First club to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If a team won 100 premierships in a row ending in 2009 it is still very relevant and would be constantly talked about.

No one disputes that the more recent a premiership the more it is in conversation, but your system is particularly poor.

Look at the Brisbane 3 peat from 01-03 which is still talked about now.
Nobody disputes that Brisbane were the best side from 2000-2010 and we often have treads comparing those teams with that of the 09-11-13 and 13-14-15 teams.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
I think a lot of people have gotten upset about this. The thing is a grand final in 1953 is really only majorly significant to a small percentage of the population.

I firmly believe that the most recent premiership will always hold more power.
Being able to revel and brag about the achievements of your club is one of the most important things about supporting a club. Without that history, the club is nothing.

But certainly the most recent flags mean much more. It's a vastly different thing to be able to say that you've actually been able to see your club do things. As a Richmond supporter born after 1980 I know that more than anyone.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Nobody disputes that Brisbane were the best side from 2000-2010 and we often have treads comparing those teams with that of the 09-11-13 and 13-14-15 teams.

‘yep we have discussions but Brisbane is the benchmark because they were NAMES + system.
Progress via geelong Hawthorn onto richmond where it’s names +SYSTEM

HG Pennypacker

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2011
London
AFL Club
Adelaide
I haven’t read the whole thread and ignoring the ‘validity of the premierships’ argument.

to me it would have to be Collingwood or Carlton. Bombers looks years off to me. The pies really should be there already

it wouldn’t shock me if Richmond get a couple more flags out of this team as well, putting them on 15 then who knows, they might have a chance

GoGeta

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
The Catters might catch up pretty quick, haven't you heard? We are the destination club.
We are bringing in guys like Cameron, Smith and Higgins. We are also investing heavily in our very own, club based retirement home development to make sure
all the newly arrived talent feel comfortable and safe in their new environment.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I wonder what those 120,000 people who attended the 1970 Grand Final think of that? (Melbourne population 2/5 million) Perhaps they discuss it with the 100,000 plus who attended the Grand Final in the 50's, '60's, 70's and '80s 27 times in an amateur and semi-professional local league? You have to ask yourself why do we all bother?
It’s semi understandable why people cut it at 1990, but when you actually look at it, the difference between 1989 and 1990 was the same as the difference between 2018 and 2019. Nothing. All that happened was a name change - it’s like saying Western Bulldogs club history goes back to 1997. Before that is Footscray and it’s a different club.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’s semi understandable why people cut it at 1990, but when you actually look at it, the difference between 1989 and 1990 was the same as the difference between 2018 and 2019. Nothing. All that happened was a name change - it’s like saying Western Bulldogs club history goes back to 1997. Before that is Footscray and it’s a different club.
I guess you could wind the clock back to 1981 when we had a national draft. This is why I'm not a fan of comparing periods, comparing GOATS etc. AT some stage the game became more professional (1983)??? where players were paid as full time players. The game went from a non professional league to a professional full time league. It's hard to ignore those changes.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I guess you could wind the clock back to 1981 when we had a national draft. This is why I'm not a fan of comparing periods, comparing GOATS etc. AT some stage the game became more professional (1983)??? where players were paid as full time players. The game went from a non professional league to a professional full time league. It's hard to ignore those changes.
It’s all a progression over time, it’s really impossible to draw a line anywhere and call it better than any other point in time.

Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Being able to revel and brag about the achievements of your club is one of the most important things about supporting a club. Without that history, the club is nothing.

But certainly the most recent flags mean much more. It's a vastly different thing to be able to say that you've actually been able to see your club do things. As a Richmond supporter born after 1980 I know that more than anyone.

Imagine trying to explain this to a foreigner new to AFL:

'How many Australian Football league titles have Collingwood won?

'15. We won our first one in 1902'.

'But I thought the AFL only began in 1990?'

'Yes, but it was the successor organisation to the Victorian Football League'

'So this was just a league for the best players and clubs in Victoria? '

'Actually, for a long period there was a rival organisation called the VFA. In 1924 they had a 'Superbowl' type game to determine the best club in Victoria and the VFA won'.

'So it was like half of a state league which some years didn't even have the all the best state players or even the best team?'

'Well, it usually had best team, but pretty much'.

'So why did they change the name?'

'Well, because now there were teams from all over the country. It was now an Australian football League. It would be pretty dumb to call an Australian Football League the 'Victorian Football League'.

'Haha, that would be pretty dumb. So again, how many flags have you won in the Australian Football League?

'15'.

'But you just said it became a national competition. Why are you counting state league titles still? Do the other state league titles count as Australian Football League titles?'

'Of course not. You can't count flags from some state league in a national competition.'

'Ok, I get it. You're completely insane and none of what you just said makes any logical sense'.

'Yes it does, because the official records say it does'.

That's 'history' in the same way that North Korea is officially 'Democratic'. It's really called complete bullsh*t.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Imagine trying to explain this to a foreigner new to AFL:

'How many Australian Football league titles have Collingwood won?

'15. We won our first one in 1902'.

'But I thought the AFL only began in 1990?'

'Yes, but it was the successor organisation to the Victorian Football League'

'So this was just a league for the best players and clubs in Victoria? '

'Actually, for a long period there was a rival organisation called the VFA. In 1924 they had a 'Superbowl' type game to determine the best club in Victoria and the VFA won'.

'So it was like half of a state league which some years didn't even have the all the best state players or even the best team?'

'Well, it usually had best team, but pretty much'.

'So why did they change the name?'

'Well, because now there were teams from all over the country. It was now an Australian football League. It would be pretty dumb to call an Australian Football League the 'Victorian Football League'.

'Haha, that would be pretty dumb. So again, how many flags have you won in the Australian Football League?

'15'.

'But you just said it became a national competition. Why are you counting state league titles still? Do the other state league titles count as Australian Football League titles?'

'Of course not. You can't count flags from some state league in a national competition.'

'Ok, I get it. You're completely insane and none of what you just said makes any logical sense'.

'Yes it does, because the official records say it does'.

That's 'history' in the same way that North Korea is officially 'Democratic'. It's really called complete bullsh*t.
Or you could not be a complete *, and just say "it's the same competition they just changed the name for marketing reasons, because there had been non Victorian teams in the league for years so it made sense to change the name from Victorian football league to Australian football league".

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
2 more with the same group is a bit much, let alone the next 2 which would make us the greatest team in history.

if we get one more from this group ill be happy, and that puts us on 14. then its just if we can get another dynasty before either essendon or carlton win 1, or collingwood 2. seems unlikely.
The opposition is pretty weak, they don't have a lot to beat...i'm still not sure they are playing football?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
These threads are impossible to pick

If you told me late 2016 the tigers would win a flag in 2017 (let alone 3 of the next 4)....we are where they were then. In so many ways its eerie

Port and bris being top 2 a couple of years ago...nah

Premierships can be won by pretty much any team where everything comes together just so.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
These threads are impossible to pick

If you told me late 2016 the tigers would win a flag in 2017 (let alone 3 of the next 4)....we are where they were then. In so many ways its eerie

Port and bris being top 2 a couple of years ago...nah

Premierships can be won by pretty much any team where everything comes together just so.
Not really. Saints have 1 in 120ish years.

Freo zero.

Premierships are hard to predict but there must be something to it.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Absolutely, living in that era I have no recollection of the change, as all that happened was a rename to satisfy the interstate clubs that their license money wasnt wasted, it certainly had no feeling of being a whole new competition.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I wonder what those 120,000 people who attended the 1970 Grand Final think of that? (Melbourne population 2/5 million) Perhaps they discuss it with the 100,000 plus who attended the Grand Final in the 50's, '60's, 70's and '80s 27 times in an amateur and semi-professional local league? You have to ask yourself why do we all bother?

I would discuss it with them but I suspect over half the people who attended the 1970 Grand Final are dead.

Either way. I am talking about professionalism. The old VFL was a very very different animal to the modern AFL. It wasn't just the name that changed, the VFL was a small regional league that did not even always have the best players, and often the players were not paid, they only had one coach and the coaches strategy was basically "hit harder". Everything that happened during this period was interesting from a historical point of view, but also largely irrelevant.

I mean this counts as a Swans premiership too, but I would hardly count it

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone else have a feeling that those espousing to disregard the historical premierships from bygone eras are Millenials who truly can't understand that the world existed long before they arrived on the planet?

I think the young group North is developing right now is really solid. This might sound biased, but I don't think it's crazy to suggest they could win 13 flags in the next couple of years.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone else have a feeling that those espousing to disregard the historical premierships from bygone eras are Millenials who truly can't understand that the world existed long before they arrived on the planet?

If WW2 was an amateur war between a few people beating each other over the head with sticks I might disregard that too.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I'm younger than millennial and count all flags from 1897.
The divide is closer to Victorian vs non-Victorian than young vs old.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It doesn't really matter as VFL premierships do not hold the same value as AFL premierships, would rather see who can catch up to Hawthorn's AFL record.

In saying that, out of the big 4 clubs to reach 17 VFL/AFL flags, Richmond will probably be the first.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It doesn't really matter as VFL premierships do not hold the same value as AFL premierships, would rather see who can catch up to Hawthorn's AFL record.

In saying that, out of the big 4 clubs to reach 17 VFL/AFL flags, Richmond will probably be the first.
I think 1983 is the starting point as that's when the AFL went full time, had a national draft and started to recruit players nationwide more.

by that theory, Hawthorn are miles in front

Back