Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you understand what a phantom is?

They aren’t rankings. They are where people think a player will be drafted. Everyone knew the crows were taking him.

He wasn’t top 10 in many rankings I saw. At all.
Of course I understand that. Point still stands he was ranked in most phantoms as going inside the top 6-10

Were there any other final phantom drafts that had him going to anyone but us??
I suppose Hamish was thinking he had another Lever at the time. I'm not sure if we were all that happy at the time with his selection. It almost appeared the press was pushing him our way.

enough is enough has the club actually thought about bringing his parents over for 12 months? this is beyond a joke.

unlike others i think there is some talents there but clearly very immature and its torture being away from home

how could our recruiters not have picked this up?

It's very naive to think mental health issues are just "being immature".

Yes, and most years in College Basketball the major awards go to players with poor athletic profiles, and they fall in drafts as a result.

McAsey has always been slow. Slow KPDs in the top 10 of a draft is a recipe for disaster. Just because he was rated as the best KPD in the draft by a lot of people doesn’t mean those people were going to be correct. They weren’t.

There is also no evidence whatsoever that any other club would have used a top 6 pick on him. Just us.

Yuck.
What evidence do you want that another club wouldn't have used a pick that high on McAsey? Stat decs? Someone to testify in a court of law?

Clubs were either trading into the top ten for him as was rumoured, or the Hawks were taking him at 11.

He was clearly a talent. It's bullshit that we're turning this lad's health issues into a discussion around recruitment.

What evidence do you want that another club wouldn't have used a pick that high on McAsey? Stat decs? Someone to testify in a court of law?

Clubs were either trading into the top ten for him as was rumoured, or the Hawks were taking him at 11.

He was clearly a talent. It's bullshit that we're turning this lad's health issues into a discussion around recruitment.
His health issues are a separate matter but since day 1 when he was so slow in the first U23 trial game at Thebby it was clear his physical attributes were a concern. He hasn’t got any faster and I’ve seen him trail SANFL footballers. Being so slow clearly he wasn’t worth pick 6. And before Talias name get thrown up again, it’s an insult to bring up Takias name in the same conversation. Talia won the Rising Star, McAsey wouldn’t even be in the discussion for a SANFL Rising Star nomination.

Can he be delisted after the draft to free up a spot? There has to be a better option via SSP or MSD. We’ve wasted enough time on him.
I assume he can be put on the inactive list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s legitimate to talk about his recruitment because:
1. Is mental illness is the only thing holding him back? Despite his (assumed) mental illness he seems to be lacking in some raw physical traits, especially speed and agility, which as far as I can tell were a known issue pre-draft, but we recruited him anyway. I can’t see why mental illness would affect these things. I still don’t understand why we spent pick 6 on a slow, lumbering KPD.
2. You’d hope this kind of problem (the assumed mental illness), or the risk of it, would be spotted by competent recruiters (insert caveats re some things can’t be predicted)
3. You’re assuming his assumed mental illness is the cause of his underperformance. What if it is the way around?

1. Is mental illness is the only thing holding him back? Despite his (assumed) mental illness he seems to be lacking in some raw physical traits, especially speed and agility, which as far as I can tell were a known issue pre-draft, but we recruited him anyway. I can’t see why mental illness would affect these things. I still don’t understand why we spent pick 6 on a slow, lumbering KPD.
2. You’d hope this kind of problem (the assumed mental illness), or the risk of it, would be spotted by competent recruiters (insert caveats re some things can’t be predicted)
3. You’re assuming his assumed mental illness is the cause of his underperformance. What if it is the way around?
spot on point 3 especially

Yes, and most years in College Basketball the major awards go to players with poor athletic profiles, and they fall in drafts as a result.

McAsey has always been slow. Slow KPDs in the top 10 of a draft is a recipe for disaster. Just because he was rated as the best KPD in the draft by a lot of people doesn’t mean those people were going to be correct. They weren’t.

There is also no evidence whatsoever that any other club would have used a top 6 pick on him. Just us.

Yuck.
Yep proven not to be a good pick for your reasons and also the competitive / mental side of the game just as much

Wouldn’t have wanted Dylan Stephens with that pick either but would have been more than happy with Will Day …. Serong if we hadn’t of traded back

I’m not sure the ‘no club other than us ‘ argument is necessarily a thing

As people have said if you were using phantom drafts only why would you bother having recruiters

Whats even worse than his recruitment is that we extended his contract for another 2 years, some rumours are saying at $450k a year
What were they thinking

Can we just pay his contract out? Surely we still have space.

Give him all the support we can but just move on with this.

He isn’t getting another contract at the end of next year, this has made it a certainty.

We wouldn't have space, someone has posted elsewhere that the difference between minimum and max spend is like 600k.

We paid out Luke Brown who you would think would've been on at least 450-500k, so doesn't leave us with much.

The majority have previously claimed that Fogarty was a bust and should be delisted. This board is ALWAYS too quick to declare players a bust…

Burgess said that McAsey is doing training work on a daily program in Melbourne. No missed sessions so far
excercise-beer-wine-social.jpg

We wouldn't have space, someone has posted elsewhere that the difference between minimum and max spend is like 600k.

We paid out Luke Brown who you would think would've been on at least 450-500k, so doesn't leave us with much.

Correct. Salary cap is $13.54m and cap floor is $12.86m - so just under $700k

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back