Play Nice First transgender player in the AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a transgender person is still a human; calling them something you're well aware is offensive to the individual is showing less tolerance than the sheep.

The topic is whether or not a transgender player should be allowed to play in the AFLW (or state level equivalent now the VFLW exists) competitions; not the merits or validity of transgender people themselves.

I'm happy to discuss why Mouncey should or not should be allowed to compete in the AFLW, or whether intersex athletes like Semenya should be allowed to compete in their chosen sport. I just don't think it adds anything to be making harmful comments towards the individual.

If you want to open something on the SRP board about whether or not being transgender is a mental illness of some sort, then that might be the more appropriate setting for such a discussion.

I'm conscious of Kirsti having been incredibly tolerant of people making comments that would be quite offensive, having answered questions in as honest and respectful way as possible, and I think we can show a bit of that respect in return and keep the discussion away from personal judgments or attacks on an individual.

Sorry why should I be forced to call Mouncey a female/she when that is clearly not what they are? I find it offensive that I should be forced to refer to Mouncey as being female/she when it is apparent that that is not what it is.

Funny how those who are critical of the ones using the wrong titles and/or pronouns to refer to someone have no problems usually abusing or calling these people names like the hypocrites they are.

Sorry why should I be forced to call Mouncey a female/she when that is clearly not what they are? I find it offensive that I should be forced to refer to Mouncey as being female/she when it is apparent that that is not what it is.

Funny how those who are critical of the ones using the wrong titles and/or pronouns to refer to someone have no problems usually abusing or calling these people names like the hypocrites they are.

I haven't called anyone names; I've just said that in my opinion it's a basic level of respect for another human being to do so. If you don't want to do it, but also don't want to be offensive, you could just refer to the individual by their surname, as we do for most AFL players anyway.

I also don't believe it adds anything to this discussion to attack the personal choices of Mouncey (or others) who believe that there's an incongruity between their physical body and their mental identity.

If you want to discuss the merits or validity of being transgender, then I'd think the appropriate place to do so is in a thread (and forum) unrelated to AFLW. If you want to discuss the topic of transgender athletes playing in AFLW, then you could surely manage to do so without being offensive to that group of people, and also by using the players surname to avoid using either the gender pronoun you disagree with, or their birth / adopted name.

I'm a long way removed from a SJW, but do think we can keep to general standards of respect for another individual when discussing this topic.

It's 2018, you can identify as whatever the * you want. Woman, man, female, male, shrubbery, appliance...

Ok enough.

Thread will be re-opened if any developments in the field occur pertaining to transgender women in AFLW. You can PM me if you feel it needs to be re-opened with relevant news.

See also the Hannah Mouncey thread, which is presently locked pending related news.

Consider the SRP board for broader discussion on Transgender identity.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/transgender.1160480/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back