Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Jan 8, 2001
On the 'Group W' bench.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
What was the first pub gig you ever went to?

Mine was Moving Pictures at Ritchies. My older cousins took me and I was hooked not so much by the band (they were terrible) but by the whole blue smoke/people/noise thing.

The Push at luna park, Living End & Gyroscope and a pleather of other bands. The day was spent going on all the rides because they were free :) then just before the living end came on stage, a mate and i were standing there and Chris, Scotty and Andy just bumped in to us and said 'sorry guys'...bloody awesome day..

A truly momentou event for me. Saw Dio at Festival Hall in '86. My impressionable 15 year old mind was blown, and changed for ever. My jaw was on the floor for the entire 1.5 hour journey home. That was the moment music became an obsession for me. A life changing moment. Thank you, Mr Ronnie James!!!!

What was the first pub gig you ever went to?

Mine was Moving Pictures at Ritchies. My older cousins took me and I was hooked not so much by the band (they were terrible) but by the whole blue smoke/people/noise thing.

Moving Pictures :eek: .It's a wonder you wern't turned off live gigs for life local! Have you ever forgiven your cousins?

Am pretty sure it was The Triffids in 83-84 at the Club in Collingwood.

I was there!!!! RIP Dave McComb.

First pub gig was probably INXS at the Collendina Hotel Ocean Grove, about 1981.
First band I saw was Avalanche, circa 1975, in the high school gym, with Geoff Cox (yep, the fat bloke on the telly) on drums.
First overseas act was David Bowie at the MCG 1977, supported by the Angels.

First show i remember seeing ( pretty sure it was the first bit vague on it ) was the "One for the kids" @ the lake oval in about 84

Oils topped the bill with the Divynils and the Dynamic Hepnotics

Second ever show i remember very well because i still rate it as one of the most sublime things i have ever seen .

The oils @ Kooyong in 85 ... sensational ... still remember Rob Hirst doing "Outside World" with the drum kit on top of the scaffolding ... who else nearly got turfed out for piffing the carpet squares ?

Can`t remember the first pub gig ... would have been the oils or the Angels from that ilk

Not really a Pub gig but "The Police" at Memorial Drive. Was absolutely brilliant too. Still can't beleive that my folks let a 13 year old girl catch a bus to/from Morphett Vale and walk 1km home alone afterwards. Those were the days......

1st pub gig was a few years later-Cold Chisel at Adelaide Uni.

Not a bad double, if I do say so myself :)

Mach Pelican, Area 7 & Jebediah at the Saloon Bar in Launceston. I was pushed up against a speaker the whole night and was deaf for about a week but I loved it
I'd seen a few bands at town halls and stuff but that was the first in a pub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First gig was seeing KISS at Rod Laver, 2002 or 2003 i think. MGF and Grinspoon supported, great gig.

However, no pub gigs. :p

First gig was seeing KISS at Rod Laver, 2002 or 2003 i think. MGF and Grinspoon supported, great gig.

However, no pub gigs. :p

You've gotta feel sorry for the under 30's - who missed out on the pub scene when it was booming - especially in Melbourne.

The good old days. Gone, but not forgotten.:(

Smashing Pumpkins on their last tour of Australia (adore). It wasn't the best setlist..

As for first pub gig. It was Grinspoon's black friday tour - Grinspoon, Shihad and the Testeagles.

Metallica at Festival Hall in 1989.
It was on the Justice tour and remains a highlight to this day even after having gone to at least another 100 or so concerts from International acts.

The oils @ Kooyong in 85 ... sensational ... still remember Rob Hirst doing "Outside World" with the drum kit on top of the scaffolding ... who else nearly got turfed out for piffing the carpet squares ?

ROFLcopters... as soon as you mentioned the oils at Kooyong I knew the bit about the piffing carpet squares would get a guernsey.

For me I think it was Ted Egen in Alice Springs in 1984. It fkg went off too, don't let anybody tell you otherswise.

KISS @ Rod Laver in '95. Waited 15 years to see them.Even though they weren't wearing makeup the show kicked major ass.Best concert ever been to would be KISS on '97 Reunion Tour.Just the magic of the whole expeience.

Midnight Oil at the Lyric in Geelong for their Greatest Hits tour. The only other pub gig I've seen was Psuedo Echo at the same location, however I have been to other concerts so don't feel too sorry for me Lidge :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back