2nds First development Crows named

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just you. All club boards have a thread for their reserves side. It may not be your cup of tea, but I'm sure many people are interested in what is going on.

I don't think it's the thread he doesn't care about, it's the extra players we are listing.

I think it's interesting knowing how the team will be put together, it was after all a big portion of the discussion in the Sando Gets A Reserves thread.

I guess the stronger the team the better it is for developing other players? Plus winning culture and all that.

It might just be me, but I don't see why we should care?

They can't play for us, we don't get special access to listing them

What am I missing?

Well, for those of us who are interested in following the Crows team in the SANFL, I would like to know as much as possible about every player in that squad.
I understand your point, however, even though these players cant play for our AFL team, they will nevertheless represent our club with its team in the SANFL.

What it does mean is that we'll be watching these players closer than other clubs. We could choose to hide them if we think we have a gem, and we'll also see them when they're not playing SANFL footy.

Not much of an advantage, but a tiny one.

I just remember we had a mysterious player training/trialling with us in the lead up to the rookie draft and it turned out to be a current baller from Ballarat. I can't imagine he would have nominated for the national draft without the trial with us first

He nominated for the ND, but he literally played one game of footy in the lead-up to the draft. No other club was going to take him without having watched him play, so we could afford to wait for the rookie draft.

He did come and do some training with us during the period between the two drafts, but he nominated for the ND like anyone else.

It might just be me, but I don't see why we should care?

They can't play for us, we don't get special access to listing them

What am I missing?

Im with you. These players will get smashed around because they aren't good enough for senior SANFL duty and even if playing well in a position, they will be dropped to the bench or moved into other positions because the crows want to run a listed player in that position. Their fitness will also be utter crapola and they will struggle to even run to the levels demanded for the zones structures. In other words don't get too excited. The other SANFL clubs haven't given us any hidden talent.

Im with you. These players will get smashed around because they aren't good enough for senior SANFL duty and even if playing well in a position, they will be dropped to the bench or moved into other positions because the crows want to run a listed player in that position. Their fitness will also be utter crapola and they will struggle to even run to the levels demanded for the zones structures. In other words don't get too excited. The other SANFL clubs haven't given us any hidden talent.
Really? Where's the sense of theatre? Davis - Neale , former AIS junior who has fallen through the cracks and no one knows why . Gets a crazy unexpected chance, shows something so we manage him carefully (hide him). Slides through the ND and we rookie him.

What a story that would be!!! ;)

Wouldn't we get first access to any of these kids ala Freeman for Brisbane, like a bidding situation ?? Otherwise I too agree, doesn't seem too important although it would be a feather in those guys caps.

Realistically only a few will be playing at the beginning of the season so getting them up to speed and run into their legs should be achievable for when the injuries start to bite.

All the other clubs who now have reserves sides are in the same boat re drafting so don't see it as such as problem. Who knows if we can unearth some talent well and good all other clubs are doing the same thing with their ressies as well they can't poach everyone. Didn't with Laird and Hartigan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sammy T is a great prospect (and a mate of mine, played in a flag with him)

Played sacred heart seconds (cause he wanted to due to mates)

played A grade club level and did real well in 2012

2014 hit gym for first time and put on KGS (first year at a SANFL club, started as a U18 over ager, i wouldn't of been surprised if he was never seen by an AFL scout prior to this year)
played around 50/50 U18s and reserves, was about to play league then got injured for the year

has had some injurie niggle issues, reads play really well and takes a great leap

can do bursts into the middle
played on smalls and talls for south this year
im jelly that you guys have him

Very likely however what if a hidden gem does produce through our system? Lets say one of the "talented youngsters" realise this is their last chance and copy their crows counterparts in their pre-season training.. we may pick up a unknown that could become great/decent after a strict regime...

We can hide them by not selecting them to play as in our SANFL side as often, and letting them continue to play in whatever other league they play in.

Sure, but firstly those other leagues are going to be scouted as well. Plus we will want to see how they perform against better competition.

By definition these guys will have question marks, we'll need no less answers than anyone else.

Plus by the time we're satisfied enough to hide them, they'll have played enough SANFL games to not be under radar

Just don't see it

Although I agree that it would be difficult to completely hide players, realistically we are probably only going to have perhaps 5 top up players playing in any given game. So the exposure of the majority of them is going to be very limited. What we will get to see is their training up close, and their desire to succeed. Granted this is not going to be a huge advantage, but it may provide us with enough information (that other clubs won't have) to offer them a rookie contract. After all, isn't training form more important than game form? ;)

For the likes of Davis - Neale who have previously nominated for the draft, I believe they could nominate for the PSD only where they are less likely to be picked up by other clubs.

Very likely however what if a hidden gem does produce through our system? Lets say one of the "talented youngsters" realise this is their last chance and copy their crows counterparts in their pre-season training.. we may pick up a unknown that could become great/decent after a strict regime...

We don't have a system. They are borrowed. They aren't ours for development they are purely extras. The SANFL have given us talent they can spare. Pure and simple. They aren't doing any extra fitness work and they are only training two nights a week away from the crows listed players. The only time they will see the crows players is the odd skills session and probably one night a week during the season. so there is no way they can even attempt to run high intensity zone football which the coaching group demands for AFL selection and this means that the crows listed players will be minimal rotations and 90% game time. That's the purpose of this exercise, developing our own listed players quickly!

In a way you are also right, a potential player might be discovered. However I highly doubt they would be rookied until the crows see them play a full season of SANFL level footy first with their respective SANFL side.

Sure, but firstly those other leagues are going to be scouted as well. Plus we will want to see how they perform against better competition.

By definition these guys will have question marks, we'll need no less answers than anyone else.

Plus by the time we're satisfied enough to hide them, they'll have played enough SANFL games to not be under radar

Just don't see it

Opposition scouts watch training. A few AFL teams SA based scouts are probably already watching the released reserve players out of interest. By the time we get to try and hide a player at Yankalilla c grade Collingwoods scout probably has already bought a season ticket to watch their remaining games. For this exact reason the Crows will not put a cent into these players developments other then basic two nights a week training. All these players will be doing is trying to get senior games at their SANFL clubs the following year.

If any of these players show that much they would be recalled to their SANFL club anyway. We might get to know a player which makes us favour them more than others but that could influence us in a negative way as well.

I do wonder how training will work. Will they be given programs away from the club from us? Will they train with their SANFL senior team rather than their original reserves team since they will be playing for us.

For the likes of Davis - Neale who have previously nominated for the draft, I believe they could nominate for the PSD only where they are less likely to be picked up by other clubs.

Hopefully this finally puts this falsity to bed:

If I did not nominate for the NAB AFL Draft in November, can I then nominate for the NAB AFL
Pre-Season Draft?

No, because part of the eligibility criteria for the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft is that a player must have been eligible for, but not selected at, the NAB AFL Draft. The only exception is a player who has been delisted from the Primary List by an AFL Club, who can stipulate if their nomination form is to be held over for the Pre-Season Draft

http://www.nabafldraftnom.com.au/images/AFL Draft Booklet 2013.pdf

It's just you. All club boards have a thread for their reserves side. It may not be your cup of tea, but I'm sure many people are interested in what is going on.

I'm interested in our reserves team to the extent that our AFL listed players play in it. I could not care less about the guys who make up the numbers.

I'm interested in our reserves team to the extent that our AFL listed players play in it. I could not care less about the guys who make up the numbers.

While I understand your position, there are a number of kids that get drafted/rookied by their parent clubs' when played for the VFL affliate.

Hawks were able to see the benefits that Mitchell brought while at Box Hill; plenty of Collingwood VFL kids end up at the Pies & Geelong's VFL team had given a few to them (like Pods).

If there's a 10% greater chance that these kids end up with us, then it's worth knowing about them.

Anyone really believe that Darcy Bailey was a cast-off pickup from Glenelg?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back