Review First Qualifying Final, Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Saturday 10th September, ANZ Stadium, 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Just hit rewind, play and pause about 50 times on the best angle (where Patfull obscures the point of impact)... Looks like Stevie raises and leads with the elbow, hits Kennedy in the chest with the elbow/forearm, possible shoulder to the head (can't really see from that angle), Kennedy hits the back of his head on the turf.

No idea what the result will be from that.
Well what you describe is the best possible scenario to be honest. Wont get 2 for that if they assess it the same way as you.

I can handle not having him for the prelim but not the GF if we make it. That would be disasterous

Well what you describe is the best possible scenario to be honest. Wont get 2 for that if they assess it the same way as you.

I can handle not having him for the prelim but not the GF if we make it. That would be disasterous
Obviously I'm biased, but I definitely can't see an elbow to the head. Maybe an incidental shoulder to the head, which if it's there is still a shoulder to the head. Wouldn't have a clue which way it will go but I'm confident it won't be 2.

Watching the replay on Fox Footy now, another angle shows Stevie J with eyes fixed on the footy until it's knocked away from the stoppage and he turns into Kennedy a lot quicker than it had seemed in other replays. Shoulder maybe, definitely not elbow. That enough analysis for one night haha

Poor game statistically for Jonny Patton, but on the replay he's looked better than the stats indicated in the first quarter and a half. Didn't get a lot of it but he's that big go-to target for the smaller guys to feed off.

Poor game statistically for Jonny Patton, but on the replay he's looked better than the stats indicated in the first quarter and a half. Didn't get a lot of it but he's that big go-to target for the smaller guys to feed off.

Yes obviously not a big game by him, but as he said the last two games prior, he is just playing his role. Grundy didn't take lots of marks, Patton created a contest, Cameron gets an undersized Rampe. All good :)

Gee I am happy for Tomlinson (and us). He seems to have finally got into that handsome head of his that he isn't a forward or a midfielder. Hopefully continues down the path of failed forward becomes gun back. He is looking more solid every week and I loved where he used his endurance to pass, run past two Swans to the wing to crate an overlap and then hit Cameron lace out.

Congrats on yesterday's win, I knew you'd be to fast, to talented and just to good for the swans. You've been my pick for the flag since half way through the season although disappointed I didn't jump on board when you were 9-1 a few weeks ago. Such an even season and any of the 6 teams left have a realistic chance at winning the flag however you are now in the box seat. Good luck for the rest of your campaign.

It is a s**t song lets be honest

Nah. Top four song in the AFL easily.

It's ok, you'll hear it a bunch of times in a couple of weeks to help it grow on you. ;)

I don't have fox footy so have seen precious little of your boys playing so I thought I had better pop in and say what a pleasure it was to watch their performance yesterday. Skilful, fast, brave, tough football, footy at its best. That they stood up to and then overpowered and dominated those prancing show pony entitled swans made it all the more fun.

Have to say it's an odd experience watching a team you have no entrenched feelings for, such as hate for Essendon, contempt for Collingwood, amusement for Richmond etc I kind of thought I would dislike the Giants because of the draft concessions and the academy etc but I really couldn't care less. I am just stoked to have another team playing great footy to watch, especially after enduring the Roos and Lyon assault on the game as a spectacle.

Anyway, I have a seven year old son who has quite smartly dumped the Blues and then the Tigers as his team and on my advice has picked up the Giants.

So there you go, you have my first born son. You had better win him a flag. Several in fact.

Good luck.

So just watched the replay. I didnt think the Johnson and Mummy incidents were that bad to be honest. But then that muppet that reports on incidents on Fox Footy said he guarentees that both will get suspended.

We need to discuss this. Can we imagine going into a PF or GF without stevie and mummy. We surelt would not bode well

I heard them say on 7 that Mummy will be ok because it was one motion but I would assume he'd still be in trouble because he pinned the arm.

Nick Haynes is a criminally underrated player

Not by us he's not.

But thanks for the post and the sentiment. Here's hoping you beat Adelaide and then Geelong to make it an all Sydney GF so the Mexican heads collectively explode.

Really need a tech-head to create a gif of that scene from Kingsman: Secret Service....

Edit: I'll just go with the video instead...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit late on commenting but yesterday will be embedded among my favourite footy memories.
Had 5th row seats at the GWS end and it was a fantastic atmosphere. Most people were unsure of how we would go so it was easier to just enjoy the contest. Near me we had a GWS supporter and a Swans supporter explaining the rules to a soccer guy coming to his first afl game. Lots of "wow, you don't get this at soccer" and "I didn't realise the afl was so fun to watch" comments. We gained at least one more supporter.

Down side was that Sydney Trains decided to do major trackwork on the south west line which doubled my transport time and no-doubt stopped a few thousand extra bums on seats.

Can't wait to get tickets for the first Spotless final!

So Tippett unfortunately has a fractured Jaw. Does that now effect how they look at the mumford sling tackle ? Got a bad feeling about tomkorows MRP :( could be disasterous
Now I know an alien hasn't taken over you're account. At least it's tomorrow and we dont have to sweat a week. Can only hope for the best, you've gotta play finals hard and there's a fine line.

So Tippett unfortunately has a fractured Jaw. Does that now effect how they look at the mumford sling tackle ? Got a bad feeling about tomkorows MRP :( could be disasterous
MRP would have to look at it unfavourably. The only thing that might save him is that Mummy was falling backwards as he tackled and he was trying to 'roll' instead. The impact looked heavy and the ANZ surface is weirdly, both slippery and hard. [insert d*ck joke here]
Stevie J we could probably cover with but Mummy has no like for like. Downie will be doing overtime ruck drills for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Will Tippett's injury affect an MRP outcome? Possibly - depends on when they think it occurred. He had a heavy clash in the first term before Mummy's tackle in the second. But if they think it occurred in Mummy's tackle, first question is whether they regard it as a sling tackle or rough conduct, but if so, then the outcome will certainly affect the ruling on 'impact' - would certainly bump it up from low.

Not much we can do about it, just wait and see. Whichever way it goes, people will be unhappy.

MRP would have to look at it unfavourably. The only thing that might save him is that Mummy was falling backwards as he tackled and he was trying to 'roll' instead. The impact looked heavy and the ANZ surface is weirdly, both slippery and hard. [insert d*ck joke here]
Stevie J we could probably cover with but Mummy has no like for like. Downie will be doing overtime ruck drills for a couple of weeks.
Only thing is mummy hit tippett twice. One was a crunching crush between he and Ward i think it was. That was the first time tippett went off. The second was the sling tackle.

How do they work out which incident it happened in ?

Also i hate fact the media keep crapping on about mummy saying he wanted to take someone out. He never said that !! He was responding with a chuckle to a reporters question

This is not negative i swrat, but we arnt winning a prelim or a GF without mummy :( its just a fact. Cross all fingers

Ok. The more I look at both the less problems I see. Stevie J didn't actually collect Kennedy high - it was Kennedy hitting his head on the ground as he fell backward that knocked him groggy. Can't see why Stevie should be held accountable for that. Yes, if you hit someone high and they're groggy you're in trouble, but he collected him across the chest and it was the ground what did the damage.

Tippet was having his jaw checked out in the rooms after the first incident, not after the Mummy sling. That first one was just where he got tangled with mummy and ward where there was absolutely nothing in it. So if he has done his jaw - it wasn't from the mummy "sling"

Gee I am happy for Tomlinson (and us). He seems to have finally got into that handsome head of his that he isn't a forward or a midfielder. Hopefully continues down the path of failed forward becomes gun back. He is looking more solid every week and I loved where he used his endurance to pass, run past two Swans to the wing to crate an overlap and then hit Cameron lace out.
This!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back