first test of the aussie summer 23/24

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
pretty straight forward with all things being equal and everyone fit and available

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith (vc)
Head
Marsh/Green
Carey
Starc
Cummins (c)
Lyon
Hazlewood

The real immediate question will be who gets the number 6 - the incumbent Marsh or long term option Green ?

Can Neser press hard and gain a spot from the boys club? Not much more Neser can do. Boland may be done at test level unless an injury to the big 3 presents an opportunity.

Can Warner hang on and sign off on his terms mid summer after the 3rd test? Khawaja may well be done after the summer which includes 2 tests in New Zealand and then a 10 month break, taking him up to his 38th birthday.

Bancroft, Harris, Renshaw are the frontrunners with Pucovski still on the radar and M.Short maybe an outside chance.
A few more shield rounds may just sort things out.
Hopefully whoever gets the nod, gets a decent run at it and gets backed in and delivers.

The real immediate question will be who gets the number 6 - the incumbent Marsh or long term option Green ?

Can Neser press hard and gain a spot from the boys club? Not much more Neser can do. Boland may be done at test level unless an injury to the big 3 presents an opportunity.

Can Warner hang on and sign off on his terms mid summer after the 3rd test? Khawaja may well be done after the summer which includes 2 tests in New Zealand and then a 10 month break, taking him up to his 38th birthday.

Bancroft, Harris, Renshaw are the frontrunners with Pucovski still on the radar and M.Short maybe an outside chance.
Hopefully whoever gets the nod, gets a decent run at it and gets backed in and delivers.
Marsh
Neser should make the squad, but won't make the XI
Selectors will back Warner's fairytale end.
I hope we've given up on Harris.

pretty straight forward with all things being equal and everyone fit and available

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith (vc)
Head
Marsh/Green
Carey
Starc
Cummins (c)
Lyon
Hazlewood

I can't see all of starc cummins hazelwood playing due to workload think Morris is a huge chance to make his test debut

If they want a bumper crowd for that 1st Test they need to get as many WA boys in as possible. We know the residents of Perth don't recognise a cricketer unless they've seen them in the orange of the Scorchies.

Maybe have a crowd vote to ask what number Cam Green should bat at and then slot everyone else around him.

If they want a bumper crowd for that 1st Test they need to get as many WA boys in as possible. We know the residents of Perth don't recognise a cricketer unless they've seen them in the orange of the Scorchies.

Maybe have a crowd vote to ask what number Cam Green should bat at and then slot everyone else around him.

WA + Marketing preferred team:

1. Bancroft
2. Khawaja
3. Smith
4. Green
5. Head
6. Marsh
7. Inglis
8. Hardie
9. Morris (is he fit yet?)
10. Cummins
11. Lyon

no quick is leapfrogging starc and hazlewood - at least not this summer (unless injury or resting at the back end of the summer)

those fringe players may get the chance the following summer.

Missed opportunity to give another opener a chance in the first test of this softish Summer schedule rather than provide Warner with his dream sendoff.

Missed opportunity to give another opener a chance in the first test of this softish Summer schedule rather than provide Warner with his dream sendoff.

yeah possibly - there are still opportunities and whoever gets it, they should be given the remaining 4 tests of the summer (2 v WI, 2 v NZ). I'm not convinced Usman will even play on after that, which will present another opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agha Salman bowls offies so I don't think they'll go in with 2 spinners + him so only one of Abrar or Noman plays. It's probably one of Wasim or Hamza playing as the 3rd seamer. Maybe at a stretch they'll play Ashraf as a bowling allrounder at 8 and 3rd seamer.

With Naseem Shah's injury and Haris Rauf's cowardice it makes their bowling extremely thin. Whoever plays as that 3rd seamer likely gets smashed and knowing Pakistan they will panic and try some crazy changes after the 1st Test.

The way their board is run is how I imagine Cricket Australia would be run if you left bigfooty in charge. Constant axings based off one result. The only way to improve is to sack everyone.

By my count they're on to their 5th chief selector in the last 11 months (Mohammad Wasim, Shahid Afridi, Haroon Rashid, Inzamam Ul-Haq and now Wahab Riaz).

I'm guessing Mohammad Abbas is on the never again list too. At least until the next drastic change in management so probably around Christmas.

Your captain averaging 29 after 30 tests must be super inspiring.
Shan Masood must have sucked up to or been a family friend to someone at the PCB as they tried to make him vice-captain of the ODI team earlier this year despite the fact he averages 18 in ODIs and Shahid Afridi - the selector at the time - didn't even want him in the squad. It's what caused Afridi to quit.

It was quite convenient that they were then able to announce Masood as the captain within hours of the "surprise" resignation of Babar.

As I said they're a basketcase at that level.

Reckon the 15 man squad for the Pakistan series will look very similar to this
  1. Cummins (C)
  2. Smith
  3. Head
  4. Marnus
  5. Warner
  6. Khawaja
  7. Starc
  8. Lyon
  9. Hazlweood
  10. Green
  11. Carey
  12. Boland
  13. Neser
  14. Marsh
  15. Renshaw/Harris

PM's XI v Pakistan

Bancroft
Harris
Renshaw
McSweeney
Green
Peirson
Webster
Neser
McAndrew
Steketee
Murphy

not sure who'll bat at 3 - with bancroft, harris, renshaw all auditioning for warner's spot later in the summer.

green gets a gig and trying to win his spot back.

PM's XI v Pakistan

Bancroft
Harris
Renshaw
McSweeney
Green
Peirson
Webster
Neser
McAndrew
Steketee
Murphy

not sure who'll bat at 3 - with bancroft, harris, renshaw all auditioning for warner's spot later in the summer.

Its more of an Australia A team than the Australia A teams they picked earlier in the year.

Definitely think CA have identified McSweeney as somewhat of a Marnus-lite but with added leadership qualities, although McSweeney at 24 now is better than Marnus at 24 was. Excellent temperament, solid no-fuss technique, great fielder, bowls reasonably well and from what I have seen of him when he was still in Qld, incredibly dedicated to training/improving his game. Seems like they are going to invest some resources in to him over the next couple years and imo it's an excellent decision to do so. He has a pretty high ceiling in my opinion and the extra opportunites will only be good for him.

PM's XI v Pakistan

Bancroft
Harris
Renshaw
McSweeney
Green
Peirson
Webster
Neser
McAndrew
Steketee
Murphy

Bancroft opens in both innings, Harris and Renshaw get 1 go at opener each?

A crack at Pakistans lineup for the first test and this is my guess. Not too sure of the other names in the squad really? Also it seems Sarfraz seems to have his place back over Rizwan currently.

1. Imam Ul-Haq
2. Abdullah Shafique
3. Shan Masood (c)
4. Babar Azam
5. Saud Shakeel
6. Mohammad Rizwan/Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
7. Faheem Ashraf
8. ?
9. Hasan Ali
10. ?
11. Shaheen Afridi

Remove this Banner Ad