First North guernsey - who’s number did you have on your back?

Remove this Banner Ad

My understanding of it is that Peter Bell went into the 2000 season without a contract. He was simply asking that the club give him a contract on the same very modest money but just with some employment security. He wanted to take out a home loan so he and his Perth-born girlfriend (who would become his wife) could set down some roots and establish themselves. No bank would give him a mortgage without an employment contract. The club told him to wait until the end of the season. Remember that he starred in the 1999 grand final, he was 24 years old, and he actually won the Syd Barker that season (2000). The club refused to negotiate and meanwhile, his girlfriend's father became very ill and she rushed home to be at his bedside. West Coast and Fremantle both became aware of his situation and they waved massive contracts in his face. He refused them and went back to North and pleaded with them to simply give him a contract so he could get a mortgage. He felt he owed North for saving his career as you mentioned. The offers from West Coast and Freo kept escalating, and then at the end of the season, he and his family decided that enough was enough and he accepted the Freo deal. Only at that point did the club decide to start negotiating. They offered to match the Freo deal. They could have secured Bell for less than half that amount if they'd only agreed to be fair. I'm not sure, but I think Bell's girlfriend's father may have died. By that stage, the go-home factor was well in play for both of them, and Bell was well and truly over the feeling that he needed to be loyal to an organisation that had disrespected him all year. He signed the Freo deal and Greg Miller sent out a letter to all members suggesting that Bell was a mercenary.

Like a few others I had no idea about that.

*en idiot.

EDIT: Just to be clear this is referring to Miller not anyone else...

I had the 8 for Phil too. It was an iron on which I did myself and it cocked up a bit and wasn’t completely flat, kind of stuck to itself.

After a while I tried to rip it off to do it again but parts were stuck and never going to budge so there were just odd black bits left. I never bothered with numbers on subsequent jumpers, don’t know why.

I think I did that with a No 8 jumper too.:oops::drunk:

Just caught up with a mate & he gave me this, so looks like it’s been decided.

F7368092-BCAF-4264-98E3-01B9A5F0B28E.jpeg
E4037CC3-4C7B-445B-87E8-C802CED92949.jpeg

My mate is a new North member.
Is from Newcastle, NSW so only follows league & A-league but loves sport & beers so when we met he said he wanted an AFL team to follow. Bought a membership that week & has been coming to every game with me the past 2 years.

My little mate just got his 1st jumper number on the weekend. Thought he'd might have gone with his big mate Majak, ummed a bit over the #10, coz that rhymes with Ben and Stevo used to wear it. Went with the smooth movin' #4 and wears it so much I have had to get another one for him! Funny kid :-D
42611648_310123696438457_8922024216400756736_n.jpg

#26 Sav Rocca. For some reason the number was written with permanent marker...

Wore it to school on 'footy day', surrounded by Collingwood and * jumpers embarrassed until I got a whistle from a teacher that barracked for North. He gave me the thumbs up which I smiled and returned.

Remember that day vividly because I then knew I wasn't alone as a North supporter at a school full of 'big' club supporters.

#26 Sav Rocca. For some reason the number was written with permanent marker...

Wore it to school on 'footy day', surrounded by Collingwood and * jumpers embarrassed until I got a whistle from a teacher that barracked for North. He gave me the thumbs up which I smiled and returned.

Remember that day vividly because I then knew I wasn't alone as a North supporter at a school full of 'big' club supporters.
This is your Doctor Phil moment. I'm tearing up (sniff).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 559887

I have my first child due at the start of December.
A little girl!

Next season she’ll be sporting a little North Melbourne guernsey at some stage. For the first one/couple I’ll have to make the decision for her as to what number goes on the back.

Just wondering - firstly, what was the number on the back of your first North guernsey & secondly if you’ve had to make a similar decision to the one I will soon be faced with, who did you chose for your kids & why? I’d love to hear some shockers too. Eg. a number 44 for Liam Anthony.

I’ve only ever had 18 until I grew out of having numbers on the back.

For the little one I’m thinking a little 50 on the back of her first one. Not because he’s my favourite player (he’s one of them) but he’s just such a good bloke & seems to have so much time for the kids.
Ziebs, LDU, Cunners & Ahern all also on my radar.
I have thought about going with the number of the date was born just for something different.

In light of recent events & the love for Maj floating around right now, I feel it fitting that my first born will have a number 1 on her first little guernsey next season.

She was born just twenty four hours prior to the incident happening Monday night & along with all the love I’ve felt in my personal life this week, it has been beautiful coming on to BF to read everyone’s comments in the Majak thread.

Even though I said earlier in the season I was all set for North guernseys, I will inevitably purchase one (or both) of the new 2019 versions & will chuck a number 1 on one to wear at games as a sign of support for the big fella.

No.4, 1984, Ross Glendinning long sleeve to Vickick every Saturday morning - Strathmore North, “Essendon v the rest!” Also had 3 for Rocky and then 10 for Stevo in the 90’s. My son now wears 7 for his team, loves Jack!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back