Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not saying we are definitely a contender, but it it is wrong to say we are "not a contender" when we'd be 2-1 with a bit of luck/poise. We should approach selection without a negative defeatist attitude.

2-3 changes to the bottom six are all we need over the next few weeks. As I have said repeatedly there are legitimate reasons why some of our kids (and I include older players in this like Cameron and Murphy) havent had chances yet. When players do get selected its broadly criticised by the same people that want these kids selected... and they call for their heads (Ruscoe, Henry, T Brown)

McCreery will play this week. I hope Cameron does too

MacRae cant be far away either

I’ve long been an advocate of playing Cameron or Kelly forward to allow Checkers to play as a third tall, probably the role we see WHE playing now.

I’d have no problem with Cameron and McCreery in for C Brown and WHE.

I’d like Macrae for Thomas as well but I think we’d have announced that by now if we had another debut.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see us as winning this week, losing interstate to the Eagles next week... so 2-3 by rd 5 having had a virtually full list. Meaning we’d have to win 13 or so of a remaining 18 games... and remain near injury free... to crack top 4. Just can’t see it happening

If we blood the kids now we may be able to get a run together late in the season and make top 6-8

But at present a bottom 6 players of WHE, Thomas, Mayne, C Brown, Magden... too much weakness there for us to contend.

Bite the bullet. Blood McCreery and McRae this week. Both look ready enough. Get Kelly and/or Keane, into the line up ASAP.

Won’t hurt us anymore than persevering with the bottom 6 players we already have

And I think most of the supporters will forgive 6 touches from McReery more than another 6 touch game from WHE. Likewise an unforced turnover from McRae than another one from C Brown

I won’t be surprised if they give Madgen another week at least. I’d be moving past him now though.

I suspect when we do it might be Wilson that goes past him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even with a couple more VFL games - he won’t be perfect at it. That’s okay. Likewise Quaynor is still learning his role.

And further back we persisted with Maynard through his brain fades cause we could see the potential if we persisted
Do you think Quaynor and Maynard would be better players now if they had have played a few extra games in year 1?

If we get to the end of the year, miss the finals and none of our kids have debuted, I'll be complaining too. But I don't it's an issue yet. I don't think not having debuted yet is going to have an impact on these blokes careers.

It's round 4, we just lost a thriller against a good team. We're not out of it yet. I hope we keep picking the team the coaches think is most likely to win.

I see us as winning this week, losing interstate to the Eagles next week... so 2-3 by rd 5 having had a virtually full list. Meaning we’d have to win 13 or so of a remaining 18 games... and remain near injury free... to crack top 4. Just can’t see it happening

If we blood the kids now we may be able to get a run together late in the season and make top 6-8

But at present a bottom 6 players of WHE, Thomas, Mayne, C Brown, Magden... too much weakness there for us to contend.

Bite the bullet. Blood McCreery and McRae this week. Both look ready enough. Get Kelly and/or Keane, into the line up ASAP.

Won’t hurt us anymore than persevering with the bottom 6 players we already have

And I think most of the supporters will forgive 6 touches from McReery more than another 6 touch game from WHE. Likewise an unforced turnover from McRae than another one from C Brown

Whether Macrae debuts this week or next isnt materially going to change the outcome of season 2021.

I'm happy with McCreery this week (plus hopefully a second change with Cameron or Kelly coming in)

Thomas and Madgen arent travelling as badly as people like to imagine whilst Mayne was good last week until getting another head knock and spending time off the ground with a compulsory concussion test.... which fortuntely he passed with flying colours as it was his chin that took the impact. I dont see the urgent rush to replace them all with kids, but over time its a possibility.

If players like Wilson and Keane are banging the door down, thats great news. But like all his mates he hasnt played a VFL game yet except for some meaningless practice games

Why’s he so serious.
Compare the pair;

3122fb49bc817b4e92db26cbe2ad434e.jpg
18e357a93aee456dcb9ec8e4cfef2554.jpg

Do you think Quaynor and Maynard would be better players now if they had have played a few extra games in year 1?

If we get to the end of the year, miss the finals and none of our kids have debuted, I'll be complaining too. But I don't it's an issue yet. I don't think not having debuted yet is going to have an impact on these blokes careers.

It's round 4, we just lost a thriller against a good team. We're not out of it yet. I hope we keep picking the team the coaches think is most likely to win.
Overall I don’t think it affect their careers that much but I’m more worried about this year. Our bottom 7 or so players are not up to it and need to be replaced for us to contend so getting games into them now means they’ll be more experienced come the pointy end.

When I say his name in my head I think of the theme song to the unforgettable tv show "B.J. and the Bear".

Hey there where ya goin',
Not exactly knowin'
Who says you have to call just one place home.
He's goin' everywhere,
Finlay Macrae and his best friend Bear.

He just keeps on movin',
Ladies keep improvin'
Every day is better than the last.
New dreams and better scenes,
And best of all I don't pay footy department tax.

(Yeah, that's what I'm going to do one of these days, Bear
I'm going to teach you how to sing, how'd you'd like that kid, huh?)

Runnin' down some fellas,
My club provides my palace
I'm off to Optus Stadium or who knows where.
Places new and ladies, too,
I'm Finlay Macrae and this is my best friend Bear.

1618288102244.png

He could be next weeks whipping boy.

Yeah wouldn't surprise me with some of the knuckleheads we have on here. Henry copped it after his first game which I didn't get at the time. They are kids so it doesn't surprise me if they are quiet in games at the start of their careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it were up to me he’d be playing instead of WHE this week. All this talk of not being able to play a kid like Macrae because of no NAB season last year and minimal VFL games is nonsense.

The club can see on the track already that this kids got it. How’s another VFL game or two going to greatly improve him? Give him a run of 2-3 senior games and see how he goes

For the most part I think these draftees are generally physically ready although the 2020 season has to add a level of doubt to that conventional thinking. I'd have thought the hesitancy would more likely be around whether he's mentally ready and confident he can produce at the level.

For the most part I think these draftees are generally physically ready although the 2020 season has to add a level of doubt to that conventional thinking. I'd have thought the hesitancy would more likely be around whether he's mentally ready and confident he can produce at the level.

Even if the debut game is underwhelming. With Macrae, McInness... done it with Henry... get the nerves, doubt etc of the debut out the way early. Back in that they will become 100 plus game players

Give them 2-3 games, followed by a rest in the VFL if they need it. Repeat.

McRae, McInnes, Henry, McReery Rantall, Bianco... maybe even Poulter should all get a debut this year at some point imo

Been saying it for months, this is really just a development year

Want to get to rd 1 2023 with those kids all having played 10-25plus senior games

Even if the debut game is underwhelming. With Macrae, McInness... done it with Henry... get the nerves, doubt etc of the debut out the way early. Back in that they will become 100 plus game players

McRae, McInnes, Henry, McReery Rantall, Bianco... maybe even Poulter should all get a debut this year at some point imo

Want to get to rd 1 2023 with those kids all having played 10-25plus senior games

Add Ruscoe Murphy Keane T Brown Cameron to that list. Its not just about debutants.

Its not too late to have a relatively successful season AND a good development year. So these kids dont have to be selected all at once.

There’s early, and then there’s just supporter impatience. Kid had a disruptedpreseason due to the death of his old man, I’m surprised he’s pushed for selection this early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back