First North guernsey - who’s number did you have on your back?

Remove this Banner Ad

10. Stevo.

Was beyond obsessed. According to Mum at a family day or something similar in the early 2000’s young Deddy was waiting patiently for an autograph from another player (Mum was unsure who it was probably some fringe player) and just as said player had bent down to sign my jumper Stevo walked into the room and I sprinted over to him to get his autograph.

Gave everyone in the room a good laugh, including the fringe player apparently. Who called me back over to sign my jumper once I was done fawning over Stevo. Fan girl/10.
Did a similar thing to spider burton. He was in auto pilot mode signing kids stuff and he nearly signed my jumper. I moved out the way and said it was for Stevens.

Peter Mann tried that s**t with me once too while he was at the dockers. He asked if I wanted him to sign my north cap. I told him he wishes. Dad told me after that he wasn't lying and that he actually did.

View attachment 559887

I have my first child due at the start of December.
A little girl!

Next season she’ll be sporting a little North Melbourne guernsey at some stage. For the first one/couple I’ll have to make the decision for her as to what number goes on the back.

Just wondering - firstly, what was the number on the back of your first North guernsey & secondly if you’ve had to make a similar decision to the one I will soon be faced with, who did you chose for your kids & why? I’d love to hear some shockers too. Eg. a number 44 for Liam Anthony.

I’ve only ever had 18 until I grew out of having numbers on the back.

For the little one I’m thinking a little 50 on the back of her first one. Not because he’s my favourite player (he’s one of them) but he’s just such a good bloke & seems to have so much time for the kids.
Ziebs, LDU, Cunners & Ahern all also on my radar.
I have thought about going with the number of the date was born just for something different.

Congrats mate. As others have said, daughters are bloody awesome (and challenging, but in a good way).

That certainly makes a mockery of the brewer's droop theory, with you being half tanked 24/7.

The first number I had on a jumper was #15, the great man Malcolm Blight, and I had Schimma's #20 on the back of the duffel coat.

Congrats, mlb! I’m another one of the Malcolm Blight 15 club.

#1 son got 23 during the offseason it all went to s**t for Harps. He’s on to his next jumper and still hasn’t seen 23 grace the field for NMFC since that day. I have since got Nathan Thompson, David Dench & Ben McKay to sign it so not a complete loss.

#2 son's favourite was Robbie Nahas. He still needs me to remind him that 28 is Kayne Turner now.

I like the idea of not getting her an obvious number. Go with 44 and tell her it’s because Cable wore it in the '75 GF.

View attachment 559887

I have my first child due at the start of December.
A little girl!

Next season she’ll be sporting a little North Melbourne guernsey at some stage. For the first one/couple I’ll have to make the decision for her as to what number goes on the back.

Just wondering - firstly, what was the number on the back of your first North guernsey & secondly if you’ve had to make a similar decision to the one I will soon be faced with, who did you chose for your kids & why? I’d love to hear some shockers too. Eg. a number 44 for Liam Anthony.

I’ve only ever had 18 until I grew out of having numbers on the back.

For the little one I’m thinking a little 50 on the back of her first one. Not because he’s my favourite player (he’s one of them) but he’s just such a good bloke & seems to have so much time for the kids.
Ziebs, LDU, Cunners & Ahern all also on my radar.
I have thought about going with the number of the date was born just for something different.
Congrats, you won’t look back mate.

Marklovesbeerbutstayshomechangingnappies

Can you be too old to get a number on the back of your jersey?
I’ve just turned 47 a couple of weeks ago and for my birthday I got a home jersey with the number 50.

The first number I got was 7, Peter Sterling on the back of a Parramatta jersey when I was 15. I grew up in a League household and didn’t get a NMFC jersey with a number until 1999, when I got 4.

Congrats on your up coming little miracle. Daughters are wonderful, especially when they are little. They can be pains when they are teenagers though. :)

Those Parramatta teams of the 80s were great (Sterlo, Kenny, Cronin, Price, Grothe). Can't say the same about the current Eels side!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those Parramatta teams of the 80s were great (Sterlo, Kenny, Cronin, Price, Grothe). Can't say the same about the current Eels side!
Parramatta have been the Richmond of the NRL, 30+ years of failure and poor management, I sleeping giant and a bit of a laughing stock.
I'm hoping in the next season or two we end up more like the current Richmond FC, dominant and capable of winning premierships. I don't think it's going to happen, but then again I didn't see Richmond's rise happening either.
The Eels Team of 1982 is one of the greatest teams of all time, six players (IIRC) toured England as part of the Invincibles, Ella, Grothe, Kenny, Muggleton, Price and Sterling. Cronin would have gone as well but he was injured or retired from rep football.

Last edited:
#18 Carey like most others around my age

Went with nothing for a while after that until settling on the one and only #5 B Jacobs

4 Ross Glendinning

I had Rossco's #4 on my Budget training top circa 1982-4.

Same vintage was also wearing the no. 27.
Even as a kid got dad to buy the ankle bands he use to wear

The Keithy ankle and wrist taped look was a must back then. I used to get mum to buy white tape so I could tape the ankles up above my North socks, and to tape up the wrists. Legend!

3. Jim Krakouer
2. Wayne Schwass
34. David King.... yeah, come at me!

I always liked that in 93 there was a surge of 41 on kids jumpers, and by 95 there was a lot of Mick Martyn ones with the 4 sewn on to the very left of the panel.

Congrats! Parenthood is a pleasure (once you get over all the broken sleeping nights etc.). I'd go for a future star like LDU so #9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back