Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would you do that when you can wait until someone else bids and then use our next pick or a number of picks for him?

We did not have to but IF one came from about 10-11 on we would Matched

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

If it were up to me he’d be playing instead of WHE this week. All this talk of not being able to play a kid like Macrae because of no NAB season last year and minimal VFL games is nonsense.

The club can see on the track already that this kids got it. How’s another VFL game or two going to greatly improve him? Give him a run of 2-3 senior games and see how he goes

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
If it were up to me he’d be playing instead of WHE this week. All this talk of not being able to play a kid like Macrae because of no NAB season last year and minimal VFL games is nonsense.

The club can see on the track already that this kids got it. How’s another VFL game or two going to greatly improve him? Give him a run of 2-3 senior games and see how he goes

The Fin McCrae has it all , extractor,gets plenty of the ball. reads the play, has all the tools , got the footy smarts, great disposal. runs both ways , will be a 200 + game player for us, the kid is quality .calling it now, a tad better than his brother , as his disposal is cleaner, bye Cal

It might be the difference between him getting the defensive web or being defensively exposed. One thing that the coaches know and most of us don't is defensive system and whether players have fully come to terms with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
It might be the difference between him getting the defensive web or being defensively exposed. One thing that the coaches know and most of us don't is defensive system and whether players have fully come to terms with it.

Even with a couple more VFL games - he won’t be perfect at it. That’s okay. Likewise Quaynor is still learning his role.

And further back we persisted with Maynard through his brain fades cause we could see the potential if we persisted

Even with a couple more VFL games - he won’t be perfect at it. That’s okay. Likewise Quaynor is still learning his role.

And further back we persisted with Maynard through his brain fades cause we could see the potential if we persisted
Quaynor debuted round 16. Maynard round 14.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
“Macrae said Beveridge is strong on rewarding form at VFL level, with no one safe if they perform poorly at AFL level.”

Does this happen at Collingwood? I haven’t watched any VFL games, so I wouldn’t know if anyone is performing well enough to play at AFL level...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can think of at least 3 that aren’t performing at AFL level in the seniors, so...

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
“Macrae said Beveridge is strong on rewarding form at VFL level, with no one safe if they perform poorly at AFL level.”

Does this happen at Collingwood? I haven’t watched any VFL games, so I wouldn’t know if anyone is performing well enough to play at AFL level...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

VFL proper hasnt started yet.

For various reasons Macrae Micinnes Murphy Bianco and Kelly have had setbacks that otherwise might have seen them selected by now, whilst Ruscoe Henry and McCreery have been given games (albeit McCreery didnt get off the sub bench...he will play this week).

Of the rest Cameron has been good but it would require a change in structure to select him. I hope they do.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Quaynor debuted round 16. Maynard round 14.

Point noted. Just saw that Quaynor was emergency for 6 weeks before getting his debut.

That was 2019 when we were a contender and our side was performing at a high level. Fast forward to 2021 and we are not a contender... and several players are underperforming at senior level

Can’t help but notice N Cox, Perkins, Campbell, Gulden etc from last nights game. Swans and bombers have put faith in the young talent they have

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
If WHE was playing to the ‘defensive web’ last week, I really fear for the team.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Point noted. Just saw that Quaynor was emergency for 6 weeks before getting his debut.

That was 2019 when we were a contender and our side was performing at a high level. Fast forward to 2021 and we are not a contender... and several players are underperforming at senior level

Can’t help but notice N Cox, Perkins, Campbell, Gulden etc from last nights game. Swans and bombers have put faith in the young talent they have

Who says we are not a contender? We were top six last year with Howe Degoey and Sidebottom missing most of 2020 and Grundy down on form. Its pure conjecture that we will slide in 2021. It only takes a few tweaks to turn the ship around. We have lost to a good team (Dogs) after getting off to a slow start and playing catchup all night, and to a very good team with a kick after the siren

Just because these players have got off to a flier doesnt mean our crop are also ready to knock the house down just yet. Remember a lot of them are top ten picks joining weak sides that have nothing but upside playing the kids. They also have injuries. Collingwood is largely injury free with the few injuries we have had so far actually happening to some of these kids who might have otherwise been selected already.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who says we are not a contender? We were top six last year with Howe Degoey and Sidebottom missing most of 2020 and Grundy down on form. Its pure conjecture that we will slide in 2021. It only takes a few tweaks to turn the ship around. We have lost to a good team (Dogs) after getting off to a slow start and playing catchup all night, and to a very good team with a kick after the siren

Just because these players have got off to a flier doesnt mean our crop are also ready to knock the house down just yet. Remember a lot of them are top ten picks joining weak sides that have nothing but upside playing the kids. They also have injuries. Collingwood is largely injury free with the few injuries we have had so far actually happening to some of these kids who might have otherwise been selected already.

I think this is your problem. If you believe we are still a contender then it’s a) wrong and b) holds back developing the list further.

Maybe we’ll have to revisit this conversation at years end. But I think most on this board understand we are not finishing top 4-6 this year

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think this is your problem. If you believe we are still a contender then it’s a) wrong and b) holds back developing the list further.

Maybe we’ll have to revisit this conversation at years end. But I think most on this board understand we are not finishing top 4-6 this year

I'm not saying we are definitely a contender, but it it is wrong to say we are "not a contender" when we'd be 2-1 with a bit of luck/poise. We should approach selection without a negative defeatist attitude.

2-3 changes to the bottom six are all we need over the next few weeks. As I have said repeatedly there are legitimate reasons why some of our kids (and I include older players in this like Cameron and Murphy) havent had chances yet. When players do get selected its broadly criticised by the same people that want these kids selected... and they call for their heads (Ruscoe, Henry, T Brown)

McCreery will play this week. I hope Cameron does too

MacRae cant be far away either

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not saying we are definitely a contender, but it it is wrong to say we are "not a contender" when we'd be 2-1 with a bit of luck/poise. We should approach selection without a negative defeatist attitude.

2-3 changes to the bottom six are all we need over the next few weeks. As I have said repeatedly there are legitimate reasons why some of our kids (and I include older players in this like Cameron and Murphy) havent had chances yet. When players do get selected its broadly criticised by the same people that want these kids selected... and they call for their heads

McCreery will play this week. I hope Cameron does too

MacRae cant be far away either

I see us as winning this week, losing interstate to the Eagles next week... so 2-3 by rd 5 having had a virtually full list. Meaning we’d have to win 13 or so of a remaining 18 games... and remain near injury free... to crack top 4. Just can’t see it happening

If we blood the kids now we may be able to get a run together late in the season and make top 6-8

But at present a bottom 6 players of WHE, Thomas, Mayne, C Brown, Magden... too much weakness there for us to contend.

Bite the bullet. Blood McCreery and McRae this week. Both look ready enough. Get Kelly and/or Keane, into the line up ASAP.

Won’t hurt us anymore than persevering with the bottom 6 players we already have

And I think most of the supporters will forgive 6 touches from McReery more than another 6 touch game from WHE. Likewise an unforced turnover from McRae than another one from C Brown

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back