Food, Drink & Dining Out Fish and Chips

Remove this Banner Ad

Best- Altona.

One of the worst Apollo Bay they just drenched everything in too much salt yuck.

The pub on the Main Street there used to do good fish and chips. I remember it had a restaurant side and a pub side. If you went to the pub side it was much cheaper for the same thing.

The pub on the Main Street there used to do good fish and chips. I remember it had a restaurant side and a pub side. If you went to the pub side it was much cheaper for the same thing.
Haven't been to the pub for years. Will check them out next time I'm down there.
Cheers. :thumbsu:

In AB? I remember that pub ripping me off big time with a spaghetti marinara, there was hardly any seafood in it. Should have told them to gagfd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a few around my area, have tried every one a few times (Fri night tradition) and found the best and most consistent. Occasionally will branch out and make sure a particular one is still s**t. Flake, 2 potato cakes and either two calamari or two steamed dimmies, depends on how I'm feeling. If I'm feeling really adventurous I might get a beef croquette or something, crazy scenes.

I have a few around my area, have tried every one a few times (Fri night tradition) and found the best and most consistent. Occasionally will branch out and make sure a particular one is still s**t. Flake, 2 potato cakes and either two calamari or two steamed dimmies, depends on how I'm feeling. If I'm feeling really adventurous I might get a beef croquette or something, crazy scenes.

I go grilled flake (am a convert from battered to grilled), 2 potato cakes, 3 steamed dim sims no sauce.

Occasionally I go the burger. Fish and chip shop burgers are very good.

whats the default around the country when you ask for a serve of fish n chips?
in perth where I grew up it was usually flake and battered

when I moved to qld without thinking about it came crumbed! crumbed! devastated I was
I now remember to ask for battered!

I have two places I like - tally valley fish n chips
and the fishmonger in Burleigh heads

whats the default around the country when you ask for a serve of fish n chips?
in perth where I grew up it was usually flake and battered
Battered and flake seems the default option in Victoria.

I seem to be in the minority but I almost always ask for couta. Love the texture and flavour, not many other people seem to order it though because of the bones.

Battered and flake seems the default option in Victoria.

I seem to be in the minority but I almost always ask for couta. Love the texture and flavour, not many other people seem to order it though because of the bones.
Couta is great. But I expect we are in the minority cos most fish and chip buyers want to engulf and not enjoy.:)

Couta is great. But I expect we are in the minority cos most fish and chip buyers want to engulf and not enjoy.:)
I really like my local guy, does a great couta but he describes it as 'old school' and a couple of weeks ago I heard him telling a customer that 'that's what our grandparents would have ordered'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back