First club to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go, another welcome arrival into the BigFooty lexicon.

Wojcinski logic = wojic.

According to wogic you deem something to mean something it doesn’t mean to create a straw man illusion that you can bravely slay with mordant sarcasm.

More wogic please, whilst not approaching the chakra aligning levels of fadgic it is nevertheless inner contentment giving. 😁
wojic or wogic? let me know how to spell it so I can tell my wife I'm famous on the internet!

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
wojic or wogic? let me know how to spell it so I can tell my wife I'm famous on the internet!

I think a greater segment of wojcinski and lesser segment of logic is called for but you know, the other way works well too.

Wojcinski logic equals wojic.

Wojcinski logic equally equals wogic.

I personally don’t think it is right calling people names they don’t like, dead against it myself. So which do you prefer? 😉

Last edited:

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Premiership contenders since 2000:
2000 - Essendon
2001 - Brisbane, Essendon
2002 - Brisbane, Collingwood, Adelaide, Port Adelaide
2003 - Brisbane, Collingwood, Port Adelaide
2004 - Port Adelaide, Brisbane, St. Kilda, Geelong
2005 - Sydney, West Coast, Adelaide, St. Kilda
2006 - West Coast, Sydney, Adelaide
2007 - Geelong, Port Adelaide, Collingwood, West Coast
2008 - Hawthorn, Geelong
2009 - Geelong, St. Kilda, Western Bulldogs
2010 - Collingwood, St. Kilda, Geelong, Western Bulldogs
2011 - Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn
2012 - Sydney, Hawthorn, Adelaide
2013 - Hawthorn, Fremantle, Geelong
2014 - Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, Fremantle, Port Adelaide
2015 - Hawthorn, West Coast, Fremantle, Sydney
2016 - Western Bulldogs, Sydney, GWS, Adelaide, West Coast, Hawthorn, Geelong
2017 - Richmond, Adelaide, GWS, Geelong
2018 - West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond
2019 - Richmond, GWS, Collingwood, Geelong, Brisbane, West Coast
2020 - Richmond, Geelong, Port Adelaide, Brisbane, West Coast
2021 - Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Geelong, Port Adelaide, Brisbane
Point of this is clearly that Richmond exerted dominance in one of the most competitive eras in league history

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Subiaco just won their 16th.

I can't see them on the poll though.

Strange number to try to get to. Seems a bit random.

East Fremantle did it in 1933
West Perth in 1999
East Perth in 2002

Yeah I think Shepparton and the Dimboola 3rds have done it too.

Gimmeafree

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
No other team, no other sport
It’s easily the Dogs. You see Matt Stevic still has 15 years in him until retirement.

Havoc

Senior List
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Subiaco just won their 16th.

I can't see them on the poll though.

Strange number to try to get to. Seems a bit random.

East Fremantle did it in 1933
West Perth in 1999
East Perth in 2002

Port Adelaide won their 17th premiership in 1956... they have now won 37 premierships. Have any of East Fremantle, West Perth or East Perth won that many premierships?

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Port Adelaide won their 17th premiership in 1956... they have now won 37 premierships. Have any of East Fremantle, West Perth or East Perth won that many premierships?
Oh, yeah Good point. I didn't factor in the other state leagues.

North Hobart reached 17 Premierships in 1947 (and have 27 Premierships), maybe there are others around the country as well.

Maybe the OP meant first to 38?

I just can't work out why the OP has picked 17 as a random number, which has already been passed many years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

brmi

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s easily the Dogs. You see Matt Stevic still has 15 years in him until retirement.
**** Man, you need a life. I mean it's great we live rent free inside your head 24/7, but there's a big wide world out there. Go try it.

GFSyWB16AT-4465.jpg

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Riddle me this...

If Richmond win the next three flags, do we consider their dynasty period as 2017 to 2024, or

Two separate dynasties - 2017 to 2020, and 2022 to 2024, or

As some have suggested, it is only a dynasty if consecutive Premierships are won, meaning two separate dynasties 2019/20 and 2022 to 2024.

I favour the former, but hey, that's just me...

Yes, It would be from 2017-2024 (6 flags in 8 years), as only missing one year in between 2019/20 (2021), like 2018 in the middle of 2017, 2019/20, now, if we don't win in 2022 that would be 2 years in a row not winning a flag and 3 all up 9 years.

So, If we go on to win 3 flags from 2023-2025 (that's a separate dynasty imo).

I consider Geelongs 3 flags a dynasty even though they didn't win at least back2back, 2007, 2009, 2011 (3 flags in 5 years).

Last edited:

Gimmeafree

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
No other team, no other sport
**** Man, you need a life. I mean it's great we live rent free inside your head 24/7, but there's a big wide world out there. Go try it.

View attachment 1279121
don’t think I’m the Lone Ranger in this one champ. 1808 replies, 73 pages and counting in the Umpiring / royal commission thread. You guys need to capitalise on the ‘umpiring to gift a premiership‘ window before it closes. We saw what happened in the grannie when they put the whistle away, 100-7 no?

brmi

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
don’t think I’m the Lone Ranger in this one champ. 1808 replies, 73 pages and counting in the Umpiring / royal commission thread. You guys need to capitalise on the ‘umpiring to gift a premiership‘ window before it closes. We saw what happened in the grannie when they put the whistle away, 100-7 no?
No Champ. We got smashed from half way through the 3rd quarter. Absolutely smashed. No umpiring was going to save anyone from that, not even our normal dream run.

You just seem obsessed with playing the victim role 5 years after we beat you fair and square on GF day at the home of football.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams

North Hobart reached 17 Premierships in 1947 (and have 27 Premierships), maybe there are others around the country as well.

I just can't work out why the OP has picked 17 as a random number, which has already been passed many years ago.

Probably because those other flags were won in different leagues and are therefore irrelevant to the discussion.

Havoc

Senior List
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

North King Island have won a shedload of flags... I know that's for sure! As for thread title first to 17 premierships, I can see it's VFL/AFL only... not factoring in other state leagues. Hence, the reason the official AFL premiership tally shows Port Adelaide have won 1 premiership.. not 37 premierships!

In the VFL/AFL formed in 1897.. there appears to be a big six, where six clubs have won 13 premierships or more in this league, while the next most successful club is Geelong.. having won 9 premierships in this league.

Carlton - 16 premierships
Essendon - 16 premierships
Collingwood - 15 premierships
Hawthorn - 13 premierships
Melbourne - 13 premierships
Richmond - 13 premierships

As I mentioned earlier in this thread... I have a gut feeling either Melbourne or Richmond will be the first club to have won 17 premierships, in reply to the thread title question.

Jul 15, 2012
East Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Mate what do you mean first? Port Adelaide already have 34. If you didn't know just spend 5 minutes with any Port fan and they'll tell ya all about how their 33 SANFL flags should count.
No team named The Port Adelaide Power ever won a SANFL premiership. The way I see it, AFL Port Adelaide are just a spiritual continuation of the SANFL team. Although people are free to disagree with me.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
North King Island have won a shedload of flags... I know that's for sure! As for thread title first to 17 premierships, I can see it's VFL/AFL only... not factoring in other state leagues. Hence, the reason the official AFL premiership tally shows Port Adelaide have won 1 premiership.. not 37 premierships!

In the VFL/AFL formed in 1897.. there appears to be a big six, where six clubs have won 13 premierships or more in this league, while the next most successful club is Geelong.. having won 9 premierships in this league.

Carlton - 16 premierships
Essendon - 16 premierships
Collingwood - 15 premierships
Hawthorn - 13 premierships
Melbourne - 13 premierships
Richmond - 13 premierships

As I mentioned earlier in this thread... I have a gut feeling either Melbourne or Richmond will be the first club to have won 17 premierships, in reply to the thread title question.

Those 6 club's would also dominate the runners up numbers I suspect. Just looking at Melbourne's flags we have won 11 against the other 5 in that list (6 against Collingwood, 4 Essendon, 1 Richmond).

Collingwood/Carlton, Richmond/Carlton, Carlton/Essendon would also be fairly common grand final matchups through the years. Hawks also had a couple against Essendon, a couple with Carlton and one with Melbourne in the 80s.

Havoc

Senior List
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Those 6 club's would also dominate the runners up numbers I suspect. Just looking at Melbourne's flags we have won 11 against the other 5 in that list (6 against Collingwood, 4 Essendon, 1 Richmond).

Collingwood/Carlton, Richmond/Carlton, Carlton/Essendon would also be fairly common grand final matchups through the years. Hawks also had a couple against Essendon, a couple with Carlton and one with Melbourne in the 80s.

Most runners up...
Collingwood - 27
Essendon - 14
Carlton - 13
Sydney - 12
Richmond - 11

To be honest.. I'm surprised that Sydney don't cop more flack for their poor record (5 wins/12 losses) in grand finals. Collingwood cop the "Colliwobbles" tag and Geelong cop the "Handbaggers" tag and rightly so.... given they both have poor records in finals, yet Sydney get off scott free!

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Most runners up...
Collingwood - 27
Essendon - 14
Carlton - 13
Sydney - 12
Richmond - 11

To be honest.. I'm surprised that Sydney don't cop more flack for their poor record (5 wins/12 losses) in grand finals. Collingwood cop the "Colliwobbles" tag and Geelong cop the "Handbaggers" tag and rightly so.... given they both have poor records in finals, yet Sydney get off scott free!
It is because Colliwobbles was like 8 to 10 grand finals in a row, they failed at that people of those times, saw as The Colliwobbles.
Those wobbler supporters that followed their club from mid 60's through to their premiership drought of 1990, saw lots of wobbler Grand Finals where they did not win one.

As for Cats, it was not as long standing but they got the Kittyjitters between 1989 and 1995, four failed grand final attempts in seven seasons is going to cop a lot of ridicule. Essendon had a less famous one called Eliminitis where they failed in a lot of Elimination Finals in a row before getting beyond one in 1983.

Last edited:
Back