Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

well left

Club Legend
May 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not saying we are definitely a contender, but it it is wrong to say we are "not a contender" when we'd be 2-1 with a bit of luck/poise. We should approach selection without a negative defeatist attitude.

2-3 changes to the bottom six are all we need over the next few weeks. As I have said repeatedly there are legitimate reasons why some of our kids (and I include older players in this like Cameron and Murphy) havent had chances yet. When players do get selected its broadly criticised by the same people that want these kids selected... and they call for their heads (Ruscoe, Henry, T Brown)

McCreery will play this week. I hope Cameron does too

MacRae cant be far away either
I’ve long been an advocate of playing Cameron or Kelly forward to allow Checkers to play as a third tall, probably the role we see WHE playing now.

I’d have no problem with Cameron and McCreery in for C Brown and WHE.

I’d like Macrae for Thomas as well but I think we’d have announced that by now if we had another debut.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

well left

Club Legend
May 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see us as winning this week, losing interstate to the Eagles next week... so 2-3 by rd 5 having had a virtually full list. Meaning we’d have to win 13 or so of a remaining 18 games... and remain near injury free... to crack top 4. Just can’t see it happening

If we blood the kids now we may be able to get a run together late in the season and make top 6-8

But at present a bottom 6 players of WHE, Thomas, Mayne, C Brown, Magden... too much weakness there for us to contend.

Bite the bullet. Blood McCreery and McRae this week. Both look ready enough. Get Kelly and/or Keane, into the line up ASAP.

Won’t hurt us anymore than persevering with the bottom 6 players we already have

And I think most of the supporters will forgive 6 touches from McReery more than another 6 touch game from WHE. Likewise an unforced turnover from McRae than another one from C Brown
I won’t be surprised if they give Madgen another week at least. I’d be moving past him now though.

I suspect when we do it might be Wilson that goes past him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Even with a couple more VFL games - he won’t be perfect at it. That’s okay. Likewise Quaynor is still learning his role.

And further back we persisted with Maynard through his brain fades cause we could see the potential if we persisted
Do you think Quaynor and Maynard would be better players now if they had have played a few extra games in year 1?

If we get to the end of the year, miss the finals and none of our kids have debuted, I'll be complaining too. But I don't it's an issue yet. I don't think not having debuted yet is going to have an impact on these blokes careers.

It's round 4, we just lost a thriller against a good team. We're not out of it yet. I hope we keep picking the team the coaches think is most likely to win.

Timmy from Thomastown

TheBrownDog
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see us as winning this week, losing interstate to the Eagles next week... so 2-3 by rd 5 having had a virtually full list. Meaning we’d have to win 13 or so of a remaining 18 games... and remain near injury free... to crack top 4. Just can’t see it happening

If we blood the kids now we may be able to get a run together late in the season and make top 6-8

But at present a bottom 6 players of WHE, Thomas, Mayne, C Brown, Magden... too much weakness there for us to contend.

Bite the bullet. Blood McCreery and McRae this week. Both look ready enough. Get Kelly and/or Keane, into the line up ASAP.

Won’t hurt us anymore than persevering with the bottom 6 players we already have

And I think most of the supporters will forgive 6 touches from McReery more than another 6 touch game from WHE. Likewise an unforced turnover from McRae than another one from C Brown
Whether Macrae debuts this week or next isnt materially going to change the outcome of season 2021.

I'm happy with McCreery this week (plus hopefully a second change with Cameron or Kelly coming in)

Thomas and Madgen arent travelling as badly as people like to imagine whilst Mayne was good last week until getting another head knock and spending time off the ground with a compulsory concussion test.... which fortuntely he passed with flying colours as it was his chin that took the impact. I dont see the urgent rush to replace them all with kids, but over time its a possibility.

If players like Wilson and Keane are banging the door down, thats great news. But like all his mates he hasnt played a VFL game yet except for some meaningless practice games

mike123

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Do you think Quaynor and Maynard would be better players now if they had have played a few extra games in year 1?

If we get to the end of the year, miss the finals and none of our kids have debuted, I'll be complaining too. But I don't it's an issue yet. I don't think not having debuted yet is going to have an impact on these blokes careers.

It's round 4, we just lost a thriller against a good team. We're not out of it yet. I hope we keep picking the team the coaches think is most likely to win.
Overall I don’t think it affect their careers that much but I’m more worried about this year. Our bottom 7 or so players are not up to it and need to be replaced for us to contend so getting games into them now means they’ll be more experienced come the pointy end.

Remove this Banner Ad