First 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I would go another step to that and say that if Daniel doesn't get through a full pre-season, he will most likely call it a day. The man is still huge value to our 22 providing his preparation for the season ticks all boxes unlike this year. What a career he has had and how loyal to Brisbane has he been?
Would assume that means his body isn't in the greatest of nick?

He was awesome in 2021. Whilst his kicking seemed to get a bit shorter this year, i thought his general play was the worry. He was so good at reading the ball and intercepting last year. this year for some reason that seemed to drop off, maybe not getting around as well?

Been a warrior so however it happens hope we handle it well. Could have left in the dark years but stuck around and gave us some hope.

FB: Gardiner Andrews Payne
HB: Starcevich Coleman Wilmot
Fol: McInerney Neale Robertson
Mid: McLuggage Dunkley Aschcroft
HF: Bailey Raynor Linc
FF: Daniher Hipwood Charlie (2 talls)
Int: Rich, Zorko, Berry, Fort.
Sub: Ah Chee - seems to be about the most versatile player on the list.

Next in line depends on the need but no surprises: Answerth, Adams, Lyons, Mathieson, Fullarton, Prior.

Some background:
  • has Adams recovered from concussion? think Payne needs games to improve his game sense but his pace and versatility as a tall is perhaps a bit more valueable than Adams going forward. If anything Adams in for Gardiner and Payne as the "mid sized" defender role Gardiner plays. noting that with injury there'll all get chances
  • Wilmot in as the defense needs at least one player with genuine pace
  • Robertson as a defensive player who can still find the ball
  • Aschcroft - look at Nick Daicos and Sam Walsh first years, aschcroft will be first 22 and suited to a wing in first season. He gives us spread from the stoppages which we don't really have.
  • One thing looking at this list of "next in line" is that you wouldn't say any of them are fast. Tom Berry and Harry Sharp the only two that come to mind with that pace and tank. But not sure either will be on the list next season.

Aschcroft - look at Nick Daicos and Sam Walsh first years, aschcroft will be first 22 and suited to a wing in first season. He gives us spread from the stoppages which we don't really have.
Worth listening to Cal Twomey on the AFL Exchange podcast, as he explains the differences between the impact that Daicos had, to Walsh.

He expects Ashcroft to have a Walsh like impact. Which is significantly less than Daicos’s impact.

Would assume that means his body isn't in the greatest of nick?

He was awesome in 2021. Whilst his kicking seemed to get a bit shorter this year, i thought his general play was the worry. He was so good at reading the ball and intercepting last year. this year for some reason that seemed to drop off, maybe not getting around as well?

Been a warrior so however it happens hope we handle it well. Could have left in the dark years but stuck around and gave us some hope.
I’m not fully defending Joe because some turgid efforts makes me sick. BUT he did dislocate his shoulder early on and instead of getting surgery straight away he delayed it until seasons end. So I’m prepared to cut him a little slack.

B: Starcevich Andrews Rich
B: Adams Payne Coleman

C: Robertson Neale Berry

F: Bailey Fullarton Rayner
F: McCarthy Hipwood Cameron

Foll: Fort McCluggage Ashcroft

Bench Wilmot Mathieson Dunkley Ah Chee

Next best that can make the side if attitude improves: Zorko Daniher McInernay

Never again: Gardiner Lester Lyons Answerth

Worth listening to Cal Twomey on the AFL Exchange podcast, as he explains the differences between the impact that Daicos had, to Walsh.

He expects Ashcroft to have a Walsh like impact. Which is significantly less than Daicos’s impact.

I think he will have a strong impact, especially as he and Dunkley together fill many of our gaps in one hit. I think they could be a big part of what takes us to the next level.

I think he will have a strong impact, especially as he and Dunkley together fill many of our gaps in one hit. I think they could be a big part of what takes us to the next level.
Honestly a little underwhelmed by Ashcroft today. Really needs Neale to take him under his wing to teach him to be much more damaging with his disposals and not turn the ball over so much.

Honestly a little underwhelmed by Ashcroft today. Really needs Neale to take him under his wing to teach him to be much more damaging with his disposals and not turn the ball over so much.

Tough critic.

Absolutely think he needs to work on his disposal but that will be a relatively easy fix in an AFL environment, especially with the likes of Neale, McCluggage and Dunkley to learn from.

What he showed today was - IMO - a 'business as usual' first three quarters followed by a match winning fourth quarter. It wasn't his best performance this year, but a perfect example of how good an 'average' Will Ashcroft game already is.

Agree, however I agree with Nunez. He looked like he didn’t even get out of 2nd gear. I was concerned with his defensive running and he only sprinted when he had ball in hand.

In regards to disposal the overall standard was terrible. I haven’t watched any other games this year but I wasn’t not impressed with overall talent either. The difference with Ashcroft was how clean he was at the coalface. Yes he did just throw it on to this boot at times but he was cleaner than the others.

Agree, however I agree with Nunez. He looked like he didn’t even get out of 2nd gear. I was concerned with his defensive running and he only sprinted when he had ball in hand.

In regards to disposal the overall standard was terrible. I haven’t watched any other games this year but I wasn’t not impressed with overall talent either. The difference with Ashcroft was how clean he was at the coalface. Yes he did just throw it on to this boot at times but he was cleaner than the others.
In Will's defence though, the game was pretty much a showcase game wasn't it designed for players to push there cause to recruiters - without a lot being on the line?

Given Will has nominated and possibly signed with the Lions, I thought a lot of them were playing bruise free footy which is pretty understandable. That being said, I only watched the last Q so I could be completely wrong too lol

In Will's defence though, the game was pretty much a showcase game wasn't it designed for players to push there cause to recruiters - without a lot being on the line?

Given Will has nominated and possibly signed with the Lions, I thought a lot of them were playing bruise free footy which is pretty understandable. That being said, I only watched the last Q so I could be completely wrong too lol
Showcase game? No, national championship was on the line. Thought Country were hard done by to lose as they really brought it to Vic Metro. On your second point that’s definitely a possibility and the GF he played and won last week was more important. Not sure but it definitely wasn’t a showcase game. Saturdays Futures match is an exhibition game.

Showcase game? No, national championship was on the line. Thought Country were hard done by to lose as they really brought it to Vic Metro. On your second point that’s definitely a possibility and the GF he played and won last week was more important. Not sure but it definitely wasn’t a showcase game. Saturdays Futures match is an exhibition game.
Thanks for clarifying - I think I may have had the game mixed up with the game to be played b4 the GF on Saturday Futures game or something.

I assume WA, SA Allies werent playing as well? So this COuntry v Metro was a GF of sorts as far as the u/18 state carnival goes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for clarifying - I think I may have had the game mixed up with the game to be played b4 the GF on Saturday Futures game or something.

I assume WA, SA Allies werent playing as well? So this COuntry v Metro was a GF of sorts as far as the u/18 state carnival goes?
This is correct. Both VC and VM had 3 wins a piece. This was the decider.

Starcevich Adam’s Rich
Coleman Andrew’s Willmott

Berry McCluggage Ashcroft
Oscar Neal Dunkley

Gunston Hipwood Lohmann
McCarthy Daniher Cameron

Interchange
Robertson Rayner Zorko Bailey

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This will be it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

FB: Gardiner Andrews Payne
HB: Starcevich Coleman Wilmot
Fol: McInerney Neale Robertson
Mid: McLuggage Dunkley Aschcroft
HF: Bailey Raynor Linc
FF: Daniher Hipwood Charlie (2 talls)
Int: Rich, Zorko, Berry, Fort.
Sub: Ah Chee - seems to be about the most versatile player on the list.

Next in line depends on the need but no surprises: Answerth, Adams, Lyons, Mathieson, Fullarton, Prior.

Some background:
  • has Adams recovered from concussion? think Payne needs games to improve his game sense but his pace and versatility as a tall is perhaps a bit more valueable than Adams going forward. If anything Adams in for Gardiner and Payne as the "mid sized" defender role Gardiner plays. noting that with injury there'll all get chances
  • Wilmot in as the defense needs at least one player with genuine pace
  • Robertson as a defensive player who can still find the ball
  • Aschcroft - look at Nick Daicos and Sam Walsh first years, aschcroft will be first 22 and suited to a wing in first season. He gives us spread from the stoppages which we don't really have.
  • One thing looking at this list of "next in line" is that you wouldn't say any of them are fast. Tom Berry and Harry Sharp the only two that come to mind with that pace and tank. But not sure either will be on the list next season.
LOVE this 22! I also agree re perhaps Adams replacing Gardiner. I could see Darcy exploring FA anyway, would suit the doggies for example. Payne Train is starting to come one and become fairly dependable (still get a squeaky bum whenever he's kicking though)

LOOOOOOVE Rayner at CHF. I've been thinking, McStay going out, one thing I'd wanna try next year if I was our coach, would be to now give Rayner a lot more focus within our overall game plan. Imagine Cam playing as THE key forward, toby greene style. Roaming CHF and then goes down to the goal square at times. Splitting time between this role and then as a bull in the midfield.

You then have Charlie being Charlie, Hipwood and Daniher roaming (makes us a way better side when these guys are getting up and down the ground) + the other smalls. yummmmmmmmm

FB. J. Berry Andrews Starcevich
HB. Coleman Payne Wilmott
Fol. McInerney Dunkley Neale
Mid. McCluggage Rayner Ashcroft
HF. Bailey Hipwood Gunston
FF. Cameron Daniher Zorko
Int. Robertson Adams, Mathieson Fort
Sub. Lyons
Emerg. Lohmann McCarthy Tunstill Prior Lester

Berry as a lockdown/rebounding back. He‘s 193cm and could play as a third tall. Replaces Gardiner. Adams as backup on the bench.
Rayner in the middle. Time to use his grunt. Can improve again next year. I think he will flourish
with the responsibility of the position.
Gunston as a forward General.
I think Zorko has one more year left.

B: Starc, Adams, Rich
HB: Coleman, Andrews, Wilmot
* still lacks fast medium interceptors

M: Zac Bailey, Neale, Luggage
Foll: Omac, Dunks, Berry
* We saw what berry can do in the inside. Will be a brutal combo with Berry. Neale to play make around them. Lugg back to his AA potential role on the wing

HF: CC, Hippy, Rayner
F: Lincoln, Joe, Gunstan
* rotate speed through it

Int: Dev, Ashcroft, best 2 in form

Starce Adams Gardiner
Bowes Andrews Coleman
Ashcroft Dunkley Ah Chee
McInerney Neale McCluggage
Rayner Hipwood Bailey
Cameron Daniher Gunston
Bench: Zorko, Berry, Robertson, Wilmot/Rich
Can’t remember what Bowes is like athletically but if he’s mobile enough and can get fit enough to play the wing then I’d move him up in place of Ah Chee and have both Wilmot and Rich across halfback

Can’t remember what Bowes is like athletically but if he’s mobile enough and can get fit enough to play the wing then I’d move him up in place of Ah Chee and have both Wilmot and Rich across halfback

I think Bowes could play on the ball or on the wing as well as half back.

I really want Ah Chee in the team.

Ins- Dunkley, Ashcroft, Gunston, Bowes.

Outs- McStay, Gardiner, Rich, Ah Chee.

Darcy Wilmot, Harris Andrews, Brandon Starcevich.
Keidean Coleman, Jack Payne, Marcus Adams.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Josh Dunkley.
Will Ashcroft, Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage.

Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Jack Gunston.
Dayne Zorko, Joe Daniher, Zac Bailey.

Dev Robertson, Jack Bowes, Cam Rayner, Darcy Fort.

Will pick 7 get us Cheezel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back