Not open for further replies.

kirsti

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...a/news-story/a67db1032bdf7aace62cc6df75266ca7

CANBERRA ruck Hannah Mouncey will attempt to become the first transgender footballer in the AFLW’s second season when she nominates for the October 18 draft.

Mouncey, 27, represented Australia in the men’s handball side that attempted to qualify for the Rio Olympics before transitioning into a female. She has already trialled for AFLW clubs including Melbourne and has interest from several Victorian sides given her powerful 100kg, 190cm physique.

Mouncey kicked 15 goals in the last three home-and-away games after moving from the midfield into the ruck for Ainslie in AFLW Canberra. She has permission from the AFL to play given her testosterone levels are lower than most females and an agent in Tim Hazell pushing her draft prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:

The AFLW recently amended their transgender inclusion policy to now be in line with the 2016 International Olympic Committees Transgender Policy which halved the time for a male to female athlete to have appropriate testosterone levels. The IOC and AFL have removed gender confirmation surgery and the time for appropriate hormone levels is now 12 months not two years as previously required.

Transgender players have been playing women's football since 2009 but they played under the old rules which required gender confirmation surgery, all gender markers to be changed and at least two years post operative.

Hannah commenced hormone treatment in November 2005 and her testosterone levels meet the current guidelines of the IOC and the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Mumford will never be as quick as caleb Daniel
So what you're saying is..... people are different?

Let me guess, the subtext to your argument is that a transgender female will be superior to her cis female peers in every way?

So I assume that if she doesn't dominate the competition a la Matthews, Carey and Franklin rolled into one you'll concede that your argument falls flat?

I have shared some pictures of myself pre transition to show the massive effects hormone replacement therapy has on a transgender women's body. Pre transition I was 100kg former international Modern Pentathlete now I am 58 kg wringing wet and I have played women's AFL and soccer since 2013.

I am happy to discuss my personal experiences as I am very well aware transgender athletes competing as their confirmed gender remains a very contentious issue.

IMG_0091.jpg

kirsti in your experience do you think one year post transition is a reasonable amount of time to wait, providing testosterone levels fall under the guidelines?
Absolutely not especially trans woman that transitioned later in life. I suggest the two year guidelines as a minimum is required to reverse the effects of a male puberty.

Allowing pre operative athletes also makes the monitoring of testosterone levels much more difficult.

Absolutely not especially trans woman that transitioned later in life. I suggest the two year guidelines as a minimum is required to reverse the effects of a male puberty.

Allowing pre operative athletes also makes the monitoring of testosterone levels much more difficult.
Obviously nothing is cut and dried in this area, but would a sliding scale based on the time of transition be a better solution? The later the transition the longer the wait for eligibility.

Perhaps one day there will be enough transgender people to form their own leagues.

I mean that in a positive way - not to make them seem like outcasts.

I have officiated many soccer matches where transgender women have absolutely been on another level physically.

We don't want to exclude them but It sort of seems they are a bit in the middle and so it would be nice if they had the numbers for their own league.

Can see both sides.

Can you explain to me how lets say a 30 year old man (pre transition) thats 2 years post transition is any different to a normal man? wouldn't their bone structure still be the same?

Calling being transgender a fantasy is not an opinion worth respecting. It's ignorance.

Would you share an "opinion" that gay people or minorities don't deserve to have their "fantasies" indulged?
If you want to go get HRT and remove body parts be my guest, but you can't expect to be allowed to be treated just like a woman, that is a fantasy. Testosterone or not, a man who's body underwent puberty with high testosterone levels is always going to be at an advantage to a woman's who didn't.

Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me ignorant. I could just as easily say you're being ignorant but I'd rather discuss the topic at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back