Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
To be fair ...

... coaches keep things very simple for young players, getting them to focus on very simple, singular objectives. It helps the player deal with the awe of the occasion, and it gets the player into the mode of “playing their role”.

Fair chance Macrae’s instructions would have been something along the lines of “don’t worry about tackling or kicking goals, your sole job is to ...”. When Macrae goes through his tape with his coaches this week, they’ll be focusing on how well he followed instructions, rather than how well rounded his game was.

By contrast McCreary’s task last week would clearly have been to apply pressure in the forward line - tackle count being just one measure of that. The goal he kicked was clearly an opportunistic one.

As players develop and get more games into them, their role will expand and become more well rounded.

To illustrate the point, even a player of Scott Pendlebury’s experience strives to add further layers to his game each year.

these players have been training full time in their roles for months, do you think during that time they only have 1 very basic instruction to follow and that carries to their afl game? Do they learn the full role but when they debut they stripe it all back and tell them to forget about what they’ve been taught and only focus on 1 part?

Ugene41

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Really excited about Macrae. I feel like the most important thing in a kids debut is confidence and composure. Macrae clearly had that and was not afraid to try the tough forward kicks spotting up targets in the forward 50. More confidence than senior players Mayne who's still too afraid to kick the ball forwards.

Macrae clearly had it so we should back him in vs Henry who lacked composure in his debut so we need to give him time to gain his confidence in the VFL

Really excited about Macrae. I feel like the most important thing in a kids debut is confidence and composure. Macrae clearly had that and was not afraid to try the tough forward kicks spotting up targets in the forward 50. More confidence than senior players Mayne who's still too afraid to kick the ball forwards.

Macrae clearly had it so we should back him in vs Henry who lacked composure in his debut so we need to give him time to gain his confidence in the VFL
If Checkers is out with his shoulder, I’d give Henry a recall. * it.

Feel like Henry was so harsly marked on that debut.

Year out of footy , had some good pre season games. There were senior players worse than him in that game that survived the cull
Not to mention, current evidence suggests the Dogs might be a decent side.

Ugene41

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood

Year out of footy , had some good pre season games. There were senior players worse than him in that game that survived the cull

I'm definitely not writing off Henry already. Quite excited about him long term. But I feel that he's someone that needs to play with confidence and if that gets destroyed at the start it's hard to come back from. Let him find his feet in VFL and gain some confidence there first.

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood

He also ha a poor preseason game the week before, so it was two on the trot where he was dropping uncontested marks and was a bit sloppy by both hand and foot. Obviously not a typical characteristic of his, hence the call to give him time to find his feet against senior bodies in the VFL before coming back to the AFL (which will happen probably not too far after the half way mark)

these players have been training full time in their roles for months, do you think during that time they only have 1 very basic instruction to follow and that carries to their afl game? Do they learn the full role but when they debut they stripe it all back and tell them to forget about what they’ve been taught and only focus on 1 part?

Yep, keep it simple.

so for the entire preseason they’re only taught 1 part of their role? Macrae was instructed to ignore tackling the entire time he’s been at Collingwood?

Nah, they learn their trade ...

... and they ply their trade in the VFL where they might even do well ...

... but when it comes to playing on the MCG in front of 50,000 people, against experienced AFL minds and bodies ...

... and the pace of the game being way faster than anything they’ve experience before, it’s best to simplify things down for them.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nah, they learn their trade ...

... and they ply their trade in the VFL where they might even do well ...

... but when it comes to playing on the MCG in front of 50,000 people, against experienced AFL minds and bodies ...

... and the pace of the game being way faster than anything they’ve experience before, it’s best to simplify things down for them.

I reckon most kids are composed enough to play their main role and also chase, tackle and try kick goals... it’s how they’ve been playing literally their entire footy journey after all. Maybe I’m wrong

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought through the first 3 he was still a little way off and that despite showing promise he wasn’t quite ready but they way he fought it out in the last is a credit to him. Was a great effort in the fourth quarter

Ugene41

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Thought through the first 3 he was still a little way off and that despite showing promise he wasn’t quite ready but they way he fought it out in the last is a credit to him. Was a great effort in the fourth quarter

I think in the last quarter we actually played him in the midfield and gave him the minutes.

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon most kids are composed enough to play their main role and also chase, tackle and try kick goals... it’s how they’ve been playing literally their entire footy journey after all. Maybe I’m wrong

It feels like you and 76 are debating a point that doesn't really need to be debated.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
was meh but needs to be given a good block of games.

Agree to some extent but lots of positive signs to get excited about. Even started in the square on a couple of occasions so they were definitely putting him through his paces.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
And was 1 of our Better user of the Ball.

Be Exciting Player to Follow as long stays at Collingwood

Kicking efficiency rated at 44% from 9 kicks Dave. Some of that was WCE's defenders, some was poor execution. No biggy given it was his debut.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
You can't just say that, because I rate some players higher than others, I've defaulted to labelling the latter names as duds. (I only call dud players duds after watching them enough.)

I've created a pecking order in my head based on adaptability and skill level.

Tradedraft has autism so can struggle with the shades of grey in these discussions.

Back