First club to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

These threads are impossible to pick

If you told me late 2016 the tigers would win a flag in 2017 (let alone 3 of the next 4)....we are where they were then. In so many ways its eerie

Port and bris being top 2 a couple of years ago...nah

Premierships can be won by pretty much any team where everything comes together just so.
Bombers have a Coleman medalist, Brownlow medalist, generational full back and a player like Martin? All their ducks in a row off field? 5 years of sustained improvement before the aberration year? We had all that in 2016.

I’d say the Bombers are a fair way off it still.

I think 1983 is the starting point as that's when the AFL went full time, had a national draft and started to recruit players nationwide more.

by that theory, Hawthorn are miles in front

Personally I count from 1987 when Brisbane and West Coast joined, that was the start of the AFL.

And Hawthorn are miles in front.

Carlton 1
Essendon 2
Collingwood 2
Richmond 3
Geelong 3
Brisbane 3
West Coast 4
Hawthorn 7

How?

Given they've been somewhere between pathetic and mediocre for 90% of their existence?

Yet the flag tally reads like this..

Carlton - 16 flags
Essendon - 16 flags
Collingwood - 15 flags
Hawthorn - 13 flags
Richmond - 13 flags

For a club that's been 'pathetic and mediocre' for 90% of our existence (your words) we're not far off the top of the flag tally. :)

Carlton - 16 flags
Essendon - 16 flags
Collingwood - 15 flags
Hawthorn - 13 flags
Richmond - 13 flags

For a club that's been 'pathetic and mediocre' for 90% of our existence (your words) we're not far off the top of the flag tally. :)

It is pretty easy to win the flag a lot when you are only one of 8 teams.

There's no V

Port has 30+ premierships and I still can't believe Rozee didn't win the brownlow

#robbed

Agree with this sentiment.

The club with the most AFL premierships is Hawthorn with 5.

A few clubs on 3, Brisbane, Richmond, WestCoast.

But the hawks have been the most successful club in the AFL.

In the VFL when the vic league was the top comp in the country, it was Carlton at 15.

Racing for a number 17 is task for supporters living in the past at Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood perhaps even Richmond or Hawthorn.

The clock was set in 1990 when the AFL started. Different competition so different concept of a flag, not hard to understand.

Why isn't South Melbourne's flag tally more than 5 then?
Foundation club, 8 team competition..

You seem to have mistaken me for someone who cares about what happened in the 1913 premiership season, or the 1909 season, or the 1929 season, or the 1964 season. I really don't. It was not a professional competition back then and the competition didn't even have the best players in the country.

You seem to have mistaken me for someone who cares about what happened in the 1913 premiership season, or the 1909 season, or the 1929 season, or the 1964 season. I really don't. It was not a professional competition back then and the competition didn't even have the best players in the country.

Ok so you want to shift the goalposts to only AFL flags count?

AFL flags:
Richmond - 3
Sydney - 2

Ok so you want to shift the goalposts to only AFL flags count?

AFL flags:
Richmond - 3
Sydney - 2

Why are you making this a Sydney vs Richmond thing?

I have stated that I believe we should only count flags from 1990 onwards, and that is what I believe. If it makes you feel happier that Richmond has won more flags than Sydney in that time then go ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not 1987 then? West Coast and Brisbane joined.
Or 1982 when the game began to expand nationally with the Swans relocating.

1990 was the official moment though when the VFL realised they could not go it alone, that they needed the competition to be national. Sure there were a few non-Victorian teams in the competition already, but with the game still called the "VFL" that was just Victorians "allowing" a few non-Victorian teams to participate, rather than them actually wanting the game to be national. The changing of the name to the AFL signifies a big shift in how the game was run, and was also reasonably close to full professionalism, where every player earned enough so they did not need another job (though not exact as that happened a bit after).

Personally I count from 1987 when Brisbane and West Coast joined, that was the start of the AFL.

And Hawthorn are miles in front.

Carlton 1
Essendon 2
Collingwood 2
Richmond 3
Geelong 3
Brisbane 3
West Coast 4
Hawthorn 7
Add Sydney - 2, Bulldogs - 1, Adelaide - 2, North - 2 and Port - 1.

Speaking of pathetic and mediocre Fadge, the tigers have won MORE flags in the last 4 year than the Pies in the last 60 years:)

Carlton - 16 flags
Essendon - 16 flags
Collingwood - 15 flags
Hawthorn - 13 flags
Richmond - 13 flags

Hook, line and sinker.

You would think that given their recent period of success, their persecution complex would be no longer.

Obviously not.

Probably Essendon or Carlton. Leaning towards Carlton only because they have a slightly better list atm. Odds are neither win a flag in the next 5 years though. Anything after that is a crap shoot.

Tigers are a little bit too far back so even if they jag another 1 or 2 flags with this group it won't be enough.

The Pies have been in contention but need to sort out their list management.

Carlton - 16 flags
Essendon - 16 flags
Collingwood - 15 flags
Hawthorn - 13 flags
Richmond - 13 flags

Richmond's history is:

1908-1918: Poo
1919-1944: Awesome
1945-1964: Poo
1965-1982: Awesome
1983-2012: Poo
2013-now: Awesome

Hook, line and sinker.

You would think that given their recent period of success, their persecution complex would be no longer.

Obviously not.
Oh Fadge you poor bastard.
I know after 2017 you thought fluke, then beating us in the 2018 prelim no doubt was your happiest day ever thinking you ended our era.
You called our era dead again in 2019 only to see us win another flag.
Earlier this year you again called our era dead only to see us go back2back.
I know it eats you up inside that in 4 short years we have eclipsed anything the pies have done in the last 60 years.
I do actually feel for you, I don’t hate Collingwood anymore much like I don’t hate Carlton, pity yes but hate no.

How?

Given they've been somewhere between pathetic and mediocre for 90% of their existence?
We've been in the league for 113 seasons. If we've been pathetic and mediocre for 90% that means we've been not pathetic and not mediocre for 10% of it or 11 seasons.

Intrigued to know which two premiership years we were pathetic and mediocre, and why.

I don’t hate Collingwood anymore much like I don’t hate Carlton, pity yes but hate no.
Nah, you still hate us.

I wore a Richmond jumper on the 2017 Grand Final day, such was my pity for them after 35 years as THE laughing stock of the AFL.

Will you be wearing a Collingwood guernsey and supporting us when we play in our next Grand Final?

Thought not.

Back