First 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Easier said than done vic, particularly when we are unlikely to have much in picks to offer for trade... will be used up matching bids and maybe/hopefully bringing Dunkley in.

Ethan Phillips a key defender from Port Melbourne who was mentioned in the trade thread could be a cheap option, rising star winner in the VFL.
Think Adams will be good to go next season...him stepping out for the remainder of the season is being careful and ensuring he comes back to play in 2023.

Great although some additional key position depth would be a good decision IMO.
Its a balancing act that all clubs who are a chance to win a flag have.....Do you go your hardest at winning the ultimate reward now? Do you look into the future more than the present to build a winning team? Or do you try to do a little of both? Any way you look at it, there are times when you role the dice and get it wrong & there are times where you roll it again and win. Personally I couldn't be more comfortable with the blokes who have the dice in their hands and rolling it for The Lions.

B: Starcevich Andrews Payne
HB: Wilmot Adams Coleman
C: Bailey Neale Berry
HF: Rayner Hipwood McCarthy
FF: Cameron Daniher Lohmann
Ruck: McInerney Dunkley McCluggage
Bench: Ashcroft, Ah Chee, Fort, Robertson

I think we need to get Bailey out of the midfield. Playing too many small forwards/hybrids in those roles, need more classic mids. Hopefully Dunkley + Ashcroft fill some of those roles and can push Bailey and even Rayner further forward

I actually think Rich is really beneficial next season but will probably slowly get phased out as we hit the business end. I would not be surprised if this also happened with Zorko but he also might be done. Last night was a truly horrible performance by the captain, he offered nothing at all.

HB: Rich Adams Coleman
C: Prior Neale Berry
HF: Rayner Hipwood Gunstan/McCarthy
FF: Cameron Daniher Bailey
Bench: Ashcroft, Lohmann/McCarthy, Wilmott, Robertson
Depth: Mathieson, Ah Chee, Cockatoo, Lyons, Coleman, Fletcher, Fort, Fullarton, etc
Out: Gardiner, Zorko, McStay, Robinson

B. Madden Andrews Willmot
HB Rayner Payne Adams
C. Coleman Starcevich McLuggage
HF. Robertson Hipwood Cameron
FF. Bailey Daniher Berry

R. McInerney
RR. Ashcroft
R. Neale

In. Fort, Mathieson, Prior, Ah Chee

We have to become a team with the ability to cover the ground better. Coleman and McLuggage could become the most damaging wingers in the competition. Rayner has a year playing as part of the defensive 6 to really round out his development. Dev. Robertson rolls forward as the forward tagger. Time to roll Starcevich through the guts.

I actually think Rich is really beneficial next season but will probably slowly get phased out as we hit the business end. I would not be surprised if this also happened with Zorko but he also might be done. Last night was a truly horrible performance by the captain, he offered nothing at all.

HB: Rich Adams Coleman
C: Prior Neale Berry
HF: Rayner Hipwood Gunstan/McCarthy
FF: Cameron Daniher Bailey
Bench: Ashcroft, Lohmann/McCarthy, Wilmott, Robertson
Depth: Mathieson, Ah Chee, Cockatoo, Lyons, Coleman, Fletcher, Fort, Fullarton, etc
Out: Gardiner, Zorko, McStay, Robinson
Rich will be back in AA contention in season 2023 providing he gets a full pre-season under his belt.

Starcevich Payne Andrews
Wilmont Adams KColeman

Ashcroft Berry Mcluggage
Neale Dunkly McInerney

Rayner Hipwood Baily
Zorko Daniher Cameron

Interchange:
Rich, McCarthy, Lohmann, Achee

Borderline best 22:
Lyons, Robertson, Fort, Prior, Answerth Mathieson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel we definitly need to get Robertson in there. That effort early in the 2nd quarter where he was trying to get the ball after 3/4 attempts was really good. Only seen glimpses in the seniors, much more common in the reserves, is what we want to see more often and if we give him more a prolonged stay l think our midfield will be complete, especially with the additions of Dunkley and Ashcroft

Starcevich - Andrews - Gardiner
Coleman - Payne - Wilmot
Ah Chee - McCluggage - Ashcroft
McInerney - Neale - Dunkley
Zorko - Hipwood - Bailey
Cameron - Daniher - Rayner
Int: Berry, Cockatoo, McCarthy, Robertson

Perfect world, Cockatoo gets a full pre season in and trains as a lockdown defender in the Answerth mould, ideally taking Answerths spot and improving in contested ball winning and rebound football while being able to lockdown an opponent.

Ah Chee, Ashcroft, Robertson as the main three wings with Berry, Bailey and McCluggage being able to rotate onto the wing if needed.

I think losing McStay is a great chance to explore a two tall forward option. Oscar to be the main ruck, with Daniher handling the forward ruck/occasional centre ruck and Payne training to handle defensive * stoppages. Use Oscar like Gawn, keep him up the field as a bail out option.

Rayner to play as a third tall option and rotate onto the ball with Dunkley. Ideally, both spend little time on the bench and rotate forward and mid each quarter. Both are good in the forward line and would keep a big bodied bull at each stoppage.

I think the above would make us faster and give us a really good mix of two way running players, contested ball winners and class. We'd be a smaller team, but ultimately think we will play better when we play small.

McCarthy, Zorko and Rich would have to earn their spots, while Lyons starts out of the best 22 but could easily find his way in if he could get his groins right. Lohmann and McDowell-White jr are two players I think could surprise many and become best 22 players before the 2023 season is out.

Rich can easily go again next season, his booming left foot into inside 50 that gave us many goals this season his worth the price of the ticket. Many teams would kill to have someone like him who can setup attack from half back/centre square & wouldn’t it be nice to send him off with a premiership?

Starcevich Payne Andrews
Wilmont Adams KColeman

Ashcroft Berry Mcluggage
Neale Dunkly McInerney

Rayner Hipwood Baily
Zorko Daniher Cameron

Interchange:
Rich, McCarthy, Lohmann, Achee

Borderline best 22:
Lyons, Robertson, Fort, Prior, Answerth Mathieson.
Outside of Robertson for Ah Chee, love this team.

Contested bulls in Neale and Dunkley (fingers crossed), Berry to play a more negating role, outside class in Ashcroft and McLuggage, and that backline. :handok:

Starcevich Adam’s Rich
Coleman Andrew’s Willmott

Berry McCluggage Ashcroft
Oscar Neal Dunkley

Gunston Hipwood Lohmann
McCarthy Daniher Cameron

Interchange
Robertson Rayner Zorko Bailey

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Starcevich- Payne/Adams- Rich
Coleman - Andrews - new player or role change

McCluggage - Berry - new player

Bailey - Hippy - Rayner
Cameron - Daniher - new player

Foll: McInerney - Neale - new player

I/C: Zorko - Dev Robertson - McCarthy - Wilmot if no 2nd year blues

new players = Consider who ever we bring in - Ashcroft, Dunkley, Gunston. See what trades eventuate

Others if position not filled by new players
Gardiner (if he stays), Lyons, AhChee, Mathieson, Prior, Answerth, Tunstill, Fort, Fullarton, Sharp, Madden, Lohmann

I think losing McStay is a great chance to explore a two tall forward option. Oscar to be the main ruck, with Daniher handling the forward ruck/occasional centre ruck and Payne training to handle defensive * stoppages. Use Oscar like Gawn, keep him up the field as a bail out option.

Poor Payne doesn't get to ruck by the looks of that post.. sad face..

You know you swear too much when autocorrect turns ruck into * lol.
Might suggest altering the swear filter so it just automatically turns that word back into ruck.

Embrace weirdness!

Whilst Ashcroft can play outside his biggest weapon imo is his lightning hands inside. One of his biggest weaknesses is also his defensive play in space and his hard running to get back in defense (this is very common for star junior mids though and is usually hammered out quickly). For those reasons I would be factoring in plenty of onball time for him next season.

Rich will be back in AA contention in season 2023 providing he gets a full pre-season under his belt.
Its possible but I feel like he'd need to change things up a little. I reckon he might need to drop some weight. Not a fat joke but he has always been solid player but pace is becoming more of a worry for him. He can get dropped by quick forwards. If he dropped a few kgs and worked on his speed he could still have a another big year. But its border line for me - I hope he rebounds as I love watching him play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back