Recommitted Fischer McAsey - signed contract extension until 2023

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
How should a first year KPD acquite himself? He played 10 games, in the worst side that year.
I say he did enough.
You guys took Sam De Koning with a first round pick in the same year. How many games did he play? How did he acquit himself? I mean obviously a lot less than Fisher did.
How about your first pick in the 2019 draft? Cooper Stephens? How has he acquitted himself so far? Like de Koning he has done nothing.
Fisher has done fine for a first year player in a KPD role.

That's the thing though. Doing nothing is better than playing and playing below expectations.

PS would not trade SDK for him. Straight swap for Stephens can be arranged ;)

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Given the club has come out & said they think he is close to signing a new deal... we are going to find out soon whether they really know what is going on.

I don't know who to believe given the conflicting reports.

Doesn’t sound like our club to say publicly that a player is close to re-signing when they know privately that is not the case.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Everyone probably needs one developing on their list. He wouldn’t be best 22 next year.
Freo dont need anymore tall defenders. Freo have plenty tall defenders over 190cm or taller even if a couple are injury prone: Alex Pearce, Joel Hamling, Griffen Logue, Brennan Cox, Taylin Duman and 1st year player Heath chapman

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
How should a first year KPD acquite himself? He played 10 games, in the worst side that year.
I say he did enough.
You guys took Sam De Koning with a first round pick in the same year. How many games did he play? How did he acquit himself? I mean obviously a lot less than Fisher did.
How about your first pick in the 2019 draft? Cooper Stephens? How has he acquitted himself so far? Like de Koning he has done nothing.
Fisher has done fine for a first year player in a KPD role.
Given the club has come out & said they think he is close to signing a new deal... we are going to find out soon whether they really know what is going on.

I don't know who to believe given the conflicting reports.
After seeing Yesterdays Advertiser, It said that the crows board will sign McAsey to a new deal within a month.

Freo dont need anymore tall defenders. Freo have plenty tall defenders over 190cm or taller even if a couple are injury prone: Alex Pearce, Joel Hamling, Griffen Logue, Brennan Cox, Taylin Duman and 1st year player Heath chapman
We'd take any one of those players thanks.
We really need another KPD

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Do St Kilda really need a key defender?
Yep. Probably the biggest hole in our list is a second tall defender.

Howard is the number 1.
Carlisle is 30 this year, his body is not what it was and Ratts doesn't seem to be a big fan.
Frawley is 34 and an insurance pickup for a year (2 max).
Wilkie, Highmore and Coffield are more your third tall / intercepting types. All will probably struggle for size and strength against a genuine KPF or resting ruck.
Clavarino is our developing defender, but probably not AFL quality

The type of player McAsey was projected to be, is exactly what we need. List manager is ex-Adelaide, has close ties to the Crows and went after B.Crouch last year.

Would be up to our eyeballs in this I would have thought. Assuming we finish top 6 again, pick 12-18 might be on the table (with maybe the Crows 3rd - a late 30s pick - coming back)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Im genuinely surprised Richmond has not been mentioned as a possible destination for McAsey
Dave Astbury turns 31 in feb 2022 and most likely wont go too far past 32

1 year learning our system and play alongside Noah Balta

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s widely accepted the Saints have met with him. I just wondered if there was something that made you state it’s between us and the Saints.
Him and his parents are absolutely mad bulldogs fans, though I know that doesn’t affect much in the AFL world. And we in need of a long term KPD. Having him means we don’t need to put Naughton back.

Back