parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Should the Cats finish on top (which seems a formality now), who would you rather play in the first final? The two likely options being the Swans and Collingwood...

A Geelong v Collingwood Qualifying Final would be huge given the recent history between the two sides. Remembering that the Pies knocked off Brisbane in the first final in their premiership year of 2003 (to the Lions credit they still won the flag).

How is it a formality when they haven't played WBD or the Haws yet? I think Geelong will finish first, but I reckon they'll be far more focused on wining their next two matches rather then treating first pace as a fait accompli.

Should the Cats finish on top (which seems a formality now), who would you rather play in the first final? The two likely options being the Swans and Collingwood...

A Geelong v Collingwood Qualifying Final would be huge given the recent history between the two sides. Remembering that the Pies knocked off Brisbane in the first final in their premiership year of 2003 (to the Lions credit they still won the flag).

I'd love to front the Pies first up; it'd be a magnificent start on a Saturday arvo, 90000 screaming fans, great advert for the AFL:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Honestly who cares. It doesn't matter who you face in the first week of the finals or any week for that matter because you still have to be good enough to win it. Looking at the form so far any side in the top 4 will be tough. But we are good enough on our day.

Honestly who cares. It doesn't matter who you face in the first week of the finals or any week for that matter because you still have to be good enough to win it. Looking at the form so far any side in the top 4 will be tough. But we are good enough on our day.

Spot on. No point thinking too much about it.

Besides, picking who will finish where in the 8 is virtually impossible except for the top 3...

Re: First final? (the type of game we usually lose)

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too early to even think about this... Having said that I'd rather the toughest perceivable game for us first-up - as it stands at the moment that would be Collingwood.

Should the Cats finish on top (which seems a formality now)

Ridiculous statement, seriously have a careful look at the ladder below 1st place if you can handle it. In 2 weeks time we could be 6 points below 1st and holding onto 2nd by dwindling percentage.

I'd like to think its a formality we finish top 4 and that is the clubs aim for now and the next couple of years.

As for who to play when in the finals, I'd rather play Collingwood either in the first week or the last week, not in any elimination phase (damn bogey team). Right now not fussed about playing anyone else.

Probably Sydney but you'd have to wait and see how we handle the next two weeks. There is not much use preferring to play anyone. They are all going to be extremely tough and more than capable of beating us.

I'd rather finish 2nd or 3rd so if we win the QF we can have the Saturday arvo PF instead of the Friday night PF.

It'd be the Sat night, not arvo. The Prelims are always night games. Well lately anyways, so I presume it'd be the same this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This could be one year where it doesn't make a scrap of difference if you finish 1st or fourth.
There will be a game at the MCG and one at the Telstra Dome, the maggies will play at the MCG no matter who they play or where they finish up. I'm not sure who will finish first and I don't think it matters. One thing for sure though is that the finals will be far different than the H&A games.

after analysis of the last round this year (which is always a factor in deciding WHEN you play your first final) i think the following would make most sense

v SYD (Telstra Dome, Saturday or Sunday Afternoon)
v COLL (MCG, Friday night or Saturday Night)
v HAW (MCG, Saturday Afternoon or Saturday Night)
v WB (MCG, Saturday Afternoon or Saturday Night)
v ADEL/BRIS (Telstra Dome, Saturday or Sunday Afternoon)

If StKilda make finals the chance of another Sunday final is slim to non as they play on Sunday in R22. They are the only Sunday playing team likely to play finals this year.

We play on Saturday afternoon aty home and Collingwood play on Friday night. I am certain the AFL slotted them a R22 Friday night fixture to increase their chances of getting them a Friday night final.

I just spitefully hope Collingwood finish 5th and play StKilda (8th) and are forced to schedule it on a Sunday to give StKilda a fair break.

Having said all this, ill now say lets not get too far ahead of ourselves and enjoy the next two potentially cracking contests

Remove this Banner Ad

Back