First North guernsey - who’s number did you have on your back?

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
90C7A675-0B8C-4C2C-A3E8-C61C098BDC28.jpeg

I have my first child due at the start of December.
A little girl!

Next season she’ll be sporting a little North Melbourne guernsey at some stage. For the first one/couple I’ll have to make the decision for her as to what number goes on the back.

Just wondering - firstly, what was the number on the back of your first North guernsey & secondly if you’ve had to make a similar decision to the one I will soon be faced with, who did you chose for your kids & why? I’d love to hear some shockers too. Eg. a number 44 for Liam Anthony.

I’ve only ever had 18 until I grew out of having numbers on the back.

For the little one I’m thinking a little 50 on the back of her first one. Not because he’s my favourite player (he’s one of them) but he’s just such a good bloke & seems to have so much time for the kids.
Ziebs, LDU, Cunners & Ahern all also on my radar.
I have thought about going with the number of the date was born just for something different.

Congrats on your forthcoming arrival!

I've never had a number on my back of a North jumper but my new arrival (a baby girl too) will be getting 50 as her first as Brownie signed her jumper the day I bought it at the roo shop.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Can you be too old to get a number on the back of your jersey?
I’ve just turned 47 a couple of weeks ago and for my birthday I got a home jersey with the number 50.

The first number I got was 7, Peter Sterling on the back of a Parramatta jersey when I was 15. I grew up in a League household and didn’t get a NMFC jersey with a number until 1999, when I got 4.

Congrats on your up coming little miracle. Daughters are wonderful, especially when they are little. They can be pains when they are teenagers though. :)

discodaddy

All Australian
Jun 13, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There are no others
View attachment 559887

I have my first child due at the start of December.
A little girl!

Next season she’ll be sporting a little North Melbourne guernsey at some stage. For the first one/couple I’ll have to make the decision for her as to what number goes on the back.

Just wondering - firstly, what was the number on the back of your first North guernsey & secondly if you’ve had to make a similar decision to the one I will soon be faced with, who did you chose for your kids & why? I’d love to hear some shockers too. Eg. a number 44 for Liam Anthony.

For the little one I’m thinking a little 50 on the back of her first one. Not because he’s my favourite player (he’s one of them) but he’s just such a good bloke & seems to have so much time for the kids.
Ziebs, LDU, Cunners & Ahern all also on my radar.
I have thought about going with the number of the date was born just for something different.

Good thread, and congrats. #15/Malcolm Blight for me.

I still remember the horror of my mum washing the jumper with some red garments. The colours ran and I ended up with a blue and pink-striped jumper. After many washes she managed to get the pink stripes back to white, but the white number panel on the back remained forever pink.

Kids got #4/Mick Martin.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Congratulations!

My first jumper number was 28 - gift for my 28th birthday in 1991.
Second jumper number was 35 - for love of Longmire and for being 35 years old at the 99 GF (also a 35 point win).

So yeah, I'm ok with a number that's meaningful in life rather than a particular player.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Derby County FC
Congratulations brother, that’s fantastic!!

#18 signed to me specifically wishing me a happy bday, and still hanging on the wall

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deddy

Sheezel Lover
Mar 4, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Australian Boomers
10. Stevo.

Was beyond obsessed. According to Mum at a family day or something similar in the early 2000’s young Deddy was waiting patiently for an autograph from another player (Mum was unsure who it was probably some fringe player) and just as said player had bent down to sign my jumper Stevo walked into the room and I sprinted over to him to get his autograph.

Gave everyone in the room a good laugh, including the fringe player apparently. Who called me back over to sign my jumper once I was done fawning over Stevo. Fan girl/10.

3. Jim Krakouer
35 Longmire
26 Peter Bell (still dirty on him when I see him on TV, leaving North to go back to Freo who had cut him)

Haven't had a number since mainly cause Mum's dont sew them onto this new fabric like they did the old ones.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All the best mark. I hope it goes well!

10. Stevens. Loved him. Loved boomer too. My parents would pay $10 at the start of the Auskick season to reserve number 10 for me to play in during the season. A new kick came in a few weeks in and grabbed it but I ripped it off of him and let him know.

Also had 29. Couldn't play in 29 as that was for the fat kids. I tried once in under 10s but it hung down to my knees. Had to tuck it in but it would drop lower than my footy shorts.

Had '33' once but my mum stuffed up the iron on. She put the first '3' too far across the back so for a few weeks I had to run around as the only kid wearing an Anthony rock jumper. Made her buy a '1' because I loved Corey. I still got teased by teammates but I didn't care as North dominated the 90s

Congrats Mark.

I actually never put a number on my boys jumper until he was old enough to decide. He got number 28 when he was 4 years old as I bought him down to training one night and he got to go 8nto the rooms and see the players and Byron Pickett won him over when he called him over and sat with him for 5 minutes chatting with him. He kept 28 until he was traded.

For me, it was number 23. David Dench was everything I like in a footballer; tough, quick, aggressive and attacking. Still love him :footy:

JD-Roo

Premiership Player
May 31, 2007
Kilmore-East
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Congrats mate!!

Didn’t have a number on my jumper for awhile and then decided on Snake Baker’s 29. Mum couldn’t get it but she got me a vinyl 15 for Blight but said I didn’t have to put it on if I didn’t want to.

I didn’t mainly because the vinyl square looked crap.

Many, MANY moons later I watched a young Schwass single-handedly destroy Essendon out at Princes Park and had sewn a No2 on myself (quite well too if I may say so myself) by the next round.

That jumper retired when Schwass went to Sydney.

Haven’t worn a number since.

Back