Roast FishingRick04, you were wrong!!! Justin Westhoff B&F winner 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

How about we bring another forward in so he can actually roam. Then he can help out the defence and take game saving marks as well as catch out the oppos backline by drifting forward sparingly (rather than be relied upon as a target) and can take an easy mark on a medium sized player. And obviously also be involved in the buildup play more (contested marks down the line, involved in the chain etc).

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How about we bring another forward in so he can actually roam. Then he can help out the defence and take game saving marks as well as catch out the oppos backline by drifting forward sparingly (rather than be relied upon as a target) and can take an easy mark on a medium sized player. And obviously also be involved in the buildup play more (contested marks down the line, involved in the chain etc).

Guess my point, is he actually that good at doing any of that? Is he any better than an intercept marker in defence? Or a genuine winger like Duursma? How many marks down the line does he and will he take? Why do no other teams have a player like him if he is that good and plays such an important role?

Guess my point, is he actually that good at doing any of that? Is he any better than an intercept marker in defence? Or a genuine winger like Duursma? How many marks down the line does he and will he take? Why do no other teams have a player like him if he is that good and plays such an important role?

Motlop is supposed to be a winger and is not doing anything of note. Amon, Duursma, (and Bonner in China) did well there. I reckon we can afford to try it.

As for why most clubs don’t have Hoffs of their own, I reckon endurance plays a big part. Hoff has a big tank.

Nah. Westhoff’s impact hasn’t changed since Dixon has been in the side. Last year was a solid rise in form, the other two were no different to the pre Dixon years. If he kicked straight things would be different, but he doesn’t and he remains an unreliable set shot.

Goals are the only thing you can really criticise him for. He’s dropped from 1.1 per game last year to 0.7 a game this year. He kicked 0.7 a game in 2017 as well...which was the last time we played a high press.

Incidentally, Ryder is having a better year as a forward/ruck than Jackson Trengove had in 2017, even without Dixon playing.

I’m waiting for our key forward to come back to the side.

FishingRick04 you get no points for a 10 year vendetta finally paying off when a player starts slowing down at 32 after 260 games.

I reckon I’d win because more of those seasons he’s been at best average compared to above average.

christ people really love westhoff for some reason

He does the occasional freaky thing and it makes an imprint.

They choose to forget the token throw one hand out half heart tackle and lack of enthusiasm to impact the play however

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks

They choose to forget the token throw one hand out half heart tackle and lack of enthusiasm to impact the play however

This year I'd agree but for the time Hinkley has been with us he's been very consistent and expected to play a multitude of roles. Saying he does the occasional freaky thing is either a personal thing or ignorance and I couldn't accuse you of not having seen him play regularly.

His B&F results are
2013 - 4th
2014 - 4th
2015 - 5th
2016 - 10th
2017 - 10th
2018 - 1st

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 16, 2009
Latvia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
christ people really love westhoff for some reason

Which one man with beard?

Fawlty%2BTowers.%2BThe%2BBuilders.%2Bpart%2B12..wmv%2B%2B-%2BYouTube.jpg

Some people have a ridiculous vendetta against him, ignore his hard work, and his versatility. He has been down on form this year, and people are quick to jump on. The facts are in the previous few years, he has been a good to very good player, who has filled a variety of roles.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 12, 2003
Drowning my sorrows on the end of some bar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
NUFC, Green Bay
Some people have a ridiculous vendetta against him, ignore his hard work, and his versatility. He has been down on form this year, and people are quick to jump on. The facts are in the previous few years, he has been a good to very good player, who has filled a variety of roles.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with this, however if you have a down year when you are over 30 the knives will come out.

my only question is who is knocking down the door to replace him if we do move him on.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree with this, however if you have a down year when you are over 30 the knives will come out.

my only question is who is knocking down the door to replace him if we do move him on.
It depends what you want from the replacement. If you want an extra midfielder we've got those. Same with tall defenders. If you're talking the theoretical ideal Westhoff role, where Hinkley has played enough tall forwards (2 KPF plus the resting ruck, so almost never happens in reality) that he forces a mismatch in our favour in the centre or drags a KPD up the ground, then long term I'd like Marshall to play that role. Again this in on the proviso that there's already two KPF's up forward, so he wouldn't be 'Hoffed' into some s**t quasi-KPF 'not really anything, usually of little help' role Hinkley's selections results in us playing.

It depends what you want from the replacement. If you want an extra midfielder we've got those. Same with tall defenders. If you're talking the theoretical ideal Westhoff role, where Hinkley has played enough tall forwards (2 KPF plus the resting ruck, so almost never happens in reality) that he forces a mismatch in our favour in the centre or drags a KPD up the ground, then long term I'd like Marshall to play that role. Again this in on the proviso that there's already two KPF's up forward, so he wouldn't be 'Hoffed' into some **** quasi-KPF 'not really anything, usually of little help' role Hinkley's selections results in us playing.

Used correctly Hoff could still be an asset.

But you know, Kern.

i don't think anyone will. he literally plays "the westhoff role" which is useful when we're good and anonymous when we're bad.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Marshall is nothing like westhoff

He doesn’t have westhoffs running ability at all. Will be a better forward than westhoff.

Westhoff is fairly unique in the afl so the idea we have to have a replacement for him is a strange one. If we did want a tall midfielder josh Worrell is looking like that but still shorter than westhoff.

But In reality the best running midfielder should replace him.

Last edited:

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Westhoff still has a role to play on the wing or as the loose man if we weren't playing 9 defenders. At the moment he's an out of form and down on confidence forward suffering from a limited supply.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Westhoff hasn’t even been that bad this year. The people complaining most about him now have literally always been haters.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We’re definitely not playing westhoff to his strengths this year, and Hinkley counting westhoff as a tall forward and not playing a key forward because of that is hurting our team structurally. Still I expect westhoff will go around next year and can live with that. I think Hinkley is a bigger problem.

PORT COACH counting westhoff as a tall forward and not playing a key forward because of that is hurting our team structurally.
The Westhoff AFL story in one line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back