First test of the aussie summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
After the poor showing in the test v sri lanka - it's best we put it behind us. For the upcoming India tour we may have to make some gutsy selection decisions eg. Maxwell etc.

For the time being though the first test team of the summer again picks itself (pending no injuries in the upcoming white ball games etc)

warner, khawaja, labuschagne, smith, head, green, carey, starc, cummins, lyon, hazlewood.

the only other players really pressing are boland, jhye and pucovski (if right)
m.marsh and inglis are only in the conversation as cover for green or carey if something happened to them.
swepson and agar will come into the conversation again for the India tour.
i'd like to see another solid shield season from hardie.

8 of the 11 are now on the wrong side of 30 and change is imminent.

warner is under pressure and on the cusp of playing his 100th test this summer. Does he go to India with a view of trying to get to the WTC final. And then there's the England tour.

i'm still not sold on head but the spot is still there to cement.

khawaja, well like warner is approaching the end and we are needing guys to put their hand up over the next 12 months.

i'm still not sold on head but the spot is still there to cement.

is our bowling quartet needing a change? i feel we should've won more games with them especially the last 2 home series v India.

What's happened to Scott Boland?
Not from NSW, Cummins Starc Hazelwood are the big 3 then Boland Richardson Neser are break in case of emergency

Yeah I think the side picks itself for the home summer.

Hoping we ho horses for Courses when we head to India though.

After the ashes and following home summer in 18 months I'm tipping we'll be seeing a few new faces.

Warner and Head will score runs v the WI, both will get worked over by Rabada and Jansen, yet those WI runs will be banked and secure their Mumbai flights.....would loved to be proved wrong, but can see this happening months in advance....

Totally agree a horses for courses strategy should apply for the India tour, though what experience do the likes of Hunt and Pucovski have on spinning tracks sadly?....Hunt a pair and 100 v Sri Lanka A spinners...Pucovski obviously is a talent, roll the dice is what is needed I guess....not sure the Aussie selectors will have the balls though...time will tell...

atleast McDonald is actually mentioning the deeds of those tours v Pakistan and Sri Lanka will be looked at when picking a touring squad to India

Good Post nut

The shield season is going to be huge for spots with India england tours after the summer.

I would give warner his 100th and then that's it....we need to start investing for the future now. Give him 4 tests he needs for his 100 and then bring in the new opener for the new years day test . If warner goes well....and I hope he does but I don't care 100 tests and that's it....tell him to concentrate on the short ball format only

We have seen his overseas form and its consistently....not that great

Australia's focus will now turn to the short ball format

Good Post nut

The shield season is going to be huge for spots with India england tours after the summer.

I would give warner his 100th and then that's it....we need to start investing for the future now. Give him 4 tests he needs for his 100 and then bring in the new opener for the new years day test . If warner goes well....and I hope he does but I don't care 100 tests and that's it....tell him to concentrate on the short ball format only

I believe Warner has been on record saying he wants to retire from test Cricket after the 2023 ashes ? Not sure what use we'd get out of him on the 9 way tests in India and England though. Was a ****ing nightmare in England in 2019 and that was when he was only 32.

Good Post nut

i'm with you.

warner has credits in the bank. there arent too many guys who score 24 test tons etc.

his record at home is impeccable and i'd give him the aussie summer and if he finishes, at least its on his home ground.

i think he has said he wants to make it to the WTC final in england , which is before the ashes. in saying that aussies have to qualify for it yet.

that way as well, hopefully pucovski may get a solid season of shield cricket under his belt and even give hunt, street, renshaw and others a chance to impress and press for further honours when an opportunity presents.

i'd then be happy to continue in the white ball format.

If warner was dumped for home summer lest remember they will just bring harris back for another go, would still rather a bloke who struggles overseas vs a bloke who struggles even on our decks, as others have said wont be any major shake up for start of home summer as bad as that last test was those two away series were still our best run away from home since 2011 when we won in Sl then drew 1-1 in SA after that.

Last edited:
i'm with you.

warner has credits in the bank. there arent too many guys who score 24 test tons etc.

his record at home is impeccable and i'd give him the aussie summer and if he finishes, at least its on his home ground.

i think he has said he wants to make it to the WTC final in england , which is before the ashes. in saying that aussies have to qualify for it yet.

that way as well, hopefully pucovski may get a solid season of shield cricket under his belt and even give hunt, street, renshaw and others a chance to impress and press for further honours when an opportunity presents.

He's averaged 28 since his last hundred, though. By way of comparison. Marcus Harris averaged 25.

Not sure he has too many credits left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should have made myself more clear, I meant why aren't people talking about him for the 1st Test in Australia.
Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc are all in the top dozen bowlers in the world. Nobody is replacing Lyon and if they want a fourth seamer for Perth, they already have Green.

Boland will be a dead cert for the MCG test.....though the benchmark there for the fella has been set pretty high. One would think and hope Jhye Richardson is in the mix as well.

As for the spinners, looks like Lyon will be first choice and then whoever takes wickets in the Sheffield shield will be in the mix for India....hopefully the likes of Murphy and Sangha can keep improving and put their hand up, not much else in the cupboard though. Will be interesting to see if Maxy will play shield for Victoria, in an attempt to go to India.

i'm with you.

The good thing is that we have a full Shield season coming up 10 games ..that's going to give us a fair indication of who is next in line

My side for the tests this summer:

Warner
Khawaja
Marnus
Smith
Maddison
Green
Pierson
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

We cant carry Head and Carey into an India series as they have shown they arent up to it with the Bat and Gloves. Need to blood some fresh meat. Maddisons shield form gets him first look but if he fails id be looking at Hunt / Renshaw

Warner
Khawaja
Marnus
Smith
Maddison
Green
Pierson
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

We cant carry Head and Carey into an India series as they have shown they arent up to it with the Bat and Gloves. Need to blood some fresh meat. Maddisons shield form gets him first look but if he fails id be looking at Hunt / Renshaw
Incorrect

Hunt
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Pope

Maxwell 12th man

Warner
Khawaja
Marnus
Smith
Maddison
Green
Pierson
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

Why not Inglis ahead of Pierson?

Incorrect. Carey is elite and will be around for a long time. Won’t be long until he overtakes Gilly as the GOAT keeper. Already 2nd.
Is it just me, or is Brad Haddin very underrated by the general public?

Remove this Banner Ad

First test of the aussie summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back