First club to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No matter the state of each team, it’s like starting a match 3 goals down.

Richmond can win another one, maybe 2.

The most likely clubs to get to 17 first are the ones closest to 17.

You would think that would be the case but Melbourne says Bullshit.
1964 - won since
Melb 12 - 0
Ess 11 - 5
Carl 8 - 8
Coll 13 - 2
Rich 5 - 7
Haw 1 - 12

Coll, Carl, Ess did have an advantage over Richmond of 2, 3 and 2 flags respectively and a huge advantage over Hawthorn of 5, 6 and 5 flags respectively even Richmond had 2 before the Hawks joined.

You would think that would be the case but Melbourne says Bulls**t.
1964 - won since
Melb 12 - 0
Ess 11 - 5
Carl 8 - 8
Coll 13 - 2
Rich 5 - 7
Haw 1 - 12

Coll, Carl, Ess did have an advantage over Richmond of 2, 3 and 2 flags respectively and a huge advantage over Hawthorn of 5, 6 and 5 flags respectively even Richmond had 2 before the Hawks joined.
I would not be so keen to compare older flags with newer flags. The system is pretty different these days.

While I can't see Essendon or Carlton (or any other Etihad tennant) winning a flag from the top, I guess with the Final 8 system and the bye in the right circumstances any team that gets their act together at the end of the season can do a 'Doggies 2016' from 5th-7th on the ladder. You get a week off and then just have to win 4 in a row and the cup is yours. Sounds easy.

Collingwood and Richmond the only ones in a premiership window, but I personally feel the Pies with this group won't win one, but still the best chance. Don't think Richmond can win 5 before Pies can win 2, or Carlton or Essendon 1. Hawthorn if they have another dynasty. Carlton and Essendon don't really seem like challenging for at least 2 years to me.

As much as I've enjoyed watching Carlton being not very good for a while, I have to say that they strike me as most likely to reach 17.

That being the case, I vote we change the thread title to "Will Carlton make 17 flags before any other club, or will they choke?" :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 in my lifetime and I was 56 last Friday, our 37 years in the wilderness does taint peoples view of not only our success but our popularity/size as well.
Yep, a real testament to your club to remain top 2 sizewise (with Pies) despite the lean years.

This is not meant as a dig, really more a reflection on the passion of the supporters.

The opposite stereotype is perhaps the pompous Demons.

Why not Essendon?

Good question! I wish I had a good answer. :)

Had you asked me mid-way through the season I'd have gone for Essendon without a doubt, but I think the back half of Carlton's season was pretty good and I think they can see a fair bit of improvement under Teague. By contrast, Worsfold has been on the job at Essendon for three years and there seems to be some strong sentiment that things might have hit a ceiling.

That's not to dismiss Essendon's chances at all. They're doing some good things and their recruitment of Caracella to their coaching department won't hurt.

It's just that I feel Carlton have more up-side at the moment.

Last edited:
Won't happen because it's an absurd idea.
It's a totally ridiculous idea to think you can add premierships from a totally separate league to the AFL tallies, the VFL and VFA ran concurrently for decades.

As far as the AFL goes it is the same league that came into existence in 1897. There was never a time where the VFL was wound up and a new league called the AFL started up. A change in name doesn't make it a new competition.

Teams were added to an existing competition. Flags won in the VFA, Sanfl, Wafl and any other leagues are of no relevance to the AFL.

6 in my lifetime and I was 56 last Friday, our 37 years in the wilderness does taint peoples view of not only our success but our popularity/size as well.
I saw 6 flags in a 15 year period (68-82) a further 2 over the next 13 years and nothing in the 24 years since. we

I am hoping to see a few more yet, quite possibly the next one will be the sweetest one yet after all the years of suffering. Will be even better if we are the first to 17 but I'm not going to go all in and say we will be.

Back