2nds First development Crows named

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have much interest in the specifics of the players, and don't see myself getting overly excited if one of them is going well in our team or something. But at this stage I have an interest in the set up of our team and how it will all work. The original Reserves thread had tons of similar discussions.

It will be interesting to see if the team gets any sort of actual following it. I will consider it my SANFL team and follow it more than I ever followed the team I previously "supported", but I have grown up knowing the Crows as my team. But all of that will still only be because I want the players coming into the AFL side to have the best possible environment to develop in. I truely only see it as a seconds/reserves/training tool for the AFL team.

While I understand your position, there are a number of kids that get drafted/rookied by their parent clubs' when played for the VFL affliate.

Hawks were able to see the benefits that Mitchell brought while at Box Hill; plenty of Collingwood VFL kids end up at the Pies & Geelong's VFL team had given a few to them (like Pods).

If there's a 10% greater chance that these kids end up with us, then it's worth knowing about them.

Anyone really believe that Darcy Bailey was a cast-off pickup from Glenelg?

These teams have more of a traditional VFL club set up and the players aren't borrowed from other clubs. There is less then 1% chance we will find a decent kid to rookie under the set up we agreed too. If you want a set up like Ports academy style which is far superior, if your goal is finding hidden gems, then ask the crows to set up a traditional club with a SANFL reserves team and junior grades.

The players are cast offs. they aren't their to win AFL rookie spots they are there to keep their SANFL dream alive.

While I understand your position, there are a number of kids that get drafted/rookied by their parent clubs' when played for the VFL affliate.

Hawks were able to see the benefits that Mitchell brought while at Box Hill; plenty of Collingwood VFL kids end up at the Pies & Geelong's VFL team had given a few to them (like Pods).

If there's a 10% greater chance that these kids end up with us, then it's worth knowing about them.

Anyone really believe that Darcy Bailey was a cast-off pickup from Glenelg?

The difference is that those players were top-quality VFL players, who hadn't got an opportunity at AFL level and obviously impressed the parent AFL clubs.

Our guys are a mish-mash of country, amateur and SANFL reserves players.

Happy to be proven wrong, but I say nobody whose first involvement with the club is as an SANFL top-up player plays an AFL game for the Crows this decade.

On a completely different note, have we gone cold on that potential F/S kid from South? Kappler? Isn't he exactly the sort of player we should be looking at for our SANFL side if we were interested in picking him up?

These teams have more of a traditional VFL club set up and the players aren't borrowed from other clubs. There is less then 1% chance we will find a decent kid to rookie under the set up we agreed too. If you want a set up like Ports academy style which is far superior, if your goal is finding hidden gems, then ask the crows to set up a traditional club with a SANFL reserves team and junior grades.

The players are cast offs. they aren't their to win AFL rookie spots they are there to keep their SANFL dream alive.

Obviously I don't understand the "Port Academy", because it doesn't sound very different. A bunch of 18-22 year olds playing SANFL reserves? These guys are the League side top-ups.

Port lose their junior set up from 2015. (or that's how I interpret "restructed")

Obviously I don't understand the "Port Academy", because it doesn't sound very different. A bunch of 18-22 year olds playing SANFL reserves? These guys are the League side top-ups.

Port lose their junior set up from 2015. (or that's how I interpret "restructed")

This is how I see it, Port are just managing their top up players closer to keep their traditional supporters quiet. Even if they find one failed 18-22 year old player every 3 - 5 years who happens to make it to their AFL list its hardly worth the effort and the money spent could probably be better spent in recruiting. They've just stuck the big fancy word academy on every possible recruitment pathway to keep the supporters impressed.

Yeah true, but theirs is still a better set up for finding talent then what we set up. I understand that some people are excited and are keen to see how the top up players go and I apologise straight up if I seem rude in my replies. I just know that we will have whole threads on this site smashing the club from pillar to post smashing any top up players that aren't up to scratch, especially if we consistently lose. I am just trying to lower everyone's already lofty expectations of some of these players to a level to which they actually deserve. In fact we should have a moderator ban on any negative conversations against these players, they aren't professionals and are not on our list.

This is how I see it, Port are just managing their top up players closer to keep their traditional supporters quiet. Even if they find one failed 18-22 year old player every 3 - 5 years who happens to make it to their AFL list its hardly worth the effort and the money spent could probably be better spent in recruiting. They've just stuck the big fancy word academy on every possible recruitment pathway to keep the supporters impressed.

They have the benefit of the magpies supporter base which will still purchase SANFL tickets to go and watch Port games and Port Magpie paraphernalia. Their system will find more gems then ours and have better quality top up players in their side however clubs can still raid them come draft day.

Yeah true, but theirs is still a better set up for finding talent then what we set up. I understand that some people are excited and are keen to see how the top up players go and I apologise straight up if I seem rude in my replies. I just know that we will have whole threads on this site smashing the club from pillar to post smashing any top up players that aren't up to scratch, especially if we consistently lose. I am just trying to lower everyone's already lofty expectations of some of these players to a level to which they actually deserve. In fact we should have a moderator ban on any negative conversations against these players, they aren't professionals and are not on our list.

I'm not saying people have to be excited. It's just nice to be aware of the players playing for the extension of our club, and there's always a slight chance a kid turns out.

I wonder, are clubs looking at (for example) Sam De L, and thinking "We can't get him into our 1st's because of depth, so let's see if he does much at the Crows SANFL team".

I agree with you about the negativity towards them in season.

They have the benefit of the magpies supporter base which will still purchase SANFL tickets to go and watch Port games and Port Magpie paraphernalia. Their system will find more gems then ours and have better quality top up players in their side however clubs can still raid them come draft day.

How is their system any different though?

The first 15-20 spots in their SANFL side will be AFL listed players. The remainder (for 2014 at least) will be former SANFL Magpies seniors (it seems), who they already know about from the 2013 season. But they are losing those guys (2nd & 3rd in B&F have gone - dunno who else).... so it will be the lower ranked SANFL players. Yes, they will be better than some of the Ammo's/Country kids, but not some unknown gem (since they will mostly all come from their existing set-up).

Lots of Magpies "fans" are against the set-up.

I'm not saying people have to be excited. It's just nice to be aware of the players playing for the extension of our club, and there's always a slight chance a kid turns out.

I wonder, are clubs looking at (for example) Sam De L, and thinking "We can't get him into our 1st's because of depth, so let's see if he does much at the Crows SANFL team".

I agree with you about the negativity towards them in season.

No doubt SANFL teams will be watching their player performances when they play for us to see if they are performing well at SANFL standard. If we have a top up player that has a standout game one or two AFL clubs including us might sit up.

The scary thing is if we have a 15 player injury season and we have a side with only 5 AFL listed players on it we could seriously cop an SANFL record flogging.

How is their system any different though?

The first 15-20 spots in their SANFL side will be AFL listed players. The remainder (for 2014 at least) will be former SANFL Magpies seniors (it seems), who they already know about from the 2013 season. But they are losing those guys (2nd & 3rd in B&F have gone - dunno who else).... so it will be the lower ranked SANFL players. Yes, they will be better than some of the Ammo's/Country kids, but not some unknown gem (since they will mostly all come from their existing set-up).

Lots of Magpies "fans" are against the set-up.

wow, I didn't say it was perfect, I just said it was better then ours for finding talent. They aren't relying on 3rd party hand me downs to fill the team.

Yep agree with that, I think I'm already looking at it from the point that our systems not set up to find those players. We will do that in other ways, and our ability to find the late draft pick has been pretty good. The more you spend on recruiting the less hit and miss it should become.

Agree that people shouldn't be looking for these players to impress or there be any expectations on them. If the top up system finds zero unlisted players worthy of AFL, but develops our AFL players better than the previous arrangement I will see it as a big success. If any of those players ever makes it at another AFL team our AFL side still improves.

At this point my only interest is how we are putting together the team, not so much what we can get from these individuals just because it is important our SANFL team isn't completely useless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt SANFL teams will be watching their player performances when they play for us to see if they are performing well at SANFL standard. If we have a top up player that has a standout game one or two AFL clubs including us might sit up.

No doubt they'll watch them. But my question related to why players are being sent to us... is it because they definitely aren't good enough, or because their original club has too much talent ahead of them, and this is a chance to see them (therefore, not cast-offs).

It will be a mixture of both, for mine.

No doubt they'll watch them. But my question related to why players are being sent to us... is it because they definitely aren't good enough, or because their original club has too much talent ahead of them, and this is a chance to see them (therefore, not cast-offs).

It will be a mixture of both, for mine.

I truly think the crows would have stated they didn't want cast offs but fringe players that are struggling for game time. I would be surprised if SANFL clubs were that stupidly narrow minded to send players they had no interest in, instead of taking a good opportunity to expose some talent. Some SANFL clubs no doubt sent players they don't want while others took the smart approach. Will be very interesting.

wow, I didn't say it was perfect, I just said it was better then ours for finding talent. They aren't relying on 3rd party hand me downs to fill the team.

You said it was "far superior".

Port are relying on their current SANFL crop. If they were any good, they'll already know about them.

While it's a long stretch, some players want to play country footy while they are young, then move to an SANFL club around 21-22, and then go on from there. Pretty sure this was Tony Modra's pathway. And didn't Bernie join WWT late?

So, some 19/20 year old kid from the country isn't automatically some chump.

You said it was "far superior".

Port are relying on their current SANFL crop. If they were any good, they'll already know about them.

While it's a long stretch, some players want to play country footy while they are young, then move to an SANFL club around 21-22, and then go on from there. Pretty sure this was Tony Modra's pathway. And didn't Bernie join WWT late?

So, some 19/20 year old kid from the country isn't automatically some chump.

I am happy for you to hate on ports set up, couldn't care less. Still better then ours.

If any of these players show that much they would be recalled to their SANFL club anyway. We might get to know a player which makes us favour them more than others but that could influence us in a negative way as well.

I do wonder how training will work. Will they be given programs away from the club from us? Will they train with their SANFL senior team rather than their original reserves team since they will be playing for us.
Not all of these guys are playing SANFL. Most of them are from country or amateur leagues.

I'm interested in our reserves team to the extent that our AFL listed players play in it. I could not care less about the guys who make up the numbers.
Well that's your prerogative, but some gems have come from these top up players in the VFL affiliate sides that teams like Geelong, Collingwood etc have. I also think it's a great opportunity for guys to play some SANFL league footy, who otherwise may have never got the chance.

Not all of these guys are playing SANFL. Most of them are from country or amateur leagues.

Yeah I should of used the quoting feature better. I think I was mainly referring to the SANFL reserves level players and their ability to play at a decent level.

I don't know about others but I'm just as excited to watch this team as I am to watch the 1st play.

I'm looking forward to it. I think the reserves team will be more i don't know if popular is the right word but of interest than people expect. Being able to see all of our non-AFL players at once and compare them to each other directly will lead to a fair bit of discussion.

At the moment hearing one player got 35 touches playing for their SANFL team while another got 18 playing out of position in another team doesn't really tell us much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back