World Cup First Winner from outside Europe or S.America?

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of people have mentioned China, not sure why. Crap football culture and crap at football in general.
Having a footballing culture is crucial IMO. It's just not there with china.

1 Mexico. If they beat the Dutch; they can win it. If Vela was playing, I wouldn’t doubt it for a second. Size is what’s holding the Mexicans back.

2 Ghana. By far the best African team. Just need more money towards development and their local league. They definitely need more creativity and tactical awareness. They need a proper number 10. Box to box midfielders aren’t going to cut it in this level.

3 Nigeria. Former powerhouse. 150 million football obsessed people. Surely there is a Neymar, Ronaldo and Messi somewhere to be found. Just like Ghana they need more money towards development and their local league.

4 USA. Football is only getting bigger. The first generation of football fans are now coaching and mentoring the next generation. They will only get better both MLS and the national team. If Americans put their mind to football; I don’t doubt their capacity. I have been impressed.

5 Japan. Incredibly strong league. J League is definitely on the same quality as Turkish, Greek, and Scandinavian leagues. Technical wise they are top 10-15 teams in the world. However, they lack speed, power, strength, can’t defend well against set pieces and counters. I truly believe this possession oriented football and huge emphasis on team work is killing the creativity, ruthlessness and dare of the Japanese players. They have created a team full of enablers not creators. They are a team of wing back and holding midfielders. They need to create ruthless number 9(Ronaldo, Torres, Zlatan and so on), pure out and out winger (Valencia, Nani , Robben and so on).
6 South Korea. See above.

7. China. Solely based on numbers and the money they have. It looks like a matter of time.

I solely put Mexico, Nigeria and Ghana in the top 3 because of their performances in youth level. The talent is there but it just doesn’t transcend to the senior level. Reasons? So many,

I would have added Iraq and Egypt, but political instability made sure it won’t happen sadly.

If Vela was playing, I wouldn’t doubt it for a second. Size is what’s holding the Mexicans back.

The fact that Spain became World Champs with a bunch of insanely skillful short people in 2010 and the world's best player being part of the Barca's mosquito fleet, I don't think 'size' matters as much in soccer as some aussie soccer fans think it does.

Besides, the average height of the Mexican national team isn't that much different to other powerhouses like Brazil and Argentina. Although the technical ability of Mexican players is good, I still think they're lagging behind in terms of the depth that Argentina and Brazil produce year in year out across every position.

And that's the main issue that's holding countries from outside the traditional powerhouses in Europe and basically just Argentina and Brazil from South America, from going on to the next level.

The fact that Spain became World Champs with a bunch of insanely skillful short people in 2010 and the world's best player being part of the Barca's mosquito fleet, I don't think 'size' matters as much in soccer as some aussie soccer fans think it does.

Besides, the average height of the Mexican national team isn't that much different to other powerhouses like Brazil and Argentina. Although the technical ability of Mexican players is good, I still think they're lagging behind in terms of the depth that Argentina and Brazil produce year in year out across every position.

And that's the main issue that's holding countries from outside the traditional powerhouses in Europe and basically just Argentina and Brazil from South America, from going on to the next level.

History helps as well. Knowing you are playing against a five time Winner can play with your mind. As Chile just found out.

No ******* chance a Concacaaf rep wins the world cup lol. People to easy to shoot their loads during the world cup. Mexico will be joining Costa Rica on the flights back home tomorrow the USA could easily be too although I fancy them vs an overrated Belgium side.

Costa Rica win the world cup? bahahhahahah!!!! Hell maybe Bulgaria in 94 should have won it, Denmark in 98 and Korea in 2002. Teams have good runs along the way, that's all it is. Happens every world cup. Some people have multiple orgasms and cream themselves like a virgin on a prom night. Way too eager and excited prematurely.

Costa Rica could beat Greece tomorrow, their run would end the next round vs the Dutch.

1990 - Cameroon, Ireland
1994 - Romania,, Sweden, Bulgaria
1998 - Croatia. Denmark
2002 - Senegal, Turkey, Korea, USA, Denmark, Sweden{ to a lesser extent Japan and Mexico I had them in the 2nd round though }
2006 - Ukraine { was expected to go decent though } Portugal
2010 - Paraguay, Slovakia, Uruguay, Ghana, Japan, USA

All of the above teams had a good world cup or went a little further or just further than expected { some weren't a surprise } It happens every world cup. Unfancied teams are present in the knockout stages every world cup without fail.

I have to disagree.

People always use the Spanish example to conclude size doesn’t matter. But people don’t realize the many benefits the Spanish national team had and has.

Firstly, what national teams’ core players play with each other week in and work out. This was HUGE benefit to Spain’s success. Mexico for example will never get this chance. What national team has academics good as La Masia?

Xavi, Iniesta are two greatest players of all time. They grew up with each and played with each for decades. Their understanding of each other is unmatched. Their skill level is so advanced that size became meaningless because they never lost the ball under Tika Taka.

But I can guarantee that Silva, Mata, Koke, Cesc cannot play like these two mentioned and size and power can beat the players mentioned. Size definitely does matter but only select few make it meaningless. You cannot follow Spain’s example if you don’t have the players, infrastructure and tactics.

Couple of people have mentioned China, not sure why. Crap football culture and crap at football in general.
Having a footballing culture is crucial IMO. It's just not there with china.

But the culture is changing. This is the work of just one club. One club.

All Far East Asian nations should follow the Japanese model for the basic. They should firstly create a competitive profit making league with community roots (Love the J League model). Emphasis on skill and development at a young age. Futsal at a young age as well. If China follows Japanese model, game over within 2 decades

As some people may be struggling with FIFA geography:

View attachment 64853

Ok. I let you go, but I guess you really are asking for a bitch slap. Go back, reread my sentence, then do some research on the Copa AMERICA and you will find that Fifa invite Mexico and others to participate. Do they invite Australia? England? Japan? No, they dont because they are not part of the American continent. Now go away and surf the Fifa website.

The OP asked "First Winner from outside Europe or S.America"

Your answer was completely irrelevant to the OP's question. Stop being a dick.

If you want to post a different question to OP, start your own thread.

All Far East Asian nations should follow the Japanese model for the basic. They should firstly create a competitive profit making league with community roots (Love the J League model). Emphasis on skill and development at a young age. Futsal at a young age as well. If China follows Japanese model, game over within 2 decades

The culture will never change they are set in their ways. Japan is different, they do well at team sports and have more western influence. Plus corruption & scandal are just not issues within Japanese football. The only thing the Japanese lack is physical prowess and that little bit of a winning "edge". You don't see them get in stuck in and battling out matches.

China excels at individual sports and always will. They've already thrown bucketloads of money at the game and are actually worse off than 15-20 years ago. China will never even be a top 4 team in Asia. Japan, Australia, Sth Korea & Iran will always be the powerhouses of Asian football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The OP asked "First Winner from outside Europe or S.America"

Your answer was completely irrelevant to the OP's question. Stop being a dick.

If you want to post a different question to OP, start your own thread.

LOL

I have to disagree.

People always use the Spanish example to conclude size doesn’t matter. But people don’t realize the many benefits the Spanish national team had and has.

Firstly, what national teams’ core players play with each other week in and work out. This was HUGE benefit to Spain’s success. Mexico for example will never get this chance. What national team has academics good as La Masia?

Xavi, Iniesta are two greatest players of all time. They grew up with each and played with each for decades. Their understanding of each other is unmatched. Their skill level is so advanced that size became meaningless because they never lost the ball under Tika Taka.

But I can guarantee that Silva, Mata, Koke, Cesc cannot play like these two mentioned and size and power can beat the players mentioned. Size definitely does matter but only select few make it meaningless. You cannot follow Spain’s example if you don’t have the players, infrastructure and tactics.

The most lauded and technically gifted (not to mention highest paid) players of the 2010 Spanish side were around 170 - 175 cm tall and for that matter many of the world's past and current greats of the game. The skill and talent of these average size players are more often than not the difference between their respective side winning or losing.

Yes, defenders in general are around the 180 - 190 cm tall, they're players who add physicality and provide protection from aerial threats for their teams. But these type of dour, disciplined players are a dime a dozen and as far as I can tell the vast majority of national teams across the world are able to produce semi decent ones in that height range anyway.

Point being having players who are 180cm + in height but who are of average technical ability won't guarantee success either, England being a prime example of that.

The most lauded and technically gifted (not to mention highest paid) players of the 2010 Spanish side were around 170 - 175 cm tall and for that matter many of the world's past and current greats of the game. The skill and talent of these average size players are more often than not the difference between their respective side winning or losing.

Yes, defenders in general are around the 180 - 190 cm tall, they're players who add physicality and provide protection from aerial threats for their teams. But these type of dour, disciplined players are a dime a dozen and as far as I can tell the vast majority of national teams across the world are able to produce semi decent ones in that height range anyway.

Point being having players who are 180cm + in height but who are of average technical ability won't guarantee success either, England being a prime example of that.

As you pointed out the most technically gifted and best have been small sized players with the best ever being Maradona, Pele and dare I say Messi. Interesting that in addition to being small in height they are also left footers.

Ok. I let you go, but I guess you really are asking for a bitch slap. Go back, reread my sentence, then do some research on the Copa AMERICA and you will find that Fifa invite Mexico and others to participate. Do they invite Australia? England? Japan? No, they dont because they are not part of the American continent. Now go away and surf the Fifa website.

The fact that they're invited to participate in South America's Copa America indicates that they are not in fact, from South America. And FYI Japan have been in that competition before, so stop being a smartarse, anyone with a modicum of football knowledge knows the differences between the confederations.

The fact that they're invited to participate in South America's Copa America indicates that they are not in fact, from South America. And FYI Japan have been in that competition before, so stop being a smartarse, anyone with a modicum of football knowledge knows the differences between the confederations.

Reread my original post and then come back to me with your insightful comments.

Reread my original post and then come back to me with your insightful comments.

Your original post in which you invented some mythical 'American Continent' which is only observed by yourself?

Your original post in which you invented some mythical 'American Continent' which is only observed by yourself?
People in Latin American don't divide the continents into 2 separate regions . They consider it to be one region with a South, a Center and a North just like Europe, Asia, Africa etc.. It's a matter of cultural perspective I guess.

Heard/seen it all before to be honest mate, not being disrespectful. Where has it got them? Nowhere.

People in Latin American don't divide the continents into 2 separate regions . They consider it to be one region with a South, a Center and a North just like Europe, Asia, Africa etc.. It's a matter of cultural perspective I guess.

100% correct.

Maybe so, but he was saying FIFA consider the two continents as one, which is clearly not true.

I'll say the United States, Soccer is growing as the most popular sport in their younger generation. Something's gotta give with their population.
Soccer is actually the most played sport in the US due to the dangers and injuries of American football, and the growing latino population. The national team is already as good if not better than most Latin American countries, and has been for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back