Roast FishingRick04, you were wrong!!! Justin Westhoff B&F winner 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hey I’m rarely wrong. Still yet to be proven to be here. I like the Hoff, he’s a good guy, this year was his highest in effort and consistency, I still argue he throws our balance of our team out because, just because

6001AFDE-D15F-4041-BBCC-601BE6259FCD.gif

Hey I’m rarely wrong. Still yet to be proven to be here. I like the Hoff, he’s a good guy, this year was his highest in effort and consistency, I still argue he throws our balance of our team out because, just because

Because he gives us flexibility ?

I read this in Trump's voice.

Justine Westhoff from failing Port Power doesn't have a real Position and has no (or zero) premierships. Should be traded. Sad!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Westhoff is a bit like Shane Watson, Andrew Flintoff and the dream of an all rounder. A player who can average 40-50 with the bat and 20-30 with the bowl. Every team wants one but few get one. It’s a pipe dream, such players are once in a every few generations type player, smarter to just play an extra batsman or bowler.

So what’s the supposed versatility that Westhoff offers? A tall key forward who kicks goals, can push onto a wing as an extra midfielder and drop back in defence.

So as a forward he has kicked more than 30 goals in a season twice. Career stats: 1.2 goals a game. 16 touches, 2.8 tackles, 5.7 marks.

Gunston essentially has the same stats but kicks 2 goals a game. Jack Darling similar, 1.9 goals, 12 touches.

So is his versatility actually giving us anything extra? Is he just our crutch we fall back on when games get tough? What do teams without him do?

Most teams play at least two ‘tall’ forwards. One ruck/forward and one roaming CHF. So Westie’s forward role is covered in most set ups. His movements on the wing or HFF are covered in most set ups. And in defence, their rucks, intercept defenders or forward drops back in the hole to cover.

So are we getting anything extra from JW? Is he providing something that no other side gets? Or is he providing us the hope of Botham, Kallis, Dev, Sobers or Khan but delivering Watson? Ie a guy who does everything ok and produces brilliance as much as he goes missing.

He had a cracking year last year. He has been a great servant of the club. And perhaps it is time we stop leaning up him as our crutch and move on to someone who may give us more.

Remember when we gave Justin ‘absolute weapon most dangerous and dominant utility in history’ Westhoff the Best and Fairest award? That was fun.

Remember when he played really well last year and that's why he was rewarded with a B&F? Yeah, me too.

I know it's always been your thing to take whatever the last bad thing a player you don't like did and use that to invalidate their entire career, but whatever one may think of Westhoff's form this year it doesn't take away from what he did in 2018. And given that your last sarcastic hot take was a defence of Aidyn Johnson's selection in the Showdown, maybe cool it on the sarcasm for a while.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Westhoff is a bit like Shane Watson, Andrew Flintoff and the dream of an all rounder. A player who can average 40-50 with the bat and 20-30 with the bowl. Every team wants one but few get one. It’s a pipe dream, such players are once in a every few generations type player, smarter to just play an extra batsman or bowler.

So what’s the supposed versatility that Westhoff offers? A tall key forward who kicks goals, can push onto a wing as an extra midfielder and drop back in defence.

So as a forward he has kicked more than 30 goals in a season twice. Career stats: 1.2 goals a game. 16 touches, 2.8 tackles, 5.7 marks.

Gunston essentially has the same stats but kicks 2 goals a game. Jack Darling similar, 1.9 goals, 12 touches.

So is his versatility actually giving us anything extra? Is he just our crutch we fall back on when games get tough? What do teams without him do?

Most teams play at least two ‘tall’ forwards. One ruck/forward and one roaming CHF. So Westie’s forward role is covered in most set ups. His movements on the wing or HFF are covered in most set ups. And in defence, their rucks, intercept defenders or forward drops back in the hole to cover.

So are we getting anything extra from JW? Is he providing something that no other side gets? Or is he providing us the hope of Botham, Kallis, Dev, Sobers or Khan but delivering Watson? Ie a guy who does everything ok and produces brilliance as much as he goes missing.

He had a cracking year last year. He has been a great servant of the club. And perhaps it is time we stop leaning up him as our crutch and move on to someone who may give us more.
Westhoff used correctly is fine, in fact he's damn valuable. Used correctly is we have 2 KPF's, 2 rucks, with the one not rucking resting forward. This leaves him as either dragging a KPD up the ground to cover him, leaving us a KPF on an undersized defender (oh how I dream of the day it goes our way for once!) or he's up the ground matched up on a small and can take advantage.

The problem is that Hinkley uses him as a quasi-half a KPF that is the worst of all worlds most of the time. If we structured up right up forward and down back he plays a valuable role. If Hinkley won't do that (and he won't) then if he's not in top flight form (and Hoff isn't this year), he has no place in the side until one of those things changes.

Westhoff’s form dips when Dixon isn’t in the side taking a genuine double team (not the fake double team that was actually a zone that Frampton saw).

More at 11.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Westhoff’s form dips when Dixon isn’t in the side taking a genuine double team (not the fake double team that was actually a zone that Frampton saw).

More at 11.

Nah. Westhoff’s impact hasn’t changed since Dixon has been in the side. Last year was a solid rise in form, the other two were no different to the pre Dixon years. If he kicked straight things would be different, but he doesn’t and he remains an unreliable set shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back