Coalface

Team Captain
Mar 1, 2015
Jakarta
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fish Creek Football Club
Was pretty surprised to see the following article in the Fairfax Press today, though the implications about the decline of grass roots footy, particularly in my hometown was a bit depressing, with a prediction of the club likely merging in the next few years. :(

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...alls-shrinking-ecosystem-20161208-gt6x5h.html

I'm a 3rd generation Creeker myself, and played fourths and thirds in my youth, albeit terribly. Being one of the smallest towns in the district, the mighty Fish Creek Kangaroos have always punched above their weight in the league... 18 seniors premierships since 1953, though don't be fooled by the population figure quoted in the article and displayed proudly at the entrance of the town. (the real story behind that is that apparently a town needs over 200 people to get an official population sign, so in the 90s the town progress committee ran with that and put up the "population 201" sign and it's been there ever since).

The clubs most famous AFL exports are probably Wayne Weideman and Barry Stanfield, though my great uncle, a local legend and premiership captain/coach at the club played a limited number of games for Fitzroy in the mid 30s.

Greatly saddened by this as an old Creeker myself. Played in the 2s in the late 50s with occasional after match promotions to 19/20th for the seniors in the days I could play 2 games in one day. I remember my mum being a bit pissed about me doing this at a young age. Two of my younger brothers played for The Creek too.
Last time I visited the town I met my old coach who was trundling down the main street on a mobility scooter.
Time passes.

bu bu bu the players need more money!

AFL need to pull their fingers out or we will be raising a generation of soccer players.

Was pretty surprised to see the following article in the Fairfax Press today, though the implications about the decline of grass roots footy, particularly in my hometown was a bit depressing, with a prediction of the club likely merging in the next few years. :(

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...alls-shrinking-ecosystem-20161208-gt6x5h.html

I'm a 3rd generation Creeker myself, and played fourths and thirds in my youth, albeit terribly. Being one of the smallest towns in the district, the mighty Fish Creek Kangaroos have always punched above their weight in the league... 18 seniors premierships since 1953, though don't be fooled by the population figure quoted in the article and displayed proudly at the entrance of the town. (the real story behind that is that apparently a town needs over 200 people to get an official population sign, so in the 90s the town progress committee ran with that and put up the "population 201" sign and it's been there ever since).

The clubs most famous AFL exports are probably Wayne Weideman and Barry Stanfield, though my great uncle, a local legend and premiership captain/coach at the club played a limited number of games for Fitzroy in the mid 30s.
The Alberton league has always been in a state of flux though, hasn't it? It seems like every season there are new teams merging and others breaking apart after merging in the years prior, or leaving before re-joining the league. Proud league with a proud history though so hopefully they can keep it afloat.

Interesting to hear about the West Gippy league. Is it a new league or a breakaway from the EDFL with Alberton teams joining as well?

Have no sympathy for the Alberton league. All the clubs ganged up and kicked Wonthaggi out because they said they were too strong. Now they're sooking cos others want to play in a stronger competition?!

Interesting to hear about the West Gippy league. Is it a new league or a breakaway from the EDFL with Alberton teams joining as well?

West gippy was incorporated into the edfl a while back however the composite league was pretty well dominated by the former west gippy teams with greater access to melbourne players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back