Competition FIRA 2019 - Season Hub

I see as choosing Athens is the easy way out as that's the capital.
Last year, both the League and Cup winners were Capital cities. They seem to go alright.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
What city/town/region should I locate my Greece Based team?

I dont want to go the bland option and choose Athens....
Up to you, but there's Thessaloniki (Salonika if you want a shorter name), Athens, Pireaus, Rhodes or even Herakleion (in Crete).

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Put me down for Marseille. I just thought of Chris Waddle's mullet and the fat three stripe Adidas kits he wore for OM.

I miss the days where good quality British internationals would go overseas to play in the other big leagues. McManaman at Madrid, David Platt in Italy, Glenn Hoddle at Monaco, Paul Lambert at Dortmund and the like. I know it was probably because of the European ban that most of them went over, but it was cool. You see heaps of players from other countries playing abroad but it's rare these days for good quality British players to play outside the premier league.

Sancho playing at Dortmund now is cool, I hope more players follow suit.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I miss the days where good quality British internationals would go overseas to play in the other big leagues. McManaman at Madrid, David Platt in Italy, Glenn Hoddle at Monaco, Paul Lambert at Dortmund and the like. I know it was probably because of the European ban that most of them went over, but it was cool. You see heaps of players from other countries playing abroad but it's rare these days for good quality British players to play outside the premier league.

Sancho playing at Dortmund now is cool, I hope more players follow suit.
Sancho will be a trailblazer. No way young talent won't drain from the top 8 teams.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
crow28's inaugural Athens home jumper was incredible

Cheers cob. Still probably my favourite design I've done on here, and I feel like I've never been able to live up to it since! The following years felt a bit like Marge Simpson altering her Chanel dress to turn it into something different. For the newbies who haven't seen them...

Athens Home.png

Athens Greens Home.png

Athens Greens Cup.png

What city/town/region should I locate my Greece Based team?

I dont want to go the bland option and choose Athens....

What made you choose Greece in the first place? There must be some idea you had that you wanted to work with?

Athens is far from bland. Heaps of imagery to work with. If you don't want to use the name Athens, base it in Piraeus which is the Port area of Athens and huge in itself. Other than Thessaloniki, there really aren't any other large cities in Greece. Patra is the next biggest, roughly the size of Geelong. You could base a Peloponnese team there and draw on imagery surrounding Mount Olympia which is not too far from there.

But ultimately I'd come back to what drew you to Greece in the first place and go from there.

dvE0Xc8.png

The Águias will return for next season to defend their back-to-back FIRA Premierships - however Lisboa will no longer be their home. From 2019 onwards, Real Lisboa will now be Madeira, playing out of the island's capital of Funchal whilst still proudly representing the entire nation of Portugal.

Nova cidade. Mesmo coração.

This is a bit of a work in progress, but the Birmingham Bears will have an updated logo in 2019

W9SbR6T.png
Looks great! Only thing I could suggest is perhaps making the bear stand out from the dark shield?
Nice look regardless if that is what you're going for.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Looks great! Only thing I could suggest is perhaps making the bear stand out from the dark shield?
Nice look regardless if that is what you're going for.
Thanks! I've had the same idea and I've done a gold version of the bear as well. It will usually be used on a navy base so the gold bear makes sense. I'll post it up when I'm back at my PC.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
This is a bit of a work in progress, but the Birmingham Bears will have an updated logo in 2019

W9SbR6T.png
The only thing I can suggest is the bottom set of teeth could be shrunk a little to emphasise the top teefs. Or are bear teeth equally large top and bottom?

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
That looks awesome. The teeth still seem a little odd off to me. How would it look if the big teeth on the left were moved right and set behind the existing rows of teeth?
I'll give it a go and report back, thanks for the feedback!

Now that the comp flood of CCRC, ABA and T20a are all into their seasons, thought I might just bump this and remind everyone that FIRA is due at the end of the month, would love to see some more entries in the next week or two!

Back