Recommitted Fischer McAsey - signed contract extension until 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

the lad is talented.. there really not too much doubting that. but he’s a KPD. how often do you see KPD’s come straight into the AFL from their draft year and play well?.. it just very rarely happens.

now, to take this further, look at how many times the Crows put a freshly drafted KPD straight in..

Mcasey was probably the first time I’ve seen them do it... and what a fu**
I’m happy to admit I’m biased in that I didn’t really rate him in his draft year and thought he was a big reach at pick 6.

Given Nick's press conference comments yesterday & the fact he has not re-signed within the time frame Ricciuto mentioned a month or so ago.... it's looking more likely McAsey will be returning to Victoria next year.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Given Nick's press conference comments yesterday & the fact he has not re-signed within the time frame Ricciuto mentioned a month or so ago.... it's looking more likely McAsey will be returning to Victoria next year.

Hope I'm wrong though.

What did Nicks say?

What did Nicks say?
Something along the lines that he was in a happy space & it was up to him to decide whether he wants to stay.

Ricciuto mentioned about a month or so ago he would have re-signed by now, so given there is no current contract talk, I think we know why.

McAsey was excellent yesterday - really should be playing seniors, but for some reason the Crows are only running with one key defender.

McAsey was excellent yesterday - really should be playing seniors, but for some reason the Crows are only running with one key defender.
Because he doesn’t want to play for the Crows. Don’t mean to be so blunt but that is more than likely the reason they aren’t playing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do the Bulldogs really need a key defender? I think a team like Richmond would be a better option for McAsey with Grimes and Astbury both nearing 30 and in the twilight of their careers.
Dogs are playing Ryan Gardner back there. They need a kpd.

But I think they need a kpd now and McAsey is a couple of years away, so I agree Richmond could be a good fit, or maybe the cats with Blitz and Henderson over 30 and only SDK really coming through.

Is that just because he hasn't built the body for it yet?
possibly, but he seems to like playing intercept and has done ok at SANFL level this year doing that. To me, I think he looks more like a Jake lever type in that if you could play 2 key defenders at FB & CHB, he could be the 3rd that comes in and picks off balls coming inside 50. But young tall defenders and forwards generally take time to build and he might be the same and might end up a KPD

Would he even get a game for the Dogs?
In 2023 he just might.
We have two proper AFL standard tall backs on our list. One if Keath, and the other is a gun forward.

Our no 2 spot seems to be going to a mixture of Garnder (inj.), Young and Cordy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back