First club to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PetterdHoisted

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Tiges get to 15 in the current era before rejuvenation will be required, rule of fives for them.

I like the Dees as first to 17, have form for stringing together 5 or 6 in quick succession.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Hmmmmm.

If Richmond were awesome between 2013 and 2016, then the following holds true:

Collingwood 1897 - 2020: Awesome.
Oh, salted caramel Fadge... Richmond 13-present is considered awesome because we started making finals again, which has since led to three premierships. Collingwood 59-87 was not awesome, regardless of how many grand finals you lost. But 88-90 you can have as awesome. Started making finals, and culminated in a flag. You can’t even extend that out, because you weren’t really in contention after 1990. Sure those two GF losses to Brisbane in early 2000s were nearly awesome, but ultimately not at all. I’ll give awesome again from 2006 to 2013, because there was a flag in there.

So to put it in terms relevant to today, Collingwood being successful is like a seasonal flu, whereas Richmond are like a global pandemic.

This is such a weird hypothetical, for all we know any team could be in a drought still in 20 years time.

I can tell you now if you asked someone this in 2000 they would have thought Carlton or Essendon would be at 20 by now.
Totally agree, and it’s continued to be the expectation (those two and Collingwood). I’d love to see them caught and overtaken by another team. Just for the history making aspect of it.

Fadge

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh, salted caramel Fadge... Richmond 13-present is considered awesome because we started making finals again, which has since led to three premierships. Collingwood 59-87 was not awesome, regardless of how many grand finals you lost. But 88-90 you can have as awesome. Started making finals, and culminated in a flag. You can’t even extend that out, because you weren’t really in contention after 1990. Sure those two GF losses to Brisbane in early 2000s were nearly awesome, but ultimately not at all. I’ll give awesome again from 2006 to 2013, because there was a flag in there.

So to put it in terms relevant to today, Collingwood being successful is like a seasonal flu, whereas Richmond are like a global pandemic.
You really do have to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic to be a Richmond supporter.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pretty clear Carlton are the most likely from here. Their list is set up for a few years to make the jump. Essendon's list needs at least another 5 years to seriously contend. Pies list is closer than Essendon's but wont win 2 with their track record before their list needs to be rejuvenated, and the rest need a string of flags of 4 or more to get there and with current lists, age profiles and time that'll be pretty impossible to do.

sandeano

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Space
Surely it has to be Carlton.

Richmond has possibly one, maybe two at most flags left in this current cycle. Now that the club is cashed up, has a huge membership and is splendidly run it will hopefully take only another decade after that to be competitive again (rather than 30-odd years).

Carlton is the gear clicking right into contention. They appear to have learnt a lot of lessons and their team on and off the field looks settled and potentially very competitive. Yes, it could all fall over very quickly but within three to four years if progress continues upwards then they should nab their 17th.

Essendon, if they get their act together, will be a year or two behind that.

Collingwood is the hard one to read. Plateauing, going up or down? Hard to tell with that lot.

The Hawks seem to have a flurry of flags when they hit form, so I wouldn't count them out fully either.

Remove this Banner Ad