will probably change after the teams are announced by at the moment...
Def: Staker, Wilson
Mid: S. Mitchell, Hunter
Ruc: Grundy, Moller
Fwd: Bartel, Rowe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back