Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

jackcass

Premium Gold
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah but chances are that he's not an AFL standard mid yet. Very few arrive in the AFL good enough to play mid and instead need time developing in other roles.
Have I missed something? Isn't wing part of the midfield group?

I'm with Dave. Rantall came to the club as an inside mid with a capacity to run all day. Not sure how he'll develop that playing predominantly an outside role. Rather see him in the guts and Sidey or Pendles moved to a wing.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have I missed something? Isn't wing part of the midfield group?

I'm with Dave. Kid came to the club as an inside mid with a capacity to run all day. Not sure how he'll develop that playing predominantly an outside role. Rather see him in the guts and Sidey or Pendles moved to a wing.
Starting his career on the wing didn't do Pendles inside mid career any harm.

Most coaches also consider high half forwards and backs as part of the midfield group and they are in terms of transition.

Wingmen get to hone their transition running and also get involved in around the ground stoppages. The difference is that they're not being asked to play the most important roles in the team, generally up against the best and cleverest players in the league.

I'd be surprised if Rantall or Macrae are ready to be competitive inside mids in the AFL, but if we want to get them AFL experience, wing is a better position than most.

TW Sherrin

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
He's a kid TD - remember Ben Johnston? Ordinary kick when he was drafted but a premiership player who ended up with a very effective - if still awkward looking kicking style.

unfortunately poor kicking runs in the family.

he's had a taste. its time for go back to the vfl.

jackcass

Premium Gold
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Most coaches also consider high half forwards and backs as part of the midfield group and they are in terms of transition.

Wingmen get to hone their transition running and also get involved in around the ground stoppages. The difference is that they're not being asked to play the most important roles in the team, generally up against the best and cleverest players in the league.

I'd be surprised if Rantall or Macrae are ready to be competitive inside mids in the AFL, but if we want to get them AFL experience, wing is a better position than most.
Pendles always had an inside and outside game. You could see it from day dot in the VFL. While it's only limited viewing, I haven't seen that in Rantall. Time will tell.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pendles always had an inside and outside game. You could see it from day dot in the VFL. While it's only limited viewing, I haven't seen that in Rantall. Time will tell.
In my mind, there's very few decent mids who don't run to receive it in transition - it's a core part of the role - even Sam Mitchell got the majority of his possessions uncontested. If someone is inside mid only, they need to work on their outside game. Wing would be good for them for that reason too. I just don't see a problem with playing a VFL inside mid on a wing or flank - Thomas, Maynard, Crisp, Cal Brown, would be inside mids if they were VFL listed.

TradeDraft

Premium Platinum
Oct 18, 2009
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Collingwood

Pendles is lot better user of the Ball than Rantall.

Though would not be Against putting Macare on the Wing

Remove this Banner Ad