First 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading that small bit of Lions information, maybe it's the authors opinion that McKenna may play more up field, not necessarily Danny Dalys.

I wonder where McKenna has played in the match sims and which group he is training with.
Quite interested to see how / where McKenna plays also. From memory, he started to get frustrated at the Bombers by getting pigeonholed into a half back position - it's the most similar position to Gaelic football hence why you see so many Irish players playing there at least first-off (Kennelly, Tuohy, Hanley, Clarke etc)
I did notice in the recent interview with Joyce, he mentioned that his target was to play R1 (obv), but more interestingly mentioned the depth of talent at half back that he was competing with.

McKenna said in the interview on the lions site his best position is half back. Sounds like he's going to make sure he can lock down that position before thinking about playing elsewhere

Also if he just decided to join us to play in a premiership perhaps he's fine with playing selflessly whereas at Essendon with the shocking culture they've had he was looking out for himself more

Time will tell for sure...seems like if the side was picked by our BF Supporters, JL will be playing VFL all year. Interesting to see how it all unfolds come season starter.
Just my opinion.

The game is changing somewhat, with rule changes being made to open up the game, with the aim to try and increase scoring and make the game more “attractive”.

The biggest change I see from clubs is a greater focus on their mids and halves running a lot more, and players being able to spread from the contest.

Teams are moving away from 5 or 6 inside mids, and rolling mauls.

There’s still a place for inside ball winners, but they need to be able to also provide run and carry, the ability to spread, and get back defensively on the turnover.

Time will tell for sure...seems like if the side was picked by our BF Supporters, JL will be playing VFL all year. Interesting to see how it all unfolds come season starter.
JL is coming from a long way back - matt crouch is a similar type of player to JL and after having OP just wasnt up to it at AFL level. i think most of us are hoping for the best but not expecting much, especially in the first half of the year.

Our midfield of 2023 finally bats pretty deep.
The likely setup for round one if Lyons plays.
Engine room: Neale, Dunkley, Lyons, McCluggage
Then one of Ashcroft or Robertson
Forward/Midfield: Zorko, Rayner, Bailey & McCarthy on some occasions.
Wings: Berry & ??

If Lyons plays i see Dev missing the team again unless he gets a spot over Ashcroft which is unlikely. If Lyons is missing, then Dev comes in.

In my opinion the wing is still an issue for us. One of the reasons our defense was not great in 2022. But can now be fixed.
If they decide to play Ashcroft on the wing is a bit of a gamble for overall team structure.
He could do just fine but just looks like a pure midfielder from what i have seen.
McCluggage has increased his pure midfield time considerably over the last 2 years with way less time on the wing.
However, with the addition of Dunkley & Ashcroft it may be worth McCluggage going back to a 70/30 wing/midfield split or their abouts.
That will give us two good wing players in Berry & McCluggage
Then you have Dunkley, Ashcroft, Zorko & Bailey all with stints on the wing for relief to Berry & McCluggage

Our midfield of 2023 finally bats pretty deep.
The likely setup for round one if Lyons plays.
Engine room: Neale, Dunkley, Lyons, McCluggage
Then one of Ashcroft or Robertson
Forward/Midfield: Zorko, Rayner, Bailey & McCarthy on some occasions.
Wings: Berry & ??

If Lyons plays i see Dev missing the team again unless he gets a spot over Ashcroft which is unlikely. If Lyons is missing, then Dev comes in.

In my opinion the wing is still an issue for us. One of the reasons our defense was not great in 2022. But can now be fixed.
If they decide to play Ashcroft on the wing is a bit of a gamble for overall team structure.
He could do just fine but just looks like a pure midfielder from what i have seen.
McCluggage has increased his pure midfield time considerably over the last 2 years with way less time on the wing.
However, with the addition of Dunkley & Ashcroft it may be worth McCluggage going back to a 70/30 wing/midfield split or their abouts.
That will give us two good wing players in Berry & McCluggage
Then you have Dunkley, Ashcroft, Zorko & Bailey all with stints on the wing for relief to Berry & McCluggage
I believe teams are looking to play more traditional, pure wingers, instead of pushing excess mids out on to the wing.

Carlton traded in a wing during the offseason, then drafted two more.

My personal preference would be for McCluggage and Berry to be out starting wings, with Prior on the bench.

That would allow McCluggage and/or Berry time rotating inside, particularly if Prior played 80%+ time out on a wing.

We could start Neale, Dunkley and Zorko as our midfield, with Lyons/Robertson on the bench.

Going to be hard to find room for Ashcroft, unless we move Bailey up to a wing (instead of Prior).

Again, I really hope we have a rotation policy in place this year.

I believe teams are looking to play more traditional, pure wingers, instead of pushing excess mids out on to the wing.

Carlton traded in a wing during the offseason, then drafted two more.

My personal preference would be for McCluggage and Berry to be out starting wings, with Prior on the bench.

That would allow McCluggage and/or Berry time rotating inside, particularly if Prior played 80%+ time out on a wing.

We could start Neale, Dunkley and Zorko as our midfield, with Lyons/Robertson on the bench.

Going to be hard to find room for Ashcroft, unless we move Bailey up to a wing (instead of Prior).

Again, I really hope we have a rotation policy in place this year.

I would like McCluggage and Bailey to be our wingers with Zorko to spend some time there and our excess HBF sneaking up a bit. That would give us a lot of class on the outside and we are in a situation where we can afford to dedicate quality players to those roles. Lohmann would be the sneaky high upside player I wouldn't mind see get a chance with Fletcher pushing for a spot in the second half of the year.

In the guts I would like Neale, Dunkley and Berry to be the mainstays with Ashcroft off the bench. Robertson next cab off the rank. Tunstill surprised me a bit last year and if he can tidy up his skills it would not surprise me if he is putting his hand up if there is an injury.

It would not surprise me if he filled the utility off the bench role that Ah Chee did last year.
I liked this because i agree that McKenna could take the utility role and has a higher upside in terms of finding more possessions and adding more offence than Ah Chee.

However I like Ah Chee and he will be stiff if he is the unlucky 24th player on the list.

I liked this because i agree that McKenna could take the utility role and has a higher upside in terms of finding more possessions and adding more offence than Ah Chee.

However I like Ah Chee and he will be stiff if he is the unlucky 24th player on the list.
I personally have him around 24-26 on the list but I do think he is the perfect utility to be the perfect sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The monkey paw says the second is Shannon. :(
angry fox GIF by Family Guy

Quite interested to see how / where McKenna plays also. From memory, he started to get frustrated at the Bombers by getting pigeonholed into a half back position - it's the most similar position to Gaelic football hence why you see so many Irish players playing there at least first-off (Kennelly, Tuohy, Hanley, Clarke etc)
I did notice in the recent interview with Joyce, he mentioned that his target was to play R1 (obv), but more interestingly mentioned the depth of talent at half back that he was competing with.
If Joyce plays round 1 I’ll shout everyone here a $500 Lions shop voucher

If Joyce plays round 1 I’ll shout everyone here a $500 Lions shop voucher

Where, exactly, is “here”?

In his living room. Best bet ever.
Contextual logic would imply at a minimum anyone who has posted in this specific thread (or maybe even 'liked' a post in this thread) prior to this date ... it would be unreasonable to allow extras in once the bet was made or to assume he meant the entirety of the BigFooty Brisbane Lions Community ;)

Contextual logic would imply at a minimum anyone who has posted in this specific thread (or maybe even 'liked' a post in this thread) prior to this date ... it would be unreasonable to allow extras in once the bet was made or to assume he meant the entirety of the BigFooty Brisbane Lions Community ;)

But but but, that excludes me from receiving his wonderful gift.
Bugger😢

I'm in ! page 32 ! phew - was worried there for a second

Remove this Banner Ad

Back