Games & Recreation Fishing

Remove this Banner Ad

Went for a fish in moreton bay this morning, got a couple of nice squire before the weather went nasty then went in the pummicestone passage for a pb flathead.

As far as anything big goes not really, no, never :(

Went for a fish in moreton bay this morning, got a couple of nice squire before the weather went nasty then went in the pummicestone passage for a pb flathead.

As far as anything big goes not really, no, never :(
Sounds alright, i'm generally happy to just be getting bites. Catching something just makes it worth while, haha.

Spewing that I get sea-sick easily, anyone got any remedies? Tried tablets and all that s**t.

I hate jetty fishing. Always packed. Nothing worse than trying to cast shoulder to shoulder with every one else. I like going for a fish in the river off the sand. Haven't been beach fishing in ages. Looking at getting a kayak sometime in the future.

Don't fish much but I had one interesting experience, brother lives at Pt Lincoln and he took us out (to his spot) in his tinny.
Day was calm and it was sunny, we were sitting there for a while without any luck, my brother was feeling a little embarrassed.

All of a sudden clouds came over and blocked the sun and King George whiting came out from everywhere. 40 cm long, one after the next, 4 of us as soon as the rod went back in the water another one was hooked within seconds, it was unbelievable.

The clouds went within half an hour and after we caught no more but by that stage we had so many it didn't matter.

My suggestion is look for those kind of days (calm with cloud cover).

Ive lived in Perth, Adelaide and Sydney and covered a fair few fishing areas. Maybe a bit biased having been born in Perth but I think that has the best fishing. Would love to go up to the NT and go for after some barra one day

Don't fish much but I had one interesting experience, brother lives at Pt Lincoln and he took us out (to his spot) in his tinny.
Day was calm and it was sunny, we were sitting there for a while without any luck, my brother was feeling a little embarrassed.

All of a sudden clouds came over and blocked the sun and King George whiting came out from everywhere. 40 cm long, one after the next, 4 of us as soon as the rod went back in the water another one was hooked within seconds, it was unbelievable.

The clouds went within half an hour and after we caught no more but by that stage we had so many it didn't matter.

My suggestion is look for those kind of days (calm with cloud cover).

i used to visit the area in the 80's. magical fishing.

One nite off a jetty in the spencer gulf, there was a full moon and only one cloud in the sky. We were sitting there half the nite fishing for big snapper. the moment the moon went behind the cloud, off went the handline. 12 kilos or protien later...

I live down Barwon Heads way and love a fish. On a full moon blokes catch up to 20kg mulloway off the bridge over the river. Can get pretty packed along any of the good river spots where trevally are probably the best fish to target. Gotta fish it on a slack tide or you get a lot of seaweed.

Plenty of good fishing around in the bay further along the Bellarine for my favourite 2 eating fish - whiting & flatties.

I never get out enough though. And would love a boat to target the snapper from November-ish.

Would love to catch a decent snapper, only ever caught pinkies. Have discovered that spinning from the beach is a very underrated method. Use to just throw out the surf rod and sit back and watch but there's nothing better than wading out hip deep and jigging about.

One of the most relaxing things you can do but don't live near the beach to enjoy it as often as I would like.

Adelaide used to have a great 'secret' place, from Middle Beach down is a series of dams that feed other dams heading south all the way to near Wingfield dump, for salt harvesting. The first dam had four pumps feeding water straight from a mangrove estuary and we used to sneak in just before dark for some great fishing.Monster KG whiting, 2 kilo bream, massive flathead...and at night I would walk along a with a torch and a net and scoop up prawns, blue swimmers and flounder. It was said that every species that frequent the mangrove nurseries in SA was represented heavily in those dams, and it was a secret fishing spot whose knowledge was handed down from father to son(and the odd friend). Apparently it is impossible to get in there now

Adelaide used to have a great 'secret' place, from Middle Beach down is a series of dams that feed other dams heading south all the way to near Wingfield dump, for salt harvesting. The first dam had four pumps feeding water straight from a mangrove estuary and we used to sneak in just before dark for some great fishing.Monster KG whiting, 2 kilo bream, massive flathead...and at night I would walk along a with a torch and a net and scoop up prawns, blue swimmers and flounder. It was said that every species that frequent the mangrove nurseries in SA was represented heavily in those dams, and it was a secret fishing spot whose knowledge was handed down from father to son(and the odd friend). Apparently it is impossible to get in there now
Sounds like heaven. I'm salivating reading those species!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big old bump.

Anyone know if there's any good fishing off the beaches near Cheltenham/Mentone?

I would love to know.

I live in Mentone but know nothing about anybody fishing from the beach there. Maybe half moon bay?

Big old bump.

Anyone know if there's any good fishing off the beaches near Cheltenham/Mentone?

I would love to know.

I live in Mentone but know nothing about anybody fishing from the beach there. Maybe half moon bay?

Apparently catching squid for fun off the Mornington pier if you're after a feed. As for catching anything more enjoyable, not sure you're going to have much luck. Maybe head towards San Remo/Phillip Island on a Saturday/Sunday for a fish via the Tackle World store in Cranbourne and ask in there, they're usually pretty good with letting people know.

Worst thing about living in Melbourne is how far you have to drive to get a decent spot.

Apparently catching squid for fun off the Mornington pier if you're after a feed. As for catching anything more enjoyable, not sure you're going to have much luck. Maybe head towards San Remo/Phillip Island on a Saturday/Sunday for a fish via the Tackle World store in Cranbourne and ask in there, they're usually pretty good with letting people know.

Worst thing about living in Melbourne is how far you have to drive to get a decent spot.

Mordi pier used to have brighter lights that attracted lots of squid. Was a nice spot

Bump.

I'm feeling too Melbournised, and feel like having a fish. Anywhere in the northern suburbs that's good? I was looking at Merri Creek in Coburg, but unsure as to what runs through it.

Bump.

I'm feeling too Melbournised, and feel like having a fish. Anywhere in the northern suburbs that's good? I was looking at Merri Creek in Coburg, but unsure as to what runs through it.
I honestly never knew it fished that well but it looks like I’m wrong...

Not sure i would eat anything from it though....

If you are in a travelling mood... I hear Karkarook lake down my way is good, but i keep seeing reports on Eildon Pondage.

Bump.

As someone that lives in the area I would avoid it. Head on over to Maribyrnong Road, the bridge next to the Anglers Tavern always has a few people and you can walk up along the path and cast in anywhere. Always a few folk fishing under the bridge and along the stretch there.

https://fishingmad.com.au/location/maribrynong-river

there-are-worse-ways-to-spend-a-sunny-day.jpg

As someone that lives in the area I would avoid it. Head on over to Maribyrnong Road, the bridge next to the Anglers Tavern always has a few people and you can walk up along the path and cast in anywhere. Always a few folk fishing under the bridge and along the stretch there.

https://fishingmad.com.au/location/maribrynong-river

there-are-worse-ways-to-spend-a-sunny-day.jpg
Lived in Aberfeldie near the nursery/cricket grounds for a few years .
The river fishes really well . I would work up from there to the bridge .
Plenty of Bream around and heard you could get decent Mulloway around the bridge.

Had a few sessions landing 4-5 on light gear , good fun .

Finally got a new rod and there's a whole new issue I didn't think about: water toxicity.

I had no idea that many of the rivers in Melbourne produced inedible fish due to high content of heavy metals. Is there anywhere in the Northern suburbs that produced edible fish? I've heard that the upper Yarra areas are safe, but not actually sure where.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back