FTA-TV First Dates - Part 5 - Back to the Repeats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

c1 are you still going to the protest tomorrow?

Vic Police might cancel the protest so re-consider your plans
Did you really think I was serious? I haven't been out of my house for 88 days. I might venture out next week to get a flu shot and go to an ATM. I'd have to take an Uber which I'm not keen on. My cardiologist still wants me to remain inside until we see how the easing of restrictions goes.

I was looking up teachers' strikes in Victoria in connection with tomorrow's protest and found an article on the ABC site which mentions a fellow American teacher who came out with me in 1975, Bill Wiglesworth. I was billeted in the same teachers hostel with him after our arrival. I mainly remember him because he was posted to Mirboo North and we, who had been posted to Melbourne suburbs, made jokes about teaching kangaroos and such in the outback. What a coincidence. He went back to the US but returned here just like me, but for different reasons.

I didn't realise that Australia imported so many American teachers back then. You're not as much of a novelty as I thought C1
We had seven of us at my first school. We were a novelty at the time. I think most of us went back to the states after our initial contracts had ended. The government had posted us to many schools that Australian teachers didn't want to teach at in many cases. That's why so many of us were sent to the western suburbs and country Victoria. Our school only had up to Form Four when I started. Many of the parents didn't speak English. It was tough being only 23 and 10000 miles from home, but eventually I loved being here. I left my western suburbs school because at the time I had zero chance of teaching HSC there and was told that it would take possibly three years to transfer to another school. I quit after a little over three years and accepted a position at a Catholic school in the eastern suburbs. I was once again a novelty. LOL

Do you know Brian Goorjian?
LOL No, but I was an Eastside Spectres and a SE Melbourne Magic fan when he was coach, but that's because I got hooked by the Perth Wildcats when I lived there and became an Eastside supporter when I moved back to Melbourne. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Wildcats. Oh yeah, I still hate the Melbourne Tigers even though I don't follow the NBL or even the NBA any more. I was forced to coach basketball at three of the schools I taught at because I was American. Luckiy it was at Years 7/8 levels only. I used to get the Year 10/11 students to help me. LOL Good times. I never taught at a school that had competitive baseball/softball, though I always grabbed the chance to supervise them at Sport. I did the cartilage in my left knee umpiring a Year 7 softball Sport game in 1982. My only sport injury ever. LOL

Yes, forced! Discrimination. Bigotry. I was judged by my place of birth, not by my character and certainly not skill nor knowledge! At least I never got stuck doing cricket. I do remember back just a few weeks after my arrival I was scheduled to supervise a Form 1 cricket match during Sport. I had no idea what to do. I was told by another teacher where to stand and just raise my index finger once in a while to signal out. It worked.

I once umpired a game of footy there - staff/students as a goal umpire. I apparently made a wrong decision and called a point instead of a goal for the teachers' side and we lost. I was not spoken to by my fellow staff members after the game. Bloody Yank! More good times.

I just watched the funeral online from Romsey of a former colleague I taught with 20 years ago. I think I might change my plans and have my funeral virtual only. I'll just have to plan the time for convenience for my family in Illinois and California so it will probably have to be at 10am here so it can be at 7pm in Illinois and 5pm in California the previous day. I hope 10am is not too early for you to watch. Even in death, I try to be thoughtful. :)

Going to get them to zoom in real close so that anyone watching online can't see that nobody is there in person? 😛
That's not very nice.

However, I did mention on another website that I post at: "It got me thinking that I will change my plans and have a virtual only funeral. That will save me the embarrassment of no one physically showing up here for it."

So you're not that smart after all, smartarse! :p (Of course someone on the other site mentioned that the Cubs usually schedule their home games at 7pm so I'd better choose a non-game day for my Chicago family otherwise... :huh:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's horrible so far. I loved our BB and have missed it. I really had been looking forward to this version. It's overly produced and the music is absolute s**t. At least our BB looked live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back