Movie First Man

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw this, this morning. Completely different to any space movie I've seen before. Evenly, if somewhat slowly paced. Really zeroed in on Armstrong (naturally enough considering the title and subject mater)

With all the sacrifices from test pilots and astronauts and their families over the journey of the space program culminating in the moon landing, I came away thinking that of all the people involved over all the years, Armstrong in the end, who had been a test pilot himself and had known a lot of the fallen and their families seemed to have truly understood the gravity of all they were doing and what it had cost and thought very deeply about it.

I loved the opening sequence from the perspective of the cockpit and throughout the movie from the capsule. Different.

I read no reviews or synopsis before seeing this. It wasn't what I was expecting, I really enjoyed it and will watch again.

Last edited:

Is it worth the torture of sitting in a contemporary cinema?

Are contemporary cinemas a torture?

In my last cinema experience, I uncrossed my legs and accidentally kicked the (empty) seat in front of me. Three seats across in front, this old bloke turned around and shouted “IF YOU KICK THE SEAT ONE MORE TIME I’M GOING TO COME BACK THERE AND THUMP YOU!” First time I’ve ever been reprimanded in a cinema, and the closest I’ve ever come to a punch on with an octogenarian.

This story has nothing to do with this film, which was terrific, aside the tenuous link that the guy was probably a similar age to what Neil Armstrong would be if he was still kicking (pun not intended).

A very slow movie, and the last 20 minutes are a let down, but I think the movie is worth seeing. This is the first movie i remember that makes you feel uneasy about space fight. It makes you question whether you would be willing to get in the ship and risk your life.

Consider this

The Space Shuttle Challenger’s capsule, the strongest part of the shuttle, survived that initial explosion and there was reason to believe that some of the crew were alive (manual operations were evident after the explosion) and the impact of hitting the water was what killed them

Terrifying

In my last cinema experience, I uncrossed my legs and accidentally kicked the (empty) seat in front of me. Three seats across in front, this old bloke turned around and shouted “IF YOU KICK THE SEAT ONE MORE TIME I’M GOING TO COME BACK THERE AND THUMP YOU!” First time I’ve ever been reprimanded in a cinema, and the closest I’ve ever come to a punch on with an octogenarian.

This story has nothing to do with this film, which was terrific, aside the tenuous link that the guy was probably a similar age to what Neil Armstrong would be if he was still kicking (pun not intended).

I saw it in Leongatha at 9:20am, Sunday morning. I was the only one in there. :D:thumbsu:

It’s a rainy day DVD

Go and get ‘The Right Stuff’ instead

Already seen The Right Stuff numerous times. It's currently on the Virgin Australia play list on their planes, might me a good choice for the Perth / Melbourne hop, they're roughly the same length in time.

Anyway, time to give something else a run.

A very slow movie, and the last 20 minutes are a let down, but I think the movie is worth seeing. This is the first movie i remember that makes you feel uneasy about space fight. It makes you question whether you would be willing to get in the ship and risk your life.

Speaking of The Right Stuff from other posts. I always like this quote from it.

Chuck Yeager : Monkeys? Think a monkey knows he's sitting on top of a rocket that might explode? These astronaut boys, they know that, see? Well, I'll tell you somethin' - it takes a special kind of man to volunteer for a suicide mission, especially one that's on TV. Ol' Gus, he did alright.

Thought it was overall a pretty amazing movie. It's about Neil Armstrong, not Apollo 11, so there are a lot of quite slow domestic scenes. That being said, the space stuff is done perfectly and the final 30 minutes is as good as it gets.

If you are not a fan of space exploration and just space in general I don't know if you would like this movie

I rather enjoyed it in the fact there was a lot of back story on Neil i just didn't know and as mentioned by Moonwatcher, it does make you think about the dangers of space exploration and what astronauts go through to get to the point to travel into space.

The amount of work that went into landing on the moon is crazy and back in the 60's no less, absolutely incredible

Eh, didn't enjoy this one. Felt like it didn't know whether it wanted to be about Armstrong or the mission, so ended up being a boring mix of the two, neither side giving us that much to think about. Was more like a bunch of well made dot points than anything of great worth.

Bad cinema experiences are at plague proportions. Not just blockbusters where you almost expect idiots to talk when the explosions aren't happening, but 'serious' movies too because somebody has had a glass of wine. And shitloads at any movie think getting the phone out is acceptable.

First Man sounds worth a download.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was ok. Some good scenes and some boring. Too much shaky-cam. Ryan Gosling played Ryan Gosling perfectly as usual. I wasn't particularly interested in the Housewives of Cape Kennedy.

6/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back