Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't a crack at you in particular, apologies if it was taken that way.

Plenty more were pushing Thilthorpe as a mid on this thread (and just about every other decent player on other threads)
In my first response, I also thought Thilthorpe was being pushed as a ruck, not a midfielder.

It wasn't a crack at you in particular, apologies if it was taken that way.

Plenty more were pushing Thilthorpe as a mid on this thread (and just about every other decent player on other threads)
Fair enough and thanks

TT to the midfield?!?!?

C'mon now. He is smoother, more talented version of Kurt Tippett.

Leave him inside the 50. Sure he can go into the ruck a couple of times a game at crucial points, but he is wasted in the midfield.

TT to the midfield?!?!?

C'mon now. He is smoother, more talented version of Kurt Tippett.

Leave him inside the 50. Sure he can go into the ruck a couple of times a game at crucial points, but he is wasted in the midfield.
I think if you’re comparing Riley to Tippett then you’re already behind the 8 ball. Decent player Tippett for sure not having a go at him, but nothing like Riley at all.

The way you’re wanting to pigeonhole these boys into set positions shows a bit of a lack of understanding on how they are taught now. Of course Riley will have spells up forward here and there and will be damned hard to match up on. But he’s already spent time running through the middle last year - that will only increase.

If you have time take a look at his vision from his AFL Academy football when he was playing against his peers. He was everywhere - forward, ruck and playing as an extra midfielder. Anyone thinking he’s just going to be a permanent forward stationed in the forward 50 is in for a rude shock.

I think if you’re comparing Riley to Tippett then you’re already behind the 8 ball. Decent player Tippett for sure not having a go at him, but nothing like Riley at all.

The way you’re wanting to pigeonhole these boys into set positions shows a bit of a lack of understanding on how they are taught now. Of course Riley will have spells up forward here and there and will be damned hard to match up on. But he’s already spent time running through the middle last year - that will only increase.

If you have time take a look at his vision from his AFL Academy football when he was playing against his peers. He was everywhere - forward, ruck and playing as an extra midfielder. Anyone thinking he’s just going to be a permanent forward stationed in the forward 50 is in for a rude shock.

I think any player that has the ability to be a 200cm 106kg key forward and kick 50+ goals a year needs to be played in that position.

The comparison to Tippett is certainly the trap in Rileys profile. That we get so tunneled visioned to the idea of Thilthorpe being that kind of player we miss what he actually is.

That said, I struggle to see a future for Riley where he isn't a permanent forward from 2023 onwards. After all, this is a lad born to be a CHF and the focal point to our side.

The comparison to Tippett is certainly the trap in Rileys profile. That we get so tunneled visioned to the idea of Thilthorpe being that kind of player we miss what he actually is.

That said, I struggle to see a future for Riley where he isn't a permanent forward from 2023 onwards. After all, this is a lad born to be a CHF and the focal point to our side.
Fair enough - I remember you being pretty on the ball.

If it did go that way would be a terrible waste, confident it won’t. Do recommend looking at his junior football and you’ll see how damaging he is after the ruck co test. He’s a 25-30 possession 2-3 goals a game player. Or as I always like to say - he’s a kid who has a game to win a Norm Smith.

Last thing you want for a player like that is to turn him into a forward 50 battering ram. He needs to run and use the athleticism.

Bringing this to Mac though - he’s a very good footballer and more the key position player you assume Riley to be. He’ll find his niche.

If it did go that way would be a terrible waste, confident it won’t. Do recommend looking at his junior football and you’ll see how damaging he is after the ruck co test. He’s a 25-30 possession 2-3 goals a game player. Or as I always like to say - he’s a kid who has a game to win a Norm Smith.

Last thing you want for a player like that is to turn him into a forward 50 battering ram. He needs to run and use the athleticism.

Bringing this to Mac though - he’s a very good footballer and more the key position player you assume Riley to be. He’ll find his niche.
Which he will at CHF, remember a bloke called St. Nick?

Watch out Fischer McAsey and Nick Murray, Hartlett is expecting big things from his old mate Billy Frampton this season. I have only just come across this from Hartlett, which has Billy as his number one selection for top improvers at the Crows in 2022:

1. Billy Frampton

Hartlett: “My old mate, I really hope this is his year, Billy Frampton, my old housemate.

“He has recently made the transition down back, they’ve got a lot of very good, young key defenders the Crows (and) I think Bill, he brings something different.

“Not only is he almost 200cm - so he can play a key position role - but he can play higher up the ground because he’s got a pretty good running capacity, his skill level is just about as good as it gets for a big man and his kick is vastly underrated for mine.

“He can take the kick-ins if you need, and he’s got that intercept marking capability as well.

“I hope he can keep developing his craft as a key defender.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's worth noting that a 25 disp/2-3 goal a game player for even one season is likely a mark where it'll only occur if everything goes right for a generational player. The only one out of the last batch of star mids to come close was Dangerfield in 2017, who knocked a 29/1.9 (oh what could have been :( ).

The good thing about CHF is there is a lot of link play involved. Look how much Tex moves for instance, and how involved he is around the arcs as an example. It's probably the most likely role for us to have our cake with Thilthorpe. The aim should really be in creating year in year out 14-15 disp, 2-2.5 goal guy at CHF at peak, which are borderline generational. Think how North used Carey, Saints with Riedwoldt, Hawks/Swans with Franklin as examples of rough blueprints for what we should be looking towards.

I hope Mac does, but he's not in the conversation of KP prospects better than Thilthorpe (league-wise Thilthorpe is likely the best KP prospect walking into 2022). There is definitely enough in his game to become a handy foil though, especially as his strengths should compliment Riley.

It's worth noting that a 25 disp/2-3 goal a game player for even one season is likely a mark where it'll only occur if everything goes right for a generational player. The only one out of the last batch of star mids to come close was Dangerfield in 2017, who knocked a 29/1.9 (oh what could have been :( ).

The good thing about CHF is there is a lot of link play involved. Look how much Tex moves for instance, and how involved he is around the arcs as an example. It's probably the most likely role for us to have our cake with Thilthorpe. The aim should really be in creating year in year out 14-15 disp, 2-2.5 goal guy at CHF at peak, which are borderline generational. Think how North used Carey, Saints with Riedwoldt, Hawks/Swans with Franklin as examples of rough blueprints for what we should be looking towards.

I hope Mac does, but he's not in the conversation of KP prospects better than Thilthorpe (league-wise Thilthorpe is likely the best KP prospect walking into 2022). There is definitely enough in his game to become a handy foil though, especially as his strengths should compliment Riley.
Then King boys go OK.

Agree to disagree but good discussion points. Only time will tell

Not many spots though. Thilthorpe is a lock, Fog the mid leading type, Tex plays most games, so can't see how he gets much of a crack in 2022 up forward.

That's generous, seeing Fog has a genuine issue with finding ways to be involved in the game as a forward.

It's the spot McAsey should be targeting as well, and it's very doable.

Last edited:
Not many spots though. Thilthorpe is a lock, Fog the mid leading type, Tex plays most games, so can't see how he gets much of a crack in 2022 up forward.

To be honest, I'd bring Tex back after the bye. I mean, I know we won't but he'd be a massive help for the SANFL side. He'd be a great player to play an extra year or two in the SANFL

That's generous.

Fog is the player McAsey should be looking at beating. It's very doable.

No disrespect here but he kicked 24 last year in an absolute shitshow of a midfield with helicopter kicks, when he is a leading fwd. He still has lots to work on and hopefully his fitness levels go up a lot of notches in the next few years but the kid is a genuine player. This should be the year Darc gets more than 35 and averages 11+ possies a game

No disrespect here but he kicked 24 last year in an absolute shitshow of a midfield with helicopter kicks, when he is a leading fwd. He still has lots to work on and hopefully his fitness levels go up a lot of notches in the next few years but the kid is a genuine player. This should be the year Darc gets more than 35 and averages 11+ possies a game

Darcy averaging 11+ disposals will most likely never happen. After all, we've had 4 years of fitness improvements and it hasn't made one tiny bit of difference to his game. He is the same player we had come to us at the end of 2017 (plus Thilthorpe will prevent him from being a roaming player long term).

The most likely reality with Darcy is he is an incredibly limited player who only has a shot at carving a niche at this level due to his set shot being as close to automatic as it gets, as the rest of his game doesn't even hold up that well at SANFL level at this point. A player who could be a budget Josh Jenkins if the club is desperate. I'll be happy if he proves me wrong, but at this point, it doesn't look likely as I highly doubt he's the unprofessional sort.

If your McAsey, this is the spot to target because it really won't take much to win it (not factoring in Gollant).

Not sure Tex gets most games..
Nicks was adamant last yr that while Tex was going well he needed to produce that sort of level week in week out to keep his spot.
Tex was a passenger for 3 yrs before his return to form last yr.
Will be great for him to have another excellent start but a few lean weeks and he will be looking over his shoulder.

Not sure Tex gets most games..
Nicks was adamant last yr that while Tex was going well he needed to produce that sort of level week in week out to keep his spot.
Tex was a passenger for 3 yrs before his return to form last yr.
Will be great for him to have another excellent start but a few lean weeks and he will be looking over his shoulder.

He won’t be playing 2s unless it’s a 1-2 game tune up after injury. Once in he’ll play at least 8 or 9 and if his form requires it, he’ll get a week off before playing out the year. I hope he’s managed differently if he’s struggling physically, but I have no reason the be confident yet.

Back