Recommitted Fischer McAsey - signed contract extension until 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
He isnt the worst AFL tall defender going around.

Saying that he is a young key position player.

Will be in his 2nd year next season. Yes He is a tall defender. Only 19 years old.

But if I was Matthew Nicks, I would be letting him play 10-12 games next season Along with Jordan Butts as he is only 20 years old with 2 games under the belt.

Daniel Talia is out of contract in 2021 and it makes sense for both McAsey and Butts to rotate games at CHB.

The Rocks

Senior List
Nov 17, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Talia who learnt from Bock, Tex and Truck with Tex learning from Bock and Truck who learnt from Wayne Carey. Their roles Talia and Tex will be to give all that knowledge to young McAsey who could swing forward but doubt he needs to. Will take over from Daniel Talia as the general if he applies himself!

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would have figured he would be in the delisting category so why would they sign him up now?

Adelaide need to be a bit more firmer in contract negotiations and not make the mistakes of the past
Lol, completely clueless!

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Doggies are certain they've got him

We've extended pretty much all our recent first rounders by the end of first season. We'd definitely have put a contract in front of him, so a bit of a concern that he's not extended yet. With Hartigan going he should play a lot of AFL footy next year, so hopefully he stays. But I wouldn't be confident.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
We've extended pretty much all our recent first rounders by the end of first season. We'd definitely have put a contract in front of him, so a bit of a concern that he's not extended yet. With Hartigan going he should play a lot of AFL footy next year, so hopefully he stays. But I wouldn't be confident.
Adding to this it would be really disappointing for the club if he wants out as you would have thought they did due diligence on him before trading down to draft him. Add to that a young list with some real potential that he could be part of. But if he plays most games and does really well i guess the crows will be after jake lever type compo in what could be a very strong draft?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Will be interesting to see where he spends the rest of the career (position wise). I watched a few of his u18 games and liked him as a forward. I think he can go really well as a lead up fwd

I thought he looked good movement wise up forward last year. Not much opportunity up there though and we've got a need down back. If he's keen on playing forward, we'll have a bit of trouble keeping him.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought he looked good movement wise up forward last year. Not much opportunity up there though and we've got a need down back. If he's keen on playing forward, we'll have a bit of trouble keeping him.

I cannot get a feel for McAsey at all in terms of which end of the ground he makes his name. I love having an intimidating back 6 that is the envy of other teams so I'd probably like him to slot in with Doedee, Butts and Hamill down back.

He is so young, so early in his development ... He has shown enough to be excited by his potential.

No team can bank on a player staying after being drafted anymore, but he is coming through with a new group that looks like it has the chance to do something ... Sometimes that is all it takes.

Same reason we will struggle to get Rankine or Luko back if Gold Coast climb up the ladder.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Adding to this it would be really disappointing for the club if he wants out as you would have thought they did due diligence on him before trading down to draft him. Add to that a young list with some real potential that he could be part of. But if he plays most games and does really well i guess the crows will be after jake lever type compo in what could be a very strong draft?
Lever went for basically two firsts, Fish would need to have an outstanding year to be holding anything close to that value.

I expect he will stay, probably just delaying contracts hoping he can get a better deal with a good year.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Would have figured he would be in the delisting category so why would they sign him up now?

Adelaide need to be a bit more firmer in contract negotiations and not make the mistakes of the past
This is the kind of post I'd expect from some casual who doesn't understand that talent development can be kind of nuanced. You don't write off a KPD who went in the first round after one mediocre year playing in the spoon winning team. These kinds of players take time to develop. People forget Daniel Talia played in the reserves at Adelaide for ages, same with Doedee. McAsey got a baptism of fire in comparison.

Adelaide's recruiters are typically very good at picking these kinds of players. I have plenty of misgivings about some of our recent recruitment decisions but Hamish can pick the eyes out of defenders. I'm pretty confident McAsey will be a very good player one day. I'm doubtful he will stay at Adelaide long term though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is the kind of post I'd expect from some casual who doesn't understand that talent development can be kind of nuanced. You don't write off a KPD who went in the first round after one mediocre year playing in the spoon winning team. These kinds of players take time to develop. People forget Daniel Talia played in the reserves at Adelaide for ages, same with Doedee. McAsey got a baptism of fire in comparison.

Adelaide's recruiters are typically very good at picking these kinds of players. I have plenty of misgivings about some of our recent recruitment decisions but Hamish can pick the eyes out of defenders. I'm pretty confident McAsey will be a very good player one day. I'm doubtful he will stay at Adelaide long term though.
He maybe able to pick the eyes out of defenders but they need to be in for the long term as well. There was nothing to my knowledge suggesting he wasn’t keen on going interstate.

I'd love him at the dogs but if he does leave, it really strengthens the argument for mandatory 3 year contracts for first round draftees.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
He maybe able to pick the eyes out of defenders but they need to be in for the long term as well. There was nothing to my knowledge suggesting he wasn’t keen on going interstate.
Hamish has one job and that's to pick the most talented player available. It's up to the coaches, players and list management people to create an environment where interstate players want to stay. Obviously the Crows have a lot to improve in that regard but I wouldn't be drafting less talented players out of weak-minded insecurity.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Keep in mind this is the 1st time in AFL history crows got the wooden spoon.

This is also the 1st time since 2011 that the crows have finished bottom 4.

Most key position players take a good 3-5 years to develop.

Daniel Talia was from the 2009 draft. Slowly developing in the 2010 and 2011 season. Had a break through 2012 season as he got the rising star award and crows got top 2.

Sam Jacobs slowly developed at Carlton for 4 years. Played only 17 games for Carlton. Then spends 8-9 years at the crows and played all his prime years there. Goes to GWS as a free agent on a 2 year contract but he only lasts 1 year.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Not feeling too confident. If he turns around and says he wants to be a forward then that is an out to leave. We just drafted TT and have reasonable hopes for Fog.
If he does become a KPF even if it's a B grade one that kicks 35-40 goals a season, he will be chased by a few Vic clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back