Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, Serong hurts big time from that draft. We wanted best KPD in the draft, and he was that but for a 1st round pick and a top 10 pick at that take the best available I think history shows that is the better way to go. If you take the best available with that pick class is permanent form is temporary.

We need more A graders and elite footballers on the list. B graders and below we are sacked with those.
Maybe the recruiting team thought he was the best available at that point. He did win Vic Metro's MVP award that year, U18 AA.

Serong did the same, but another 178cm mid - can you imagine the uproar if we spend pick 6 on a small mid/forward!

The majority have previously claimed that Fogarty was a bust and should be delisted. This board is ALWAYS too quick to declare players a bust…

Fog had shown WAY more than McAsey at this point in time.

The majority have previously claimed that Fogarty was a bust and should be delisted. This board is ALWAYS too quick to declare players a bust…
This comparison doesn't work. Fog showed glimpses of elite talent even in his lean years. McAsey never really showed much of anything and never looked like getting back into the senior side after his first year.

It’s legitimate to talk about his recruitment because:
1. Is mental illness is the only thing holding him back? Despite his (assumed) mental illness he seems to be lacking in some raw physical traits, especially speed and agility, which as far as I can tell were a known issue pre-draft, but we recruited him anyway. I can’t see why mental illness would affect these things. I still don’t understand why we spent pick 6 on a slow, lumbering KPD.

Numerous clubs were looking to trade up for McAsey if we didn't take him, including Geelong. He was All Australian and MVP. He was considered a natural footballer more than a natural athlete, but no one considered him lumbering.

2. You’d hope this kind of problem (the assumed mental illness), or the risk of it, would be spotted by competent recruiters (insert caveats re some things can’t be predicted)

I'm not a medical expert, but I don't know if a football recruiter should be consider an expert in assessing mental health.

3. You’re assuming his assumed mental illness is the cause of his underperformance. What if it is the way around?

Maybe it is. How could we know?

Maybe the recruiting team thought he was the best available at that point. He did win Vic Metro's MVP award that year, U18 AA.

Serong did the same, but another 178cm mid - can you imagine the uproar if we spend pick 6 on a small mid/forward!
Young was probably the pick.

Hamish said we were choosing between four, so obvious we were weighing up players and came down on McAsey as the best pick, for better or worse.

Numerous clubs were looking to trade up for McAsey if we didn't take him, including Geelong. He was All Australian and MVP. He was considered a natural footballer more than a natural athlete, but no one considered him lumbering.

I'm not a medical expert, but I don't know if a football recruiter should be consider an expert in assessing mental health.

Maybe it is. How could we know?
Has anyone suggested that? I think the point being suggested is that there should be someone on the interview panels with expertise in assessing the personal aspects.

Who was the last player we drafted that showed absolutely nothing at AFL level in their first year but turned it around?

You'd have to go back pretty far I reckon
I'm sure there's a few guys who looked pretty 'not ready' in their first year that went on to be really good players. Cripps only averaged 9 touches a game in 3 games at AFL level for instance, and look at him now

The problem with McAsey is that he's shown nothing at AFL, or really at SANFL level, in three years, seemingly due to a number of factors

Either way, I really hope he is able to overcome what he's going through, and continue enjoying whatever he's doing (whether it be playing AFL or not)

This comparison doesn't work. Fog showed glimpses of elite talent even in his lean years. McAsey never really showed much of anything and never looked like getting back into the senior side after his first year.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I thought McAsey showed the most in his rookie year and has gone down hill since?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone suggested that? I think the point being suggested is that there should be someone on the interview panels with expertise in assessing the personal aspects.

In all seriousness mate, assuming its the mental health issue I suspect, picking it from that far out is neigh on impossible if the kid didn't want it to show. It's not like general personality profiling which would uncover s**t like homesickness, softcockness, authority, or non conformity issues, and its something that can literally go decades without rearing its head in the form of obvious warning signs.
Young males suicide weekly without anyone being any the wiser.
It's not in the stratosphere of misidentification that saw Gallucci or McHuffandPuff picked despite obvious,or potential future footballing flaws either.

I'm not trying to defend the recruitment staff here because I don't believe he was the right pick regardless,but blaming them for lack of Clairvoyance, which this is, is a bit rough IMHO.

He did because he was playing afl and as a first year player that was promising. But really it wasn’t that much but the bar is so low for him

What I'm saying is, he didn't look like a poor choice, or out of place considering what pick he went at,and what the state of the side was at the time in his first season. I'm not suggesting he shot the lights out.
What I'm saying is, if he trajected on par with the average player that showed the same at that stage, he'd probably not be considered a bust.

That to me says, the recruitment dept aren't as answerable for where Fish finds himself as those that the recruitment dept handed him over to, coupled with whatever other crap was/is happening in his head.

I'm not a massive Hamish fan, or trying to rip off Bicks schtik,but I'll argue that alot of people give the rest of the club/Coaching staff a massive free pass in many cases when it comes to percieved inadequacies/failures of some of his draft picks, and that's just based on pre-draft footballing abilty, not underlying proclivity to mental health issues.

Last edited:
He didn't show much iirc. I do remember him taking some good grabs. The one where he marked it running back toward the goal square was a screamer.

1st year KPD thrown to the Wolves wasn't he?

I've cringed at quite a few 3rd year players a lot more than him(in the 1st season games he played) .

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I thought McAsey showed the most in his rookie year and has gone down hill since?
Agree … I think playing before he was ready didn’t help in long run though

I don’t think he’s ever attacked a pre season and looked stronger or fitter since he joined , understand he’s been injured at times but there is always something to work on

Who was the last player we drafted that showed absolutely nothing at AFL level in their first year but turned it around?

You'd have to go back pretty far I reckon
Nathan Bock?

Agre … his first year was fine . It’s more about what’s happened since on field and off field re prep

Prep and whatever else we aren't privvy to.

After the first year surely it's considered out of Hamish's hands?

This I agree with.

I don't have the kind of expertise to know how that would unfold, but it's something that is impacting young men more and more, and we need some level of analysis in our recruiting.

It happens already as has been shown upthread.

A complete Psychoanalysis more often than not takes years to complete,sssuming its conducted by a competent practitioner.

No club, or player in the land can afford that time or price tag.

Agre … his first year was fine . It’s more about what’s happened since on field and off field re prep
Just playing devil’s advocate - the whole process of rebuilding relies on identifying and nurturing talent. Obviously McAsey didn’t stink it up in his first year by a 19yo KPP’s standards, but he wasn’t exactly a world beater either. If he was able to play out most of the year without needing to be moved about, got a RS nom etc, then produced the same 2nd/3rd years he has, then we could definitely pin a lot of it it on the coaches

We’re not privy to a lot of behind the scenes stuff so it’s admittedly hard to make concrete judgements, but surely there has to be some element of the recruiting team getting the talent ID wrong

For instance (and I’ll admit my judgement here was incorrect, too) - McAsey won Metro MVP. But the KPF competition he faced in the champs for instance wasn’t very strong at all, on reflection - in fact, no real KPF’s got selected in the U18 AA team, and the only non-VM guys you could really call KPFs that got drafted in the top 40 were Georgiades (injured most of his 18th year) and Comben (played as a ruck in the champs)

Not that McAsey didn’t impress, he wouldn’t have gotten drafted nearly as high as he did otherwise - just some random thoughts, on reflection

Back