projectaero

Team Captain
May 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Diego Chargers
For the first time ever I am coming up to the Gabba in the near future (games are TBD atm).
I would like to know recommendations for game day.
What or where to go pre game?
Is the Lions shop good?
Any other cool things to do in Brisbane with my Wife that is a must.

Thank you in advance

Hi all,
I am coming up to the Gabba sometime in the near future most games are TBD at the moment.
I would like to know recommendations of what to do pre game, worth going to the lions shop, any other cool things in Brisbane, just to spend with my wife.
Thank you in advance

You've come to the right place!

Of course, there's the places everyone goes to, like South Bank, the Queen St Mall, Fortitude Valley, the Koala Sanctuary, the New Farm Powerhouse, Eat Street etc etc, but if you really like being outdoors and seeing not only nature but little pieces of history, I cannot recommend enough Fort Lytton (only open on a Sunday mind), Myrtletown Park (a bit hard to get to and definitely a hidden gem. Get there at low tide to see what remains of the hull of the Koopa), the Wynnum Wetlands, and, a little further out, Raby Bay and Wellington Point. It depends how long you're staying, but there's plenty here for a good weekend out. Definitely take the time to go on the CityCats (my personal favourite being Beenung-Urrung) as that's the best way to see the city via the River. :)

For the first time ever I am coming up to the Gabba in the near future (games are TBD atm).
Is the Lions shop good?

Thank you in advance
How long do you plan to come up for?

For a pre game meal you can't go past The Morrison Hotel, only 400 meters from the Gabba and the best steaks around, The Brewhouse good if you're after a burger.

I've heard the German Club is great, it's just across Vulture Street opposite the Gabba, never been there myself though.

Is the Lions shop good?

Thank you in advance

Come down to the Gold Coast. It's a blast.

Come down to the Gold Coast. It's a blast.

Don't go anywhere with this guy projectaero you've been warned.

[German club is a cool experience pre-game for dinner and a drink]

Is the Lions shop good?

Thank you in advance

A lot of nice little micro breweries around town you could visit after the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A lot of nice little micro breweries around town you could visit after the game.

Black Hops has a branch in easy walking distance. Several in West End too, within walking distance to Gabba bus routes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Range brewing at Newstead not so bad either.

I loved my visit to Range but it is a bit further.

One of my visits in 2019 was Range for lunch, pop across the river to Revel, then the CityCat through to near the Gabba with a pop in to (then) Semi Pro on the way (now Black Hops I believe). Very nice warmup.

Is the Lions shop good?

Thank you in advance

When you ask if the Lions shop is any good I'm assuming you mean for oppo gear? The answer would be an emphatic "No" friend.

Semi Pro was great in the past, became very popular but they were great for some different beverages. Haven't been there this year though. Really depends on the kind of thing you want to do. There are heap of great places to eat nearby. If you haven't been, Southbank isn't bad for a look at, and again, heaps of places to get a drink or food. It is a very doable walk to the gabba from southbank, but easy enough to hop on a bus as well.

Semi Pro was great in the past, became very popular but they were great for some different beverages. Haven't been there this year though.

I've been to all the venues you mention. German Club is the best one - though its usually absolutely jammed on game day.

+1 for German club. I was sad to miss out on getting there pre-Easter Thursday.

Depending on where you are staying there are also some good breweries in Milton. Also highly recommend the Scratch Bar on park road- very laid back place with a constantly changing selection of craft beers on tap and a huge range in cans/bottles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back