Food, Drink & Dining Out Fish and Chips

Remove this Banner Ad

Every 2 years Cologne hosts the world's biggest food trade show. It is massive with countries from all over the globe exhibiting their finest
food and produce.

For example -

anuga beef.jpg

and this

anuga parma.jpg

And this

anuga vion.jpg

And then i came across this - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
I didn't know they still made these things let alone embarrassingly trying to flog them to the world.

chiko.jpg

Yeah I don't do seafood at all. We've got 15 FnC joints within spitting distance of mine and 2 of those have standout chips and potato cakes. One of those does a better burger so I go there when I'm feeling that, and the other does a great souva so I go there when I'm feeling that. simples.

No Dim Sims in Canada. **** that.

They dont have them in the UK.

First time I got fish n chips with some british friends that had nfi what i was whinging about (ie. the fact there were no dim sims)

They also had no idea what "lemon lime and bitters" was too. You would freaken piss yourself at my attempt describing it to a bartender at a comedy club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And then i came across this - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
I didn't know they still made these things let alone embarrassingly trying to flog them to the world.

View attachment 579703

Yet out of those photos you posted they're the only stall with a crowd???

If they were true to form they would have had a leather-clad busty blonde straddling a Harley as part of their exhibit. Chuck in a Galaga machine and the line would be out the door....

Not a staple of traditional fish n chip shop but fishermen’s basket is pretty good

whats the default around the country when you ask for a serve of fish n chips?
in perth where I grew up it was usually flake and battered

when I moved to qld without thinking about it came crumbed! crumbed! devastated I was
I now remember to ask for battered!

I have two places I like - tally valley fish n chips
and the fishmonger in Burleigh heads

Battered Butterfish is our default.

Ha. I remember those things. A lot of places sell a proper crab leg though.

Yeah I dont think i've ever seen a shop sell crab sticks thats actually crab. It would be 5 times the price.

God damn every time I see this thread I want to eat fish and chips.

Fresh calamari and scallops are must haves. If they only have frozen, the good old fish stick will do the trick.

Had the worst F&C ever in Port Douglas yesterday.

Embarrassingly poor
If I go into a fish and chip shop and there's an Asian at the counter, I walk straight out. Not being racist. But they run the worst ones. In my experience. I dont know if 'Greek bloke running a fish and chip shop' is a thing still like it was back in the day, but the one near my house growing up in the 90s was like that and it was always fantastic. Now a lot of stores give you f all for your money, often its frozen cheap s**t where the quality is inferior.

If I go into a fish and chip shop and there's an Asian at the counter, I walk straight out. Not being racist. But they run the worst ones. In my experience. I dont know if 'Greek bloke running a fish and chip shop' is a thing still like it was back in the day, but the one near my house growing up in the 90s was like that and it was always fantastic. Now a lot of stores give you f all for your money, often its frozen cheap s**t where the quality is inferior.
Depends on the shop as it always has. The best shop in our area which is a very good one is owned by an Chinese family.

There was Japanese run one in Caulfield or Bentliegh that was excellent ...a long time ago

Theres still really good ones in old not too touristy sea side towns usually near fish co op.

Most are just bassa and frozen imported barra now days and frozen chips

FTA agreements mean we export our good fish and import crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back