2nds First development Crows named

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I really don't think it's better. It's just different. We can cast a broader net with top ups. I see that as a distinct positive.

Once the initial Magpies players are turned over and the juniors are shut down aren't they essentially just left with the same as we've got, plus an additional team of players 18 - 22 who haven't made it. Lesser players than the 15 top ups their reserves team has got. Each who only get $100 a game, and nobody eligible that we couldn't put in our reserves team.

Where do their 15 top up players play if they aren't required in the SANFL team, as the acadamy team is just 18 - 22 years old.

Like us anyone good enough will be part of the SANFL reserves side and I see little point wasting resources on a team of $100 dollar players.

I think they just packaged it up like that to smooth the transition for Magpies supporters, and sell another "win" to the Power supporters who are all up and about after their down period and wouldn't question anything they are told by their new leaders.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am happy for you to hate on ports set up, couldn't care less. Still better then ours.

Is it better than ours due to the ability to win the SANFL premiership, as this is the only reason it is better than ours if that eventuates, who knows! And not actually worried if the crows do win an SANFL premiership it means nothing and will even be a bit embarrasing with the fact we have so many more resources than all the SANFL clubs. Its not an even playing field, its like The Australian cricket team playing The Dutch cricket team, they take nothing out of the win.

The negatives are it will cost a whole lot more than ours, would we rather throw those $ be thrown at more coaches, facilities whatever!

With the ability to develop players that are not listed AFL players for the betterment of the team, is something it is not. As these players all go into the draft for every team in the AFL to have the ability to draft depending on their draft pick selection. Players simply cannot be hidden and the fact both the Crows and Power have a development team, if I was a AFL recruiter from an opposition club, I would be doing my homework on these teams first before anything else, knowing that half the work in identifying this talent has been done with these unlisted players they are trying to develop.

I believe the crows are treating it as it was designed, as a development team, The Power had the same in mind but were trying to keep their traditional supporters happy. Did they succeed time will tell if their team will have the ability to seriously contend for an SANFL premiership, I couldnt even predict how these development teams will perform. But you could guarantee if they dominate the rules will be changed without doubt by the SANFL clubs.

Apr 14, 2012
Los Santos
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Nick Diaz, Exers
We don't have a system. They are borrowed. They aren't ours for development they are purely extras. The SANFL have given us talent they can spare. Pure and simple. They aren't doing any extra fitness work and they are only training two nights a week away from the crows listed players. The only time they will see the crows players is the odd skills session and probably one night a week during the season. so there is no way they can even attempt to run high intensity zone football which the coaching group demands for AFL selection and this means that the crows listed players will be minimal rotations and 90% game time. That's the purpose of this exercise, developing our own listed players quickly!

In a way you are also right, a potential player might be discovered. However I highly doubt they would be rookied until the crows see them play a full season of SANFL level footy first with their respective SANFL side.

Haven't we picked up youngish players around the ages of 19-23 that seemed to have a bright.future but.dropped.off for certain reasons? Wont they be training with our main group? who knows what could happen.. yes its.a.long shot and i dont know anything about the players but whos to say they couldnt be the next.duigan/pods/barlow??

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Haven't we picked up youngish players around the ages of 19-23 that seemed to have a bright.future but.dropped.off for certain reasons? Wont they be training with our main group? who knows what could happen.. yes its.a.long shot and i dont know anything about the players but whos to say they couldnt be the next.duigan/pods/barlow??

No! they are training at night like other SANFL teams. Remember these players aren't full time and its actually against AFL rules to have unlisted players training with the AFL squads. The reality is the crows top up players will train by themselves on Tuesday night and on Thursday will train with the listed players released for SANFL duty. Unlike the dreams of a few they wont be training with Dangerfield, Sloane etc will not be learning what it takes to make it at AFL it will be purely training to make sure they are one of the three to four players selected each week to be a top up. Callinan is the key player they employed to be captain so he can set the standard of what these players need to expect each week.

True we might find a diamond to rookie but I have my doubts. It really isn't the goal of the team to develop these top up players its to develop our listed AFL players. Plus the top up players will be bench warmers regardless of how well they are playing.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
I truly think the crows would have stated they didn't want cast offs but fringe players that are struggling for game time. I would be surprised if SANFL clubs were that stupidly narrow minded to send players they had no interest in, instead of taking a good opportunity to expose some talent. Some SANFL clubs no doubt sent players they don't want while others took the smart approach. Will be very interesting.

Yeah, Im sure Westies "didn't want" their U18 captain.... you idiot :rolleyes:

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, Im sure Westies "didn't want" their U18 captain.... you idiot :rolleyes:

If you disagree with what I wrote all well and good, I don't know why either because you obviously didn't read it!!!!, but to call me an idiot at the end of it for no reason other then you disagree with my post is totally unnecessary and rude.

Back