Preview First Preliminary Final – Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Saturday 21st September 2019, MCG, 4.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Still blown away by the amount of support we had last night, and the sight that greeted me at the pre-match function. And I won’t forget that moment of victory either. You live for that sort of thing.

How on earth did we manage to win? Look at the stats. We lost the kicks, inside 50s, free kicks, hit outs, clearances, stoppages, contested possessions and marks by huge margins.

But we did win a few critical areas – tackles, tackles inside 50, “one percenters” (Phil Davis take a bow), as well as turnovers and intercept possessions. In other words, all the really tough grunt work, the kind that wins finals. It worked against the Dogs and now it’s worked against the Lions. But we’ll need to continue this sort of hardened work ethic against Collingwood.

Team selection will be interesting. The line-up for the eight-goal victory in Round 18 included Mumford, Simpson and Keeffe, but I’m not sure if Simpson and Keeffe will return. Mumford might be gone, cooked, whatever you want to call it, and he gives away a lot of frees, but we do tend to win when he plays. He’s like some kind of keystone species.

Himmelberg had a very quiet game by his lofty standards, as did Whitfield and Taranto. The chances of all three of them having another quiet game would be remote, and I think at least one of them will have a big game against Collingwood. Taranto and Whitfield in particular had huge games in Round 18.

We will have to wait and see what happens with Toby and Coniglio, and I hope common sense prevails at the tribunal. But the important thing is that the team is playing well. I don’t think that will change this weekend, regardless of who lines up.

As for Collingwood, it’s obvious they would have preferred to play Brisbane, which is really saying something considering our abysmal track record at the MCG. Memories of Round 18 and the comprehensive way we outplayed them still linger.

We’re sore and tired, but adrenaline is a wonder drug that heals like no other. We’re also match-hardened, and while the Magpies are fresh, they’ve also only played one game of football in a month. I think we’ve had some pretty good preparation.

I’m heading down the highway for this one and can’t wait for this particular pre-match function and yet another march, which will probably be the best ever. And as this is a very winnable game, it will probably be our biggest win ever.

Until the following week, that is.;)

Go Giants!

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Another outstanding preview LoTG. Can't wait for this game - it will be tough no doubt, but a good test for the boys. If they're hungry enough, they'll find a way (as they did on Saturday night). I'm booked with my son for Melbourne - a reprise of the PF 2 years ago (funnily enough, against the Lions we sat with 2 guys we'd sat with for that PF against the Tiges). Hopefully it's not 99,000 to 1000 this year!

Team selection will be interesting. We won't want to change, but we do need to put out a team that can win. Question mark on Toby, consideration of Mummy & Tommo's positions, and Cogs a possibility. If Cogs plays, that would be another massive boost for the side, but he would need to be 100% fit.

Team selection will be interesting. The line-up for the eight-goal victory in Round 18 included Mumford, Simpson and Keeffe, but I’m not sure if Simpson and Keeffe will return. Mumford might be gone, cooked, whatever you want to call it, and he gives away a lot of frees, but we do tend to win when he plays. He’s like some kind of keystone species.

Mumford could definitely be a wolf.

Can't see Keeffe coming back with no Cox and a fully fit defensive lineup.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Still blown away by the amount of support we had last night, and the sight that greeted me at the pre-match function. And I won’t forget that moment of victory either. You live for that sort of thing.

How on earth did we manage to win? Look at the stats. We lost the kicks, inside 50s, free kicks, hit outs, clearances, stoppages, contested possessions and marks by huge margins.

But we did win a few critical areas – tackles, tackles inside 50, “one percenters” (Phil Davis take a bow), as well as turnovers and intercept possessions. In other words, all the really tough grunt work, the kind that wins finals. It worked against the Dogs and now it’s worked against the Lions. But we’ll need to continue this sort of hardened work ethic against Collingwood.

Himmelberg had a very quiet game by his lofty standards, as did Whitfield and Taranto. The chances of all three of them having another quiet game would be remote, and I think at least one of them will have a big game against Collingwood. Taranto and Whitfield in particular had huge games in Round 18.

We will have to wait and see what happens with Toby and Coniglio, and I hope common sense prevails at the tribunal. But the important thing is that the team is playing well. I don’t think that will change this weekend, regardless of who lines up.

As for Collingwood, it’s obvious they would have preferred to play Brisbane, which is really saying something considering our abysmal track record at the MCG. Memories of Round 18 and the comprehensive way we outplayed them still linger.

We’re sore and tired, but adrenaline is a wonder drug that heals like no other. We’re also match-hardened, and while the Magpies are fresh, they’ve also only played one game of football in a month. I think we’ve had some pretty good preparation.

I’m heading down the highway for this one and can’t wait for this particular pre-match function and yet another march, which will probably be the best ever. And as this is a very winnable game, it will probably be our biggest win ever.

Until the following week, that is.;)

Go Giants!
The giants fans noise was pretty amazing to be fair. Loved it

Great effort

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
other positive is that collingwood is likely to go head to head with our midfield group rather than have defensive elements (tags) like brisbane did.

Means LW will likely run free up and down wings and it will be US through Deboer and Reid who will apply tags.

Personally i think Deboer needs to go to Treloar... I know pendles is a great but i think the mantle has passed on. Even so, their whole midfield group is great and we will need accountability all round.

I genuinely think we are better than them at both ends of the ground... our backline is elite- particularly for intercept marks. Our forward line looks way mroe potent then theirs.

I think the crowd will be a huge factor. It is a big game and the crowd will mostly be pies supporters. If they are up and about like last year's prelim then the momentum that generates will be hard to stop.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
The Tommo question, keep him/ drop him?
When not 2nd ruck, could you play him forward to tag Jeremy Howe? Did he do enough v Lions. TV vision wasn't great, but he looked largely ineffective.

The Toby question, if he goes , who replaces him?
I'd pick the un-tried, un-tested Ian Hill. Bobby has unpredictability and could be a different kind of match-up Collingwood haven't thought through.

The tagging question, Pendles, Sidebottom. Treloar?
Let DeBoar decide.

The Tommo question, keep him/ drop him?
When not 2nd ruck, could you play him forward to tag Jeremy Howe? Did he do enough v Lions. TV vision wasn't great, but he looked largely ineffective.
Could see Simpson playing for Tomlinson, against Grundy think we need to play 2 rucks
The Toby question, if he goes , who replaces him?
I'd pick the un-tried, un-tested Ian Hill. Bobby has unpredictability and could be a different kind of match-up Collingwood haven't thought through.
Cogs if 100% if not Hill
The tagging question, Pendles, Sidebottom. Treloar?
Let DeBoar decide.
I wouldn't rule out tagging Adams either

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
They are predicting rain on Sat (And that can change obviously) but im starting to think mummy will be a liability

Will be even more clumsy in those conditions.

Mumford deserves a flag with this club, but probably safer for him to come In for a GF instead if we got there.

IMO none of our Rucks beat Grundy anyway.

In the 2013 GF hawthorn decided they were not going to beat Sandi I'm the ruck so they didn't bother. They tagged him and and then played to his taps.

Maybe we do the same

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Love watching GWS play and I hope you guys make the grand final!

What’s the likelihood of Coniglio playing?
Thanks, nice to get some positive feedback from a neutral supporter. Maybe we're a love/ hate team? It's validating I guess.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
They are predicting rain on Sat (And that can change obviously) but im starting to think mummy will be a liability

Will be even more clumsy in those conditions.

Mumford deserves a flag with this club, but probably safer for him to come In for a GF instead if we got there.

IMO none of our Rucks beat Grundy anyway.

In the 2013 GF hawthorn decided they were not going to beat Sandi I'm the ruck so they didn't bother. They tagged him and and then played to his taps.

Maybe we do the same

I tend to think the opposite. Rain is a big leveler as it dimishes grundys effect around the ground. A tight inside game helps mummy as it plays more to his strength

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

Giants can best Collingwood in Melbourne.

Have a look at how GWS beat Collingwood just in terms of ways to out match the Pies in terms of exploiting weakness they have.

GWS are starting to understand finals footy versus witches hats footy.

To win finals defence is key and shape very important apart form how you move the ball on under increased pressure

GWS need to back their forwards in more because remember they should have a marking advantage over the pies.

GWS need to go longer from the backline more often even if it comes back and back their defensive set-up rather than go shortish and turn balls over causing goals.

Remember GWS have Cameron, Finlayson, Himma and Tomlinson to present from high half forward. Use that from the backline and don't lose GWS defensive shape too often with short plays and running plays. Taylor was good towards the end just putting it on the boot kicking long and if it cam back backing in his defence showing confidence in his teammates

Whitfield is an interesting one. He looked sore and was weakening and yet he found something in the last quarter with his endurance base. This is something to keep in mind in terms of match ups and methods of play. Maybe Whitfield can go from high half forward,Toby in the guts and Whitfield creating there from his endurance base with defence kicking long from the backline to play a percentage game where GWS energy is conserved so a full game can be played out.

Holding the ball for too long in the contest can be a killer in finals pressure intensity. I remember Hopper going laterally in the forward line towards the end eventually taking a kick where really he could have acknowledged the pressure earlier and just put the ball on the foot and back the forwards in even with a chaos ball!! Its like Kelly holding on to the ball too long, handball gets turned over GWS lose match versus the bombers in Melbourne. Remember winning finals that are intense is a marathon, not a sprint, its important to play smart and efficient including not wasting your energy in transition. This includes not wasting energy for the most ideal outlet all the time which gets compressed with an opposition tackle or smother or other pressure act because the mids did not believe in the forwards and/or the defence to repeal a quick rebound up the field. To win the game, every game its goals/behinds scored versus goals/behinds against and territory becomes relevant like scoring pressure when there are battles everywhere within the war of the game.

Kelly was good at the end to. His strength is important from the xtra miles in his legs as is his precision to exploit oppositions defences. Kicking to penetrate the opposition wherever possible is key.

The ruck is an interesting one, don't like the free kicks and I liked Himma, Finalyson and Tomlinson in the ruck at times. With Mummy do not like the free kicks, really worried me as a real weakness, is Okeefe a left field substitute in the ruck??

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
You can't rest players in the hope of making a GF, you pick your best team every week in Sept. Mumford is our best ruck, he plays. We beat their midfield we will win.

Is Mumford your best ruck??

Not so sure.

Not sure its about resting players versus matchups.

Mumford versus Grundy is interesting. Whats the form??

You would think Grundy would match Mumford for strength and power and simply out run him in the other department getting possessions with superior energy. Are the Giants better off putting in Okeefe if he can run with Grundy and rely on the mids to rove to Grundy a little bit which might be necessary with Mumford anyway.

Not sure, no expert but to me Mumford is relying on pushing to much as an indication he's pushing it to compete.

I do not mind the concept of a team orientated matchup of Okeefe, Himma, Tomlinson and Finlayson against Grundy where it gives the others guys time in the game, causes matchup issues from rotations to the Pies, point of difference and takes the weight of one guy over reaching in Mumford who might be past his tether.

Like a six man defense versus six on six I think Okeefe, Himma, Tomlinson, Finlayson is a more combative matchup up with mobility and endurance as well as versatility that can make the Giants more formidable. I am not sold Mumford is the answer at this level now given where he is at. I actually rate Okeefe as a under rated player but the trouble is how to utilise him in the matchups as you do not want to be too top heavy and immobile. Maybe for mobility reasons and general all ground competitiveness Giants are better off putting Okeefe in for Mumford. Might be seen as hard but I would do it to help the Giants win. Sometimes you just have to go for it to get the win!!

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Is Mumford your best ruck??

Not so sure.

Not sure its about resting players versus matchups.

Mumford versus Grundy is interesting. Whats the form??

You would think Grundy would match Mumford for strength and power and simply out run him in the other department getting possessions with superior energy. Are the Giants better off putting in Okeefe if he can run with Grundy and rely on the mids to rove to Grundy a little bit which might be necessary with Mumford anyway.

Not sure, no expert but to me Mumford is relying on pushing to much as an indication he's pushing it to compete.

I do not mind the concept of a team orientated matchup of Okeefe, Himma, Tomlinson and Finlayson against Grundy where it gives the others guys time in the game, causes matchup issues from rotations to the Pies, point of difference and takes the weight of one guy over reaching in Mumford who might be past his tether.

Like a six man defense versus six on six I think Okeefe, Himma, Tomlinson, Finlayson is a more combative matchup up with mobility and endurance as well as versatility that can make the Giants more formidable. I am not sold Mumford is the answer at this level now given where he is at. I actually rate Okeefe as a under rated player but the trouble is how to utilise him in the matchups as you do not want to be too top heavy and immobile. Maybe for mobility reasons and general all ground competitiveness Giants are better off putting Okeefe in for Mumford. Might be seen as hard but I would do it to help the Giants win. Sometimes you just have to go for it to get the win!!
If it’s raining like it is supposed to the fact Grundy is so skillful around the ground won’t be a factor

Play those part timers like you say and Grundy will just grab it out of the ruck every ball up

Don’t get me wrong, I’m frustrated too but now isn’t the time for rash risk taking

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
If it’s raining like it is supposed to the fact Grundy is so skillful around the ground won’t be a factor

Play those part timers like you say and Grundy will just grab it out of the ruck every ball up

Don’t get me wrong, I’m frustrated too but now isn’t the time for rash risk taking

To me its not about rash risk taking.

Its about belief in the players and knowing your strengths and weaknesses. Its about knowing who you are and playing as a team together with heart.

The Giants have a lot of bigs.

Some like to talk up backs Williams, Davis, Shaw and Haynes but I think the bigger differences lately have been Corr in particular, Taylor, Kennedy and Perryman. Playing as a unit is more important than six individuals.

On the other hand the Giants, have Himma, Cameron and Finlayson as well as Tomlinson. All great to handy but arguably a little top heavy reducing run. Take Mumford out it counter balances that. Furthermore, Grundy is a very good player, it could be argued Mumford can block that. The trouble is Mumford could only halve some of that because he can't run with him and can't continue with the second efforts especially if Grundy is amped up as there one wood. When Mumford ties, which will happen, GWS can really get in trouble especially with free kicks against so why risk that? I think bring Okeefe in who provides size, run and height along with the others that can be rotated for a surprise attack pearl harbour style for a hit and run effort against the Pies like Perl Harbour. I would say I believe in you Okeefe, you are young enough, this is your time and we are going to support you with Himma, Finlayson and Tomlinson and as a team GWS is going to take away the Pies one wood with heart and belief that we have the edge!!!
Okeefe came out of Collingwood so he will be motivated not that he needs motivating but this is a chance for him to stifle the new ruck where he came from with the support of his mates. I think he can do it, I think his GWS mates should believe he can do it with a support cast and together as a group that can be a imposing force as a rotational ruck unit around the ground in contests especially aerially supporting the Giants defense and attacking thrust while not giving away critical free kicks out of desperation!!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah the new footage the AFL has is not going to help Toby

Its not a good look for kids and I think two weeks in a row is just bad news for Toby

I think he clearly goes for the face :(

BS, there is that much doubt its the biggest long bow I have ever seen to suck Mcguires schlong!!

He has been charged without proof. If Toby lost the Giants should take them to court such is the travesty of justice!!

Its all alleged with no backing whatsoever!!

Sime11

Team Captain
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Big call but I think we can win without Toby - coniglio will soften the blow big time, but the Giants feel different this year, we aren’t cruising this year in the finals (it was tough against the doggies for 3 qtrs) we are battle hardened and know what’s expected.

We’ve played Richmond and the pies at the G in finals so we know what to expect with hostile crowds - just gotta play our best and shut the crowd up.

We are a genuine chance and I think Collingwood are underestimating us 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back