Competition FIRA 2022 - Season Hub

lA4AHV1.png

kIr4P19.png

Welcome back to FIRA for 2022!

WHAT IS FIRA?

For those new to the board, FIRA is our European-based footy jumper design competition. Like last season, FIRA will be broken up into two distinct competitions, the FIRA League and the FIRA European Cup. The FIRA league features teams from the UK and Ireland, and is the main competition. In contrast the FIRA European Cup features teams from the continent. This competition takes its format from the real life UEFA Champions League competition with a group stage leading into a knockout tournament, all culminating in the European Cup Final as the finale to the season.

For the first time, the top teams from the FIRA League last season have qualified for the European cup and have the opportunity to win the double! The teams who qualified to represent the UK in the cup are:

Hackney borough - fancyscum
Sutton Coldfield - El_Scorcho
Durham Saints - Barrybran
Brixton AFC - caloschwaby

You guys have the option to either re-badge your guernsey from last year, use your new home guernsey with the European cup badge or create a special cup guernsey using your traditional colours, for all others, here is what is required for your entries....

WHAT IS REQUIRED?

FIRA is a relatively simple competition to get involved in
due to the fact that there is no strict bidding process unlike most other competitions on the board. Having said this though, it is highly encouraged that given the changes to competition this season you post your team location in this thread. This allows others and myself to get a good feel for the distribution of teams and prevent certain markets from becoming overcrowded, as well as letting me to know that you are interested in entering and I don't start without you!

You need to come up with Home and away uniforms for your League team as well as a club logo, these uniforms must have an adequate contrast (1 light and 1 dark) to my satisfaction. If you choose a light home kit, please be aware that you are likely to wear it for most of the season to prevent clashes, I will endeavour to give your dark guernsey a good run in this instance, but I can't make any promises. European Cup teams require just a single uniform and a club logo and will feature the correct logo. Design guidelines can be found below, to keep up with the times, I am willing to accept entries that just show off the front of a guernsey, but a full uniform will still be happily accepted! The big change last year was the move of the sponsor from the back to the front, and this continues this season as it worked well to create more European looking designs.

sjHukVx.jpg

The Correct competition logo must be used on your guernseys and can be found here in vector form and here for a png file. There have been minor tweaks to the League logo and the cup logo is completely new, so please download. You may recolour the European cup logo, but please have the ball and stroke a contrasting colour to whatever is behind it like is shown above.

Be0D8fK.png

I expect people to submit a League team as well as a cup team, but would highly encourage people to explore a second European side
to get us to a full 32 team group stage. I know it is ambitious, but I know we are capable of making it happen.

In terms of where to locate your club, your League team must be located somewhere in one of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland. I am also happy to have teams in any of the dependencies as long as they are in the British Isles (no teams in some island way off that is technically still the UK please). As for your European side(s) they must be located somewhere in Europe that isn’t one of the Countries listed above (look to UEFA member nations, but check with me if you are not sure about a particular country.)

HOW DO I SUBMIT?

All of your images must be in my inbox before Sunday the 30th of January 2022,
so you have plenty of time to come up with new ideas. These images must be hosted on an image hosting site such as imgur, photobucket, flickr etc and then PM’ed to me. DO NOT UPLOAD YOUR ENTRY DIRECTLY TO BIGFOOTY, images uploaded to private messages are not able to be posted in public threads, please make it easy for me by uploading to one of the sites listed above and sending me the link. Any questions about anything that hasn't been covered in this post can be posted below or hit me with a message and I am happy to give you an answer.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Sutton Coldfield will return to represent the West Midlands in the league and in Europe. I'm assuming i'll need a separate European kit for that one?

FC Duisburg and III.Monchengladbach are both back in for Europe, unless you'd like me to move a side so i'm not hogging Germany too much

Sutton Coldfield will return to represent the West Midlands in the league and in Europe. I'm assuming i'll need a separate European kit for that one?
You can make a european kit if you would like, or you can re-badge this or last season's home kit for the league.

mk1ne

Cancelled
Nov 17, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
League - Dublin Town (Dublin, Ireland)
Cup - VfB Munich (Munich, Germany) & Révolutionnaire AFC (Paris, France)

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
lA4AHV1.png

kIr4P19.png

Welcome back to FIRA for 2022!

WHAT IS FIRA?

For those new to the board, FIRA is our European-based footy jumper design competition. Like last season, FIRA will be broken up into two distinct competitions, the FIRA League and the FIRA European Cup. The FIRA league features teams from the UK and Ireland, and is the main competition. In contrast the FIRA European Cup features teams from the continent. This competition takes its format from the real life UEFA Champions League competition with a group stage leading into a knockout tournament, all culminating in the European Cup Final as the finale to the season.

For the first time, the top teams from the FIRA League last season have qualified for the European cup and have the opportunity to win the double! The teams who qualified to represent the UK in the cup are:

Hackney borough - fancyscum
Sutton Coldfield - El_Scorcho
Durham Saints - Barrybran
Brixton AFC - caloschwaby

You guys have the option to either re-badge your guernsey from last year, use your new home guernsey with the European cup badge or create a special cup guernsey using your traditional colours, for all others, here is what is required for your entries....

WHAT IS REQUIRED?

FIRA is a relatively simple competition to get involved in
due to the fact that there is no strict bidding process unlike most other competitions on the board. Having said this though, it is highly encouraged that given the changes to competition this season you post your team location in this thread. This allows others and myself to get a good feel for the distribution of teams and prevent certain markets from becoming overcrowded, as well as letting me to know that you are interested in entering and I don't start without you!

You need to come up with Home and away uniforms for your League team as well as a club logo, these uniforms must have an adequate contrast (1 light and 1 dark) to my satisfaction. If you choose a light home kit, please be aware that you are likely to wear it for most of the season to prevent clashes, I will endeavour to give your dark guernsey a good run in this instance, but I can't make any promises. European Cup teams require just a single uniform and a club logo and will feature the correct logo. Design guidelines can be found below, to keep up with the times, I am willing to accept entries that just show off the front of a guernsey, but a full uniform will still be happily accepted! The big change last year was the move of the sponsor from the back to the front, and this continues this season as it worked well to create more European looking designs.

sjHukVx.jpg

The Correct competition logo must be used on your guernseys and can be found here in vector form and here for a png file. There have been minor tweaks to the League logo and the cup logo is completely new, so please download. You may recolour the European cup logo, but please have the ball and stroke a contrasting colour to whatever is behind it like is shown above.

Be0D8fK.png

I expect people to submit a League team as well as a cup team, but would highly encourage people to explore a second European side
to get us to a full 32 team group stage. I know it is ambitious, but I know we are capable of making it happen.

In terms of where to locate your club, your League team must be located somewhere in one of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland. I am also happy to have teams in any of the dependencies as long as they are in the British Isles (no teams in some island way off that is technically still the UK please). As for your European side(s) they must be located somewhere in Europe that isn’t one of the Countries listed above (look to UEFA member nations, but check with me if you are not sure about a particular country.)

HOW DO I SUBMIT?

All of your images must be in my inbox before Sunday the 30th of January 2022,
so you have plenty of time to come up with new ideas. These images must be hosted on an image hosting site such as imgur, photobucket, flickr etc and then PM’ed to me. DO NOT UPLOAD YOUR ENTRY DIRECTLY TO BIGFOOTY, images uploaded to private messages are not able to be posted in public threads, please make it easy for me by uploading to one of the sites listed above and sending me the link. Any questions about anything that hasn't been covered in this post can be posted below or hit me with a message and I am happy to give you an answer.
How about a South America-based footy jumper competition?! You know, for a change… 🙂

SunsphereParker

Senior List
Jul 30, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
At risk of making the cup German-heavy again, keen to give FC Reeperbahn another go considering how crap last years jumper was.

1st Cup team: FC Reeperbahn, Germany
2nd Cup team: TBD (non-German)
League: Tower Hamlets (Hackney/Greenwich derbies impending)

How about a South America-based footy jumper competition?!
If that’s a genuine competition thread proposal, count a like from me.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
At risk of making the cup German-heavy again, keen to give FC Reeperbahn another go considering how crap last years jumper was.

1st Cup team: FC Reeperbahn, Germany
2nd Cup team: TBD (non-German)
League: Tower Hamlets (Hackney/Greenwich derbies impending)

If that’s a genuine competition thread proposal, count a like from me.
You could maybe do Strasbourg in place of Reeperbahn? French city with a lot of German and French influence due to the location, also the centre of European parliament (perhaps formerly)

SunsphereParker

Senior List
Jul 30, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You could maybe do Strasbourg in place of Reeperbahn? French city with a lot of German and French influence due to the location, also the centre of European parliament (perhaps formerly)
I hear you, but I picked the Reeperbahn for it’s very distinct character. Home of Hamburg’s, nay Germany’s, nightlife and bar culture. “The Sinful Mile”, red light district, mercantile history, drunken sailors, big anti-establishment sentiment and left-wing culture, St. Pauli FC, jolly rodgers, rock and roll (where the Beatles really got noticed; John Lennon: “I was born in Liverpool, but grew up in Hamburg) etc. Only Amsterdam really comes close to the same kind of vibe, and it doesn’t have the grubby charm of Hamburg.

When travelling round Europe with a female friend (not girlfriend), we were chased by a, eh, lady of the night with a big water gun blaster down a side-street we’d inadvertently wandered up because the madam didn’t want girlfriends causing trouble up there. At the end of the street, a spliff smoking gentleman, and witness to the spectacle, pulled his underpants to a position just above his knees and proceeded to chase us down the road whilst laughing maniacally.

tl;dr: the Reeperbahn is a hell of a town.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
I hear you, but I picked the Reeperbahn for it’s very distinct character. Home of Hamburg’s, nay Germany’s, nightlife and bar culture. “The Sinful Mile”, red light district, mercantile history, drunken sailors, big anti-establishment sentiment and left-wing culture, St. Pauli FC, jolly rodgers, rock and roll (where the Beatles really got noticed; John Lennon: “I was born in Liverpool, but grew up in Hamburg) etc. Only Amsterdam really comes close to the same kind of vibe, and it doesn’t have the grubby charm of Hamburg.

When travelling round Europe with a female friend (not girlfriend), we were chased by a, eh, lady of the night with a big water gun blaster down a side-street we’d inadvertently wandered up because the madam didn’t want girlfriends causing trouble up there. At the end of the street, a spliff smoking gentleman, and witness to the spectacle, pulled his underpants to a position just above his knees and proceeded to chase us down the road whilst laughing maniacally.

tl;dr: the Reeperbahn is a hell of a town.
Ah yes, the Reeperbahn Hosenschlangen are a truly a terrifying team to face on the pitch.

Hammer_head

Carn the Croms
Mar 21, 2021
Jimmy Rowe is my Daddy
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, , Everton, Boston Bruins
Cup Team: Київські рейдери Австралійський клуб правил (Kyyivsʹki reydery Avstraliysʹkyy klub pravyl) - Kiev Raiders Australian Football Club, Ukraine
League Team: Perth Condors, Scotland

Cup Team: Київські рейдери Австралійський клуб правил (Kyyivsʹki reydery Avstraliysʹkyy klub pravyl) - Kiev Raiders Australian Football Club, Ukraine
League Team: Perth Condors, Scotland
I've only just been able to spell reykjavik without googling in the last couple of seasons, might take me a decade to get my head around this one.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
So far, it’s not. If someone with more experience is willing to help me, then, it could be.

This board is fueled by competitions! I aim to be running one basically all the time for that reason.

Head to the stickied Competitions thread and flesh out your competition idea. You're more than capable of running it yourself, it's actually not overly difficult and there are lots of people who will help with advice.

Click here for a link to an example of a competition proposal I put together that ended up running as a comp on this board

You need the following:

1) A concept - We're already there, Aussie Rules in South America :whitecheck:
2) A competition structure - Is it a league, a knockout tournament, some combination of the two, something else? Where can teams be from? Just big cities? Just mainland South America?
3) A decision on complexity - In the NAFL people submit 4 kits and it's a very large competition. In my current Cricket comp, people submit 1 and it's a basic single round robin.
4) A decision on how to make the competition visually distinct - Is there a league logo, a league number font, a set layout of logos on the kits etc
5) A fixture/schedule/draw - I generally google "fixture generator" and use one of the first hits
6) People to send you entries, which you then save in an excel spreadsheet with your fixture, this is also a good place to keep a league table if it's a league.

My suggestion for a first time comp would be to keep it as simple as possible so it doesn't outstay it's welcome. Try to copy the style of other, similar competitions if you're not sure. Most of the big competitions on this board started out fairly small and grew. FIRA started as an alternative to another global based competition that was being run very poorly and then has evolved over time to be just in Europe, then predominantly in the UK.

SunsphereParker

Senior List
Jul 30, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Flicking though previous seasons - unless I missed a team - I don’t think there’s been any love for either Belgium or prehistoric pachyderms yet in fira? So I’ll go with the Antwerp Mammoths for my 2nd cup team.

Back