Play Nice First transgender player in the AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So she played local footy in Canberra for a women's side but isn't allowed to play in the AFLW? She will be playing local footy in a women's league next year?

Whats the difference? Surely if she cant play AFLW for a certain reason such as this, then she shouldn't be allowed to play in a women's local footy league?

Different leagues, different rules and considerations.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Imagine if she played and got tackled and everyone yells out 'Ball!!!!!!' or if she is tackled without the ball 'holding the man!'.

There would be so many good one liners.......and yes im waiting for those who will be Grinch's and say its off limits - joy kills
Off limits or not your one-liners are s**t.

Please never attempt humour again.

So she played local footy in Canberra for a women's side but isn't allowed to play in the AFLW? She will be playing local footy in a women's league next year?

Whats the difference? Surely if she cant play AFLW for a certain reason such as this, then she shouldn't be allowed to play in a women's local footy league?
I believe the AFLW is worried that with the competition in it's infancy - for potentially one of the best players in the league to have been born a man, and the contested ball nature of the AFLW game is very much in favour of big bodied players, it might result in the competition being dismissed by a large portion of supporters.

If I were Hannah's coach I'd be playing her at ruck rover and utilising her size like a bull to bash and crash through with the ball.

The game will eventually grow into the super skilled and flowing outside game they want for AFLW but last season was a suburban scrap of tough inside ball winning driving success.

Interesting to see how it would have played out if Hannah was a 5ft 5 55kg Thai girl or if Hannah came along the year after the little transgender girl put her hand up to play. Those who would seek for all transgender athletes to be kept away from women's sport really did win the lotto on the player leading the charge here.

Maybe there will be an AFLT league set up eventually that would be mixed, obviously, and everyone can play at the highest level.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
I believe the AFLW is worried that with the competition in it's infancy - for potentially one of the best players in the league to have been born a man, and the contested ball nature of the AFLW game is very much in favour of big bodied players, it might result in the competition being dismissed by a large portion of supporters.

If I were Hannah's coach I'd be playing her at ruck rover and utilising her size like a bull to bash and crash through with the ball.

The game will eventually grow into the super skilled and flowing outside game they want for AFLW but last season was a suburban scrap of tough inside ball winning driving success.

Interesting to see how it would have played out if Hannah was a 5ft 5 55kg Thai girl or if Hannah came along the year after the little transgender girl put her hand up to play. Those who would seek for all transgender athletes to be kept away from women's sport really did win the lotto on the player leading the charge here.

Maybe there will be an AFLT league set up eventually that would be mixed, obviously, and everyone can play at the highest level.
What % of Aus population are trans? Then what % of that % are interested in playing the sport? The league standard would be horrendous

Don't the AFL rules/laws usually filter down through other leagues?

I don't know the frequency of that.

I don't even know which league she is in.

Even so, local leagues don't operate in the same way as the AFL. Different resources etc.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The AFL had a choice with this, its choice was to cop a week of heat in the press from the eternal victims or allow Mouncey to play and the competition turn into a complete farce that would die off within 2 seasons.
I agree with the AFL on this decision.

If you allow Mouncey to play then a genetically perfect woman misses out. (Discrimination because she is a woman!)
Daisy Pearce is the AFLW poster girl. She is 170 cm and 70 kg. She would be easy roadkill for a player 195 cm and 100 kg.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Being born a male or female does not predict our anatomy, physiology or mental functions. Hope that clarifies a few repeated arguments.

Being born a male did not predict my anatomy? Tell that to my dick! Seriously, this is so vague it’s misleading. Yes, it does not predict the totality of my anatomy; such a lack of genetic diversity would potentially threaten our species’ survival. So, of course there are elements of biological sex that exist on a spectrum, such as hormonal sex characteristics, chromosomal variations (intersex individuals); but to say that biological sex in its entirety exists on a spectrum is just misleading.

Biological sex has primarily evolved as a means of sharing genetic material. If conceived naturally, we all have a biological mother and a father, according to their means of contribution to the genetic material. Some genetic disorders only descend through female/male ancestral lines. There is no spectrum in that equation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
nothing protects the integrity of a national top-level competition more than implying the players can't handle what is routine for a local Canberra league.

Last edited:

Smartest Brain

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Either you're socially uneducated, or you're intentionally trolling. Move with the times mate!
So you think if a person thinks they have the wrong body/sex it results in no mental problems? Transgender people have suicide rates extremely high and while many people blame discrimination for that I don't think that is the main variable, though it is certainly a factor. Whatever mental condition makes some people think they are in the wrong body is obviously something hard to deal with. It doesn't only apply to gender either, some people think they are animals or aliens .

Hopefully by 2020 society has progressed far enough to understand that all mental illnesses and the internal realities created by people who have them need to be accepted by everyone . Society will be so much more interesting and diverse when we are forced to accept aliens and dolphins and prophets of god. It's time to end all discrimination !

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
I agree with the AFL on this decision.

If you allow Mouncey to play then a genetically perfect woman misses out. (Discrimination because she is a woman!)
Daisy Pearce is the AFLW poster girl. She is 170 cm and 70 kg. She would be easy roadkill for a player 195 cm and 100 kg.
Like most players when Mumford runs through them?

Caleb Daniel v almost anyone else?

Spurious argument, shes a big girl, there are other big girls currently playing the game.

nothing protects the integrity of a national top-level competition more than implying the players can't handle what is routine for a local Canberra league.
It was never the players I was talking about.

Putting AFLW on national television opens the market to everyone. I'm not even talking about the hard liners who would be against it no matter what out of some principle of theirs, I'm talking about the middle class mums who are reading about vaccinations and wondering - there is a million families like that in this country.

liam123

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Can you point me to the passage of the Bible that indicates it's morally wrong to be transgender?

I'm pretty confident its not even alluded to in there anywhere.

Here is some reading for you if your interested...

https://www.charismanews.com/opinion/57835-what-the-bible-really-says-about-transgender

https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.or...what-does-the-bible-say-about-transgenderism/

If your not interested I'll summarize by saying that the Bible doesn't specifically say a lot of things. However if you read it without trying to bend it to suit your own idiology it quickly becomes obvious what is right and wrong with regards to gender identity

Two bible texts although I could spend days writing about it with hundreds of texts..

In Genesis God created people in His image "male and female He created them"

Hebrews 13 "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have."

God made males and females. Be content with what He gave you. I think these two are enough however there are plenty more

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Being born a male did not predict my anatomy? Tell that to my dick! Seriously, this is so vague it’s misleading. Yes, it does not predict the totality of my anatomy; such a lack of genetic diversity would potentially threaten our species’ survival. So, of course there are elements of biological sex that exist on a spectrum, such as hormonal sex characteristics, chromosomal variations (intersex individuals); but to say that biological sex in its entirety exists on a spectrum is just misleading.

Biological sex has primarily evolved as a means of sharing genetic material. If conceived naturally, we all have a biological mother and a father, according to their means of contribution to the genetic material. Some genetic disorders only descend through female/male ancestral lines. There is no spectrum in that equation.
Not sure why you selectively quoted my last response. Here it is in its entirety again:
I will try and end the argument regarding "biological sex is a spectrum".

Biological sex refers to:
- chromosomes XX and XY
- the type of genital belonging to a person
- procreation; females with the ability to carry a baby in a uterus.

"Spectrum of biological sex" more refers to:
- anatomical variations
- physiological variations
- cognitive variations

Being born a male or female does not predict our anatomy, physiology or mental functions. Hope that clarifies a few repeated arguments.
--------

Furthermore the spectrum argument is valid, considering that some "females" can have more "male" characteristics than "males", and some "males" can have more "female" characteristics than "females". It's the overlap in features of males and females that's why some talk this in terms of "spectrum", but specifically inferring to variance in anatomical, physiological and cognitive functions.

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was never the players I was talking about.

Putting AFLW on national television opens the market to everyone. I'm not even talking about the hard liners who would be against it no matter what out of some principle of theirs, I'm talking about the middle class mums who are reading about vaccinations and wondering - there is a million families like that in this country.
that's the story of thinking that led to the first ever AFLW match being scheduled at a ground with a seated capacity of zero.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
So you think if a person thinks they have the wrong body/sex it results in no mental problems? Transgender people have suicide rates extremely high and while many people blame discrimination for that I don't think that is the main variable, though it is certainly a factor. Whatever mental condition makes some people think they are in the wrong body is obviously something hard to deal with. It doesn't only apply to gender either, some people think they are animals or aliens .

Hopefully by 2020 society has progressed far enough to understand that all mental illnesses and the internal realities created by people who have them need to be accepted by everyone . Society will be so much more interesting and diverse when we are forced to accept aliens and dolphins and prophets of god. It's time to end all discrimination !
You're arguing with me 2 entirely separate issues. My response was in relation to the other member saying "transgender" is a mental health problem.
However, if we're talking about the consequences of being a transgender in relation to society, then I would agree there would be more social pressures, isolation, stigma and mental illness associated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back