First North guernsey - who’s number did you have on your back?

Remove this Banner Ad

The first one I had was a hand knitted affair my nana put together, as was the norm back then.

Pretty sure I had Schimmas 20 on the first proper jumper I ever had.

had 15 Blighty on the jumper and 23 Denchie on the duffle coat. was kept warm by one of the best forwards and one of the best defenders in V/AFL history!
My lovely 7 y.o daughter doesn't have a number but I did get her Boomer's 427 game jumper when they came out, so 427!

I've got hold of a few player patches and old school badges over the years and I am thinking of putting together a 70's style duffel coat for next year.

I've got hold of a few player patches and old school badges over the years and I am thinking of putting together a 70's style duffel coat for next year.
Do it Snake! I wish I had kept my duffle coat, it had other badges and patches (the north one eyed one i can still remember).
Some were quite ornate, some a bit gaudy, but almost all were awesome!
Definitely do it. And welcome back - haven't seen you around for a while

Do it Snake! I wish I had kept my duffle coat, it had other badges and patches (the north one eyed one i can still remember).
Some were quite ornate, some a bit gaudy, but almost all were awesome!
Definitely do it. And welcome back - haven't seen you around for a while

I think I might mate. I've just about got enough stuff together. Whaddya reckon?

Attachments

• IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    362.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0164.JPG
    IMG_0164.JPG
    351.9 KB · Views: 82
3. Jim Krakouer
35 Longmire
26 Peter Bell (still dirty on him when I see him on TV, leaving North to go back to Freo who had cut him)

Haven't had a number since mainly cause Mum's dont sew them onto this new fabric like they did the old ones.

You can't be dirty on Peter Bell after what the club did to him. He never wanted to leave. The club (Greg Miller) s**t on him.

Mine was Martin Pike's #13... one of the early Hewlett Packard ones, bought from a sports store next to Vic Markets. Still have it somewhere.

My first actual jumper was a woolen Crows one, and for some reason I got Matthew Kluzek's #31 on the back of it. I was a weird kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't be dirty on Peter Bell after what the club did to him. He never wanted to leave. The club (Greg Miller) s**t on him.

Ohh more info please, I was living in the UK at the time and didnt realise he just didnt take more cash from Freo. I always thought we saved him from the scrap heap, Freo didnt want him.... then to go back there when we had given him the opportunity to become a star. Annoyed me.

Ohh more info please, I was living in the UK at the time and didnt realise he just didnt take more cash from Freo. I always thought we saved him from the scrap heap, Freo didnt want him.... then to go back there when we had given him the opportunity to become a star. Annoyed me.

My understanding of it is that Peter Bell went into the 2000 season without a contract. He was simply asking that the club give him a contract on the same very modest money but just with some employment security. He wanted to take out a home loan so he and his Perth-born girlfriend (who would become his wife) could set down some roots and establish themselves. No bank would give him a mortgage without an employment contract. The club told him to wait until the end of the season. Remember that he starred in the 1999 grand final, he was 24 years old, and he actually won the Syd Barker that season (2000). The club refused to negotiate and meanwhile, his girlfriend's father became very ill and she rushed home to be at his bedside. West Coast and Fremantle both became aware of his situation and they waved massive contracts in his face. He refused them and went back to North and pleaded with them to simply give him a contract so he could get a mortgage. He felt he owed North for saving his career as you mentioned. The offers from West Coast and Freo kept escalating, and then at the end of the season, he and his family decided that enough was enough and he accepted the Freo deal. Only at that point did the club decide to start negotiating. They offered to match the Freo deal. They could have secured Bell for less than half that amount if they'd only agreed to be fair. I'm not sure, but I think Bell's girlfriend's father may have died. By that stage, the go-home factor was well in play for both of them, and Bell was well and truly over the feeling that he needed to be loyal to an organisation that had disrespected him all year. He signed the Freo deal and Greg Miller sent out a letter to all members suggesting that Bell was a mercenary.

Last edited:
Gary Dempsey’s 24. Granddad was devastated that I’d ditched his beloved Carlton, but still entered me in the competition to win a jumper in Inside Footy every week. Got home from school one day to find a parcel addressed to me, and the glorious vertical stripes inside with a note of Congratulations from Inside Football. Absolute legend that man.

Mum ironed numbers on to a pillowcase and sewed it on the back. I fricken loved that jumper.

My understanding of it is that Peter Bell went into the 2000 season without a contract. He was simply asking that the club give him a contract on the same very modest money but just with some employment security. He wanted to take out a home loan so he and his Perth-born girlfriend (who would become his wife) could set down some roots and establish themselves. No bank would give him a mortgage without an employment contract. The club told him to wait until the end of the season. Remember that he starred in the 1999 grand final, he was 24 years old, and he actually won the Syd Barker that season (2000). The club refused to negotiate and meanwhile, his girlfriend's father became very ill and she rushed home to be at his bedside. West Coast and Fremantle both became aware of his situation and they waved massive contracts in his face. He refused them and went back to North and pleaded with them to simply give him a contract so he could get a mortgage. He felt he owed North for saving his career as you mentioned. The offers from West Coast and Freo kept escalating, and then at the end of the season, he and his family decided that enough was enough and he accepted the Freo deal. Only at that point did the club decide to start negotiating. He offered to match the Freo deal. He could have secured Bell for less than half that amount if he'd only agreed to be fair. I'm not sure, but I think Bell's girlfriend's father may have died. By that stage, the go-home factor was well in play for both of them, and Bell was well and truly over the feeling that he needed to be loyal to an organisation that had disrespected him all year. He signed the Freo deal and Greg Miller sent out a letter to all members suggesting that Bell was a mercenary.
I had no idea about this, thanks for sharing it.

Congrats, mlb! I’m another one of the Malcolm Blight 15 club.

#1 son got 23 during the offseason it all went to s**t for Harps. He’s on to his next jumper and still hasn’t seen 23 grace the field for NMFC since that day. I have since got Nathan Thompson, David Dench & Ben McKay to sign it so not a complete loss.

#2 son's favourite was Robbie Nahas. He still needs me to remind him that 28 is Kayne Turner now.

I like the idea of not getting her an obvious number. Go with 44 and tell her it’s because Cable wore it in the '75 GF.

Not quite on topic, but I have a side story for you Rob. In 7th grade I was showing off my great collection of NM footy cards. I pointed out to my mates that I had two Mick Nolan cards - as per your avatar. One of the crew grabbed my spare Nolan and disappeared around the corner of the demountable classroom. He returned about a minute later with my footy card suspended around the groin region. He had cut a hole in the card where Mick’s face was, and through that hole he had put his nob. ‘Twas quite a sight...

Number 10- Stevo. He signed it for me too at a practice match. My next jumper had number 11 and it's been 11 ever since!

Not quite on topic, but I have a side story for you Rob. In 7th grade I was showing off my great collection of NM footy cards. I pointed out to my mates that I had two Mick Nolan cards - as per your avatar. One of the crew grabbed my spare Nolan and disappeared around the corner of the demountable classroom. He returned about a minute later with my footy card suspended around the groin region. He had cut a hole in the card where Mick’s face was, and through that hole he had put his nob. ‘Twas quite a sight...
Boy’s school?!

My first jumper number was #23 - Jack Stanlake. He could’ve been anything.

Best I’ve seen since then is some legend with an “infinity symbol” as his number. I asked him “WTF man?”. He just gave me a vacant grin Andre the Giant style. I soon got it.

The first one I had was a hand knitted affair my nana put together, as was the norm back then.

Pretty sure I had Schimmas 20 on the first proper jumper I ever had.

Was it hot and itchy in the early part of Autumn/Spring?

Welcome back fwiw. Who did u pi$$ off this time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back